R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to vi3tishduy
Default What to Buy...

Whats up guys, I'm getting some batteries from ProMatch since they are on sale. I have atleast 150 left to spend, as of now, I have a Futaba 2PL Radio it was around 45 dollars, and I have a Hitec 645mg Servo, and a F1ProReverse 100 dollars, what should I buy? I'm transfering over to a RDX
vi3tishduy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Tech Master

Get an IPC Pro Sport instead of an F1 Pro Rev.

Much better ESC
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

as it seems you are going to be racing, i would try to find a way to get an FM radio, as my experience with AM has given me very many glitching problems. But thats only my 2 cents.

But if you could, get yoruself a quality charger. You can probably find a millenium pro or pulsar competition for pretty cheap now (ive heard people get a pulsar comp for about 70 bux) And then tires, get some good tires. Thats my 2 cents.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I have a peak charger pirana from Duratrax that my friend recommended me. I guess its pretty good, for the Promatching batteries, do I need a dischrager? If so would the Novak Discharge tray work? And the IPC sport, how much is it? And the radio i have is FM
Old 11-27-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the T2PL is not an FM radio.
However my mate has one and its pretty good.
IPC Pro sport should cost anywhere around $100.If you already have an ESC don't bother with another.
The novak discharge tray is excellent. One of the best at the moment.
If possible get a LOT of popular tyres and a set of tuning springs. Those will not help you complete the 'collection' but they'll keep your car on the track longer.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Man, that girl is hot... But anyways, Dont bother getting new esc, so I wont, ah New radio mabye? Do i need the discharger for the Nimh cells? If so whats it going to do?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:56 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol she is ..
oh, yes back to RC.
You won't get any radio competition grade radio with that budget (no disrespect) so i would say don't bother as well. No point spending 150 on a radio, then covetting an M8 or a 3PK.

Theoretically there is no need for discharging Nimh cells but we all do it because it seems to extend battery life and give better performance. The hottest discharge tray is the Novak tray, followed by the Rayspeed Exceed tray. If you use these, you'll have to drive your car till it crawls ( dumps ). then tray your cells before charging again. If you have a charger that can discharge at 10A -20A then you can discharge the cells on it before moving on to the tray(this way is faster, but far more costly). The point is to tray 'em.

You should be able to get a tray or 2 at $150.

These things are more candy than anything else, so get the sweetest one while you're at it. The really important stuff are tyres, tyres and more tyres.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:10 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

lee82gx mentions some very important points. Your going racin right?

Save cash for:
-spare parts,spare parts
-the right tires
-motor legal for the class u will run in
-spring set for tuning the car
-build a custom full width front bumper.
-TC body, alfa,status,mazda6.........
-discharge tray is a must for racers(but not for bashers)

You radio is fine, i ran Futaba AM for years in racing without issues. I since went on to 3PJ and 3PK but i can say that from onroad to offroad my futaba am never failed me.

ESC again if your starting out use what u have, new drivers can hardly tell the difference on the track between esc brands and levels. Un till your driving laps without mistakes you should just run what u have.

Charger its all to common that duratrax gets mentioned as a good charger they are, but there not the best(towerhobbies pushes them), there new ICE model is finally a charger from them that i would recomend. IF you had all the stuff above then only then would i recomend u sell your charger and look at: LRP,REEDY,NOVAK,CE chargers and even the duratrax ICE. More features and higher rate of charge with the best peak detection.