R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
Damnit Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 778
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
There were other issues I had with the car other than it just being a converted buggy which we really don't need to get into at this point. The end result was still the class never caught on because too few people actually liked the car. No other manufacturer picked up on the class to produce alternate chassis. Super10 on the other hand got pretty popular for awhile in nitro and had 3 manufacturers making cars for the class. Now with BL and LiPo coming to the fore front and 1/8th BL conversions becoming more popular I think Super10 has a much better chance of making a revival and becoming a popular class.
How do you plan on getting a super ten sized 4 wheel drive car with a brushless system under 200 or even 300 dollars with radio RTR? The big thing I think is making it ready to run for cheap. The big success of the Slash class was 3 things, cheap, RTR, and advertising. Without all three there is no chance. Have Traxxas convert a Slash into an onroad car, and push it at NASCAR races. It would be a fresh class, affordable, and marketed to a large number of fans. With it being 2 wheel drive they could make an oval NASCAR version and a GT version with the same chassis.
__________________
Donovan P.
Damnit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice
 
Jato Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Just as manufacturers have done before, offer the least expensive version with the inexpensive AM radio, brushed speedo and motor to make the price as low as possible. Upgrades to brushless and better radio come at higher prices, though based on what I see currently, $60 more should be able to get you brushless system and DSM radio. If AE can do a brushless DSM RTR truck or buggy for $250, I see no reason why an on road car couldn't be the same.

Yes it will take advertising too. I would say that if Traxxas is king of advertising, I would say that HPI comes second. I see them trying hard with the drift and GT crowd more than Traxxas is already. Since HPI already did the electric Super RS4 before, I think they could do it again easier than anyone and market it.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

I think it is less about the the cost and more about the size and the cool looks...look at how popular the T-Maxx was and that was quite a bit more expensive. But the Sprint chassis RTR is pretty inexpensive and this would essentially be an oversized Sprint. That said in a class that big with good grip a RWD Super10 might be a viable class as well. Maybe something like an oversized pan car front suspension with the old Super10 rear suspension could keep the price down low.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Good points InspGadgt, glad we are keeping this civil and constructive! Not sure what size the Super Tens were. This stuff all came along after I had to stop racing. I know there are guys dropping 1/8th GT bodies on 4wd Slash chassis, class is called something like GT8 light or something, I guess you could do the same thing with the 2wd Slash for a lot less money and I'm guessing have a car roughly the same size as these Super Tens? I believe this is along the lines of what Damnit Man is talking about.
Used Up Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
Jato Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Up Junk View Post
Good points InspGadgt, glad we are keeping this civil and constructive! Not sure what size the Super Tens were. This stuff all came along after I had to stop racing. I know there are guys dropping 1/8th GT bodies on 4wd Slash chassis, class is called something like GT8 light or something, I guess you could do the same thing with the 2wd Slash for a lot less money and I'm guessing have a car roughly the same size as these Super Tens? I believe this is along the lines of what Damnit Man is talking about.
There is that, but when you look at those GT8 cars they're getting together, and compare them to the Super 10's, the scale realism offered by the latter is in a league of its own. Not to mention, having a chassis designed for on road driving as opposed to the off road slash chassis would makes a world of difference as well.

I'm sure the GT8 cars are fun, but to me they seem awkwardly proportioned. That and as you said, you still need to get the extra body and tires to make it ready for that particular class, not entirely RTR.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic
 
Damnit Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 778
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Up Junk View Post
Good points InspGadgt, glad we are keeping this civil and constructive! Not sure what size the Super Tens were. This stuff all came along after I had to stop racing. I know there are guys dropping 1/8th GT bodies on 4wd Slash chassis, class is called something like GT8 light or something, I guess you could do the same thing with the 2wd Slash for a lot less money and I'm guessing have a car roughly the same size as these Super Tens? I believe this is along the lines of what Damnit Man is talking about.
Exactly, what I am getting at.
__________________
Donovan P.
Damnit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic
 
Damnit Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 778
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jato Fox View Post
There is that, but when you look at those GT8 cars they're getting together, and compare them to the Super 10's, the scale realism offered by the latter is in a league of its own. Not to mention, having a chassis designed for on road driving as opposed to the off road slash chassis would makes a world of difference as well.

I'm sure the GT8 cars are fun, but to me they seem awkwardly proportioned. That and as you said, you still need to get the extra body and tires to make it ready for that particular class, not entirely RTR.
It could be made ready to run, and the bodies be made to the right dimensions. The ones out now are designed around the 8th scale cars. If Traxxas or HPI jumped on they could do like they did with the slash and create their own size for the class. That could be scale, and set the new standard using their existing chassis.
__________________
Donovan P.
Damnit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice
 
Jato Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I can see that happening as well. Looking at wheelbases, a stadium truck sits right there between the HPI Super's two length options. I could see a case where they put shorter arms on a truck chassis to narrow it up, put appropriately sized wheels and tires on it, and make it scale. If going with the lengthened short course chassis, tires and wheels could be a tad bigger to fit the larger/longer bodies to keep it scale as well. At least with the short course chassis, they have the option for 4WD too.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
Damnit Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 778
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man
Default

Looking at a short course next to my Ofna GTE car it would definitely take shorter arms to make it scale. That should be doable by Traxxas or HPI using already successful chassis. I think 2wd is the best option for them to start out with though, and 4wd I would hope they would release as a later option. It would make for a very fun, affordable, different, and challenging class.
__________________
Donovan P.
Damnit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

I can see "Super Ten" working as a beginners on-road class.

Bigger wheels means better unprepared surface handling, even the option for proper rally driving. With a long wheelbase (old HPI went up to 300mm I think) scale looks are not a major problem. Larger size means greater stability with the phenomenal power that brushless offers and you'll still get runtimes and reliability. Put a modern WRC, touring or GT shell on them and they would look impressive on the shop shelves.

Kyosho do have a sort-of Super Ten range at the moment - the DRX rally car can be conversted to brushless with some parts from the DBX-VE electric buggy. They look pretty good, no idea how well they have been selling though

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice
 
Jato Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit Man View Post
Looking at a short course next to my Ofna GTE car it would definitely take shorter arms to make it scale. That should be doable by Traxxas or HPI using already successful chassis. I think 2wd is the best option for them to start out with though, and 4wd I would hope they would release as a later option. It would make for a very fun, affordable, different, and challenging class.
I can see the 2WD and 4WD chassis being available for different body styles. I think having a 2WD chassis would be great for the GT / Prototype crowd, and 4WD great for rally. I would expect a staggered release, 2WD first and 4WD later once it catches on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I can see "Super Ten" working as a beginners on-road class.

Bigger wheels means better unprepared surface handling, even the option for proper rally driving. With a long wheelbase (old HPI went up to 300mm I think) scale looks are not a major problem. Larger size means greater stability with the phenomenal power that brushless offers and you'll still get runtimes and reliability. Put a modern WRC, touring or GT shell on them and they would look impressive on the shop shelves.

Kyosho do have a sort-of Super Ten range at the moment - the DRX rally car can be conversted to brushless with some parts from the DBX-VE electric buggy. They look pretty good, no idea how well they have been selling though
The Kyosho DRX looks great, and looks to be the perfect size as well. Hopefully the good ideas in here can get mashed together. If I could buy a car that was that size, looked that good, was as inexpensive and had the performance as the other RTR short course offerings, I'd plunk cash down right now.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Well that's why monster trucks got so popular when they did... they could be run ANYwhere... then people started racing them... just like the slash... run anywhere... then "Hey!... let's race these!"
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice
 
Jato Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
Well that's why monster trucks got so popular when they did... they could be run ANYwhere... then people started racing them... just like the slash... run anywhere... then "Hey!... let's race these!"
You bring up a good point. A lot of the on-road vehicles nowadays are either bash-worthy or race-worthy, there's no real in between. I wouldn't want to drive my touring car in my apartment' parking lot, it'd get beat to death with all the little rocks, cracks, and debris around. It was designed to race. Whereas with less expensive touring cars, I wouldn't care about getting them beat up, their built to take it, but I wouldn't race with it, it wouldn't be near competitive.

Off-road vehicles have it easier, where they race and bash, they are exposed to very much the same elements.

I think the take-away is that the car needs to be able to do both with confidence, with hopefully just adjustments to the way its set up be the difference between it being ready for bashing or racing. I think that's where the super ten cars shine, big enough to handle nasty parking lots, refined enough to still be raced.
Jato Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

I still want an HPI Super RS4... a friend of mine has two, with ALL the hop-ups... (he works for RC Car Action)... I'm SO jealous....

Don't forget... Tamiya had their TGX cars too... and some other company released a 1/7 scale car as well but I can't remember who made it...

there was a time when there was an abundance of these larger scale cars, but my thought is that they came out at the wrong time.... just like Tamiya had their F150 short course truck years ago, the original 1/24-scale Tamtech cars, their Bruiser scale crawler, the F101-103 F1 cars, FF01-02 FWD cars, M01 Minis...etc... they all came out years ago, only to die out quickly... now they are all SUPER popular the second time around... Slash, Blitz, SC10 etc. (and re-releases)... Micro RS4's, Xray M18, Mini-Z's... Axial, RC4WD, and Losi scale crawlers (and re-releases from Tamiya)... The F104... The FF03, Xray S411 FWD, and Sakura FWD...the ABC Genetic, Goose and Grid, The Atomic Mini, Xray, as well as the M03-06...

it's about time there was a second time around for the big scale tourers as well, I'm sure they'd find a niche if they are done right and marketed properly
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Super10 essentially is a 1/8th class already so there really isn't all that much of a need to completely rework a 1/8th buggy to fit under a scale body because once you get there you would essentially have a Super10.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net