R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by ChadK
I can't believe Wes thought was serious!
Hey, I was laughing. I knew you were kidding Chad.... At least I was hopping.

Great main Chad, that CFX is looking very good. Now the rest of us have someone to gun for. Keep it up, if you go faster, we all go faster. I'm lovin' it!!

The MS was also looking good out of the box. Looks like it's going to be a fast and furious carpet season.
Weschester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Yez aal fergitin' the clunky ol' Bloddy Knife that was so hot on yez tails me little cheliwegs.

Jacko
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkyboyo
Yez aal fergitin' the clunky ol' Bloddy Knife that was so hot on yez tails me little cheliwegs.

Jacko
yeah, Only if you stayed away from the good ol' PVC Jacko, you would have had me in the 3rd heat! That's just how consistent the MS2.2 is..... I finished all 3 of my heats and Main with 52 laps. Although I didn't change a thing in the stocksetup at all, my goal was to spend the day getting used to the new car.

Dom
Old 11-29-2004, 07:49 PM   #19
Tech Regular

That was a very fine days racing. Young Tommy was blown away with the action and sends his thanks to Uncle Chad for the loan of the speedo. The kid's hooked !!

All those cars just meant I was over loaded. I remember looking at the steering servo saver and seeing the crack growning and just not having the time to swop it out. If it wasn't for that, then I'd have been in there chasing the monkey and the squirrel car. Simply put, you two chaps wuz binging big time and both cars were as smooth as I've seen. Damn it.

Jacko
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

hey everyone, i just got back from the indoor champs in cleveland, and want to let everyone know how the car worked.

awesome, however here is the real story. i broke the chassis in the second round of practice (well actually it was probably that car going full wood that t-boned me that broke the chassis ) but at the time i was having major speed control issues in both cars, lucily charlie from novak was there to sort things out. i order to not miss practice rounds, (which if you look at the touring car practices, i only ran two out of five, this indicates my struggle) i picked up my associated car that was ready to go, and by the time i got the slapmaster sorted out, practice was over and i didnt feel comfortable about hitting the track the next day for my first qual with an unproven car (i.e. new chassis, electronics and all) so i ended up running my associated car.

its sad becuase i was much happier with the slapmaster, it stays much more consistent from beginning to end of race, and definately does not pick up that grabby feeling as traction builds in the front tires, and the car starts to slow, giving it inherently more turn in.

even without the car being "raced" it drew that attention of many racers and magazine reporters. Kurt Wenger, one of the head engineers for team associated was very intrigued by the car, as were team drivers mike blackstock and barry baker. there were many times that i would be snoozing in the room and get a knock from random people asking if i was the kid running that tub chassis 12th scale car. photos were taken by gary from R/C DRiver magazine, and he is very interested in putting it in a section of the race coverage for new products.

don't hesitate on this kit, or any of the other slapmaster products, this is hands down the best 12th scale car the money can buy, and i will be running this car at the snowbirds and carpet nationals in feb. and march.

pete

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Peter, sorry to hear about your misfortunates in Cleveland. Which part of the chassis did you break?

Dom
Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

He broke the section where the rear body mount is....the car hit him SO hard it cracked that guys chassis too.

Later EddieO
Old 11-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Thanks EddieO!

A little JB Weld would fix the problem!

Dom
Old 12-01-2004, 12:28 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Monkey Business

Hey all! Thanks Dom for making a lot more work for me (kidding). I just got off the plane from an awesome trip to Cabo that my wife planned for my birthday and now it's time to get back to work. I am pretty excited to hear that everyone likes the car so much. It's been a tremendous under taking just to this point. Well, I haven't even had a chance to see how Peter did with the car, but reading his post, it sounds like things could have gone better. For those that have never gone to Cleveland, it is a very intense race that you do not get a lot of practice time. Practice is scheduled and if you miss out, too bad. Getting crushed by another car, just plain sucks. Peter is not new to r/c, but this could have been his first Indoor Champ appearance. I think that if you are 'newbie', you get seated in the lower heats. Heats get stacked by the previous years effort. If you were not there last year, well ... you see. I think that Peter probably had to go with what he knew and I probably would have done the same if I had a pile of cars to choose from. All of my time testing the car has been done with modified power and not stock. I didn't have a stock set up for Peter to work with.

Anyway... I am trying to get some parts out sourced so that I can speed up the fill rate. Unfortunately, I do not have a website up at this time to deal with the tons of questions that are pouring in. Instead, I am spending all the time in my shop building cars. But I can answer some email if you are patient. Thanks for all of your support! Brian
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Default MS update

Hey gang, this is the latest news from the Slapmaster camp. This past weekend was the Tri-Cities leg of the NW Onroad Tour. I have been scrambling all last week setting up paypal and promo stuff, banking and working like a mad man to get the production line ramped up. But Sat morning I loaded up for Richland to hit the series race. When I got there, I missed practice by hour. The race was sold out and therefore, Darrin had to move the start time up an hour. Hyperdrive has come out with new damper tubes that look to be more durable, but a new set up was going to be needed because they are completely different. They look like shorter CRC tubes. Without going into the blow by blow, I figured out that you can place two front springs inside the tubes. I finally settled in on two 0.020 springs with Trinity's purple stuff for dampening. Sean Maybell was running a slightly older version with his set up. He was running the center shock under the top plate and had some stand offs out at the ends of the damper tubes. The stand off's are something that I will start testing for furture set ups. Chad Kramer took pole 0.04ths over Sean and I was 2 seconds back of Sean. The tripple A's had Sean pressuring Chad in the closing laps into a bump to the pipe for a pass and a win for Sean. I hung out in 3rd all race about a half lap back. A2, Sean was way out front with Chad a couple of corners back. Sean was nearly ready to put me a lap down at 7 minutes when both Sean and Chads packs went south. I rolled past both with a strong pack for the win with Sean 2nd, Weylin 3rd. A3, either Sean or I could use the win, but Chad really seamed to be the motor to beat. If I could take a moment and plug Team Brood, I hear the Peter wrapped this thing and it just peeled the rug! Sean and Chad had the early lead laps, but a tangle left Sean with a hung brush. Weylin got out front and turned into the rabbit for Chad to chase. Chad had a few pass atempts but couldn't get them to stick and eventually hit the fatal sweeper to end his run. I ran just enough to finish 2nd to Weylin's win to take the overall win. Sean took 2nd after tie was broken, Welyin was 3rd. Chad really needs the honorable mention as that ride could have easily been in the winners circle. In the end, it was 2 x MS2.2's first and second! Good racing!!!
Brian
Old 12-06-2004, 11:23 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Great race report Brian! Awesome to see MS2.2 in the winner circle again! Does the short CRC tubes as easy to do the preload? I actually have the CRC tubes as well as the old style Bolink tubes. I might try the CRC tubes in my next race.

Dom
Old 12-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Default damper tubes

I have actually broke an older Hyperdrive tube (Bolink version) just by handling the car wrong and from a nasty crash. But they did work very well in a very light weight package. If the center was made from aluminum instead of plastic, they would have a winner. With the older version, you could put only one spring on the shaft. With the newer style, you have to use two springs because the depth of the tube. I wasn't so sure that it was going to give me the same spring rate, but I finally came up with the spring combo that I liked. And I tried several combos! I think that the newer version will be more durable and may have an advantage if you race on a dot track. One thing that I did with the new tubes was to super glue the stud into the end of the aluminum tube (about 4 threads) and then thread that into the plastic ball cup, but just shy of tight. Then I used that tiny amount of space to fine tweak the car. I still used the same practice of placing the car on a tweak board with the tubes off, set the tweak on the t-bar, then reinstall the tubes and final tweak it. It makes for a rock solid tweak job! All that I had for damper tube fluid was Trinity purple stuff, the 50K was way too stiff in the new tubes. Maybe 10K or 1000wt might be good alternatives. It just depends on the kind of turn in that you need in combination of any chicanes you might come up against. Heavier should react faster while lighter should be more forgiving. Let me (us) know if the CRC tubes will be a good alternative on the MS2.2.

Brian
Old 12-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #28
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I saw this car in person back in April and I gotta say it is impressive. Nearly no chassis flex and it has a cool factor out the roof!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:54 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Default Bolink replacement tubes

Brian,

I was doing research regarding replacement for the Bolink tubes. Check your PM, I think I might have found some that are almost identical to the Bolink tubes.

Dom
Old 12-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #30
Tech Master

Well I know what I want for Christmas. I had the hardest time deciding this year until tonight. I got a chance to drive the Slapmaster and man oh man what an awesome car. Brian was nice enough to had over the remote to me during the main because I smacked into a pipe and messed up my body, so I was out.

Anyway I started out slow because the car had a completely different feel to it than my L3. The faster I drove it the better the car handled. Which amazed me even more compared to my L3 the faster I drive it the worse it got. The most amazing thing is it felt like I was driving slow but the lap times where the lowest I have ever turned. This car is so smooth it is incredible. I can't even put it into words how this chassis feels compared to my L3 and L4. But I can tell you this I can't wait until the 25th.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote