R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 AM   #151
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fast-ho-cars
depends on the track quality you race on:

the Majority at our Hobby town track run either a gurney off the body or a wing mounted off the rear pod. (old school) we had problems running any mod motor due to traction problems at the rear so we went to stock but still had inconsistent handing at the rear. tried adding a gurney flap (like the 12th body that Protoform has on the Speed-12) at the rear of the body. the handling improved a little but not much. so me an another old school 12th racer decided to put wings on the rear pods like we did back in the 80's thru early 90's. first some other drivers scoffed at it. now 4 of us are running them. with 3 others looking or waiting for the shop to get some more wing mounts in. we do modify the body by cutting away some of the kickup on the rear of our bodies when we add a pod mounted wing

prior to that, I was racing 12th mod on carpet with the latest bodies and had no problems. no extra d-force required. however when our shop pulled the carpet and put in a dirt oval. because i don't run offroad or dirt oval, i was forced to run at our local Hobbytown on asphalt track/outdoors. the asphalt is blown off but not prepped (sugar water, thinned out VHT, sugared soda water) like asphalt tracks i ran on years ago. they also run offroad races on the same day and dust travels.

at ROAR races this add ons are not legal, however would't be needed because 99.9% of the time the track will be properly prepped with no offroad races 15ft from the asphalt track
Interesting. Do you have pix of the old school wings and modified bodies?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sorry no pic capability

use wing mounts like those sold by racewaymfg.com. take a 3/4" bolt cut off the head (clean up the threads) screw it into a wing mount and crew that into the right rear hole on your top pod plate. i then drilled a hole on this plate about a 1/2" to the left top pod plate screw and mounted the other wing mount with a screw from underneath. bent a piece of piano wire like this:

sideview

\
\

top view

[
[
[
[
[
[
[
[_________________________

i use AE nylon wing mount buttons for the wing $1.50 and for a wing i use a offroad wing that will fit between the shark fins on my Speed 8. i trim the wing so it has about 1" on flat area and 1/2' kickup only.

put two 3/4" holes in the top of your body were the wing mounts/wire will come thru to allow free movement.

i run a Speed 8 with the curved up area cut away. you can have too much downforce even on a dusty track causing the car to twitch in turns

move the wing back on the wire for more downforce and forward for less.

hope this helps
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #153
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Hi Dom,

yes I have seen those, but I have only seen them in white, I really want to ues black, and also the dubro quality isn't great, the one's I am using are very good quality. I personally like using the standard size, they are a way better fit and they do not pop off as easily. I also use titanium ball studs so wieght is not a big factor. Last time I wieghed my car it was 806gms with big wheels, it's only getting lighter.

Chris.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium
Default Re: Possible t-shirt design!

Quote:
Originally posted by Slapmaster6000
A racing buddy of mine, is a graphic arts designer. He has some pretty snappy computers to play with and has some pretty creative skills to operate them with. He also shares the same sence of humor to go along with Slapmaster Tools and the MS2.2 line. Not that I don't take this seriously, but we do race these cars for fun... and I hope to remind us of that! Bill, also is going to put the website together, but we gotta have shirts first!

Brian; [email protected]
i think i need on of those shirts, as well.... those ROCK!

nothing like showing a monkey's ass at the track!!!

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #155
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by fast-ho-cars
sorry no pic capability

use wing mounts like those sold by racewaymfg.com. take a 3/4" bolt cut off the head (clean up the threads) screw it into a wing mount and crew that into the right rear hole on your top pod plate. i then drilled a hole on this plate about a 1/2" to the left top pod plate screw and mounted the other wing mount with a screw from underneath. bent a piece of piano wire like this:

sideview

\
\

top view

[
[
[
[
[
[
[
[_________________________

i use AE nylon wing mount buttons for the wing $1.50 and for a wing i use a offroad wing that will fit between the shark fins on my Speed 8. i trim the wing so it has about 1" on flat area and 1/2' kickup only.

put two 3/4" holes in the top of your body were the wing mounts/wire will come thru to allow free movement.

i run a Speed 8 with the curved up area cut away. you can have too much downforce even on a dusty track causing the car to twitch in turns

move the wing back on the wire for more downforce and forward for less.

hope this helps
Thanks for the how to but I'm having a hard time visualizing on construction. I'll try to google around to see a picture of it.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Tire update

Hey MS Fans,
Andrew Cartwright came up with a pretty good mod tire set up. I ran it tonight and I have to aggree, that it just might be a little quicker then previous set ups. Or at least it may or may not work better at your track. Again; Parma Pink rears and now Magenta fronts are my tires of choice. They have good contruction, strong with out breakage, durable, consistant traction, reliable bearing seats, just "good tires"! With the magentas, you need to remove the side springs from the tubes or you will have way too much steering. I / we also went to 0.022's in front instead of 0.020's. The car turned in more aggressively off power and closer to the corner then with the other set up. I often would clip the dot due to the extra turn in. How much faster was it? Well I was not able to beat the track record that I hold with the old set up, but I blew the main time out of the water. So a bit of a push. It's nice to know that you can have more then one set up that is fast.

See you all at the 'birds!!!!
Brian; slapmastertools.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #157
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tire update

Quote:
slapmastertools.com
Brian, front page looks awesome already!

Dom
Old 02-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #158
Tech Fanatic

Hi Brian,

Thats an interesting set up, I will have to try that. I tried magenta's with white and it was ugly. one problem I did find with magenta's - even though they do start off withia lot of traction, they get MORE grippy as the race goes on. I found by the 6th minute it was undriveable. What did you think?

Chris
Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #159
Tech Elite

Default magenta grip

They don't fool around. They corner hard. So hard, it made me wonder about bat/motor efficiency (sp). If you have the equipment to push that set up, I think that it's faster through the course. I think that the pink/purple with springs is more efficient. But I would expect that at the top level, that you will need to come out swinging. This set up was: scream up to the corner just a foot short, pull it around, and ripp it back to life. It's likely that you will out corner many cars with this set up.

I just got delivery of my shirts tonight. They look awesome! I will drop some pic's

Brian; www.slapmastertools.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1280006.jpg (138.8 KB, 182 views)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #160
Tech Elite

Default shirts

Look: you too can look fat and happy in a new stylish Slapmaster Tools t!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1280007.jpg (141.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #161
Tech Elite

Default Alvin's paint job

This is the body that I will be using in mod at the 'birds. Alvin Nucume painted this amazing Speed 12 up for me. I am very thankful for his attention to detail and dedication to local racers, so that we can race in style. Thanks Alvin!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1280011.jpg (155.2 KB, 223 views)
Old 02-06-2005, 09:12 PM   #162
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default Re: Alvin's paint job

Quote:
This is the body that I will be using in mod at the 'birds. Alvin Nucume painted this amazing Speed 12 up for me. I am very thankful for his attention to detail and dedication to local racers, so that we can race in style. Thanks Alvin!!!
Alvin That is an awesome paint job...
Ya like mine monkey slapper paint job ?
Old 02-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #163
Tech Master

Default Re: Alvin's paint job

Quote:

all i can say is WOOOW!
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #164
Tech Fanatic

Hi Brian,

I tried one more time to get the purple's and whites to work to not much avail, I can't get the corner speed i want so I will try your magenta setup, but I think I'll try it with magenta's and Blacks. I found blacks to be very similar, but not quite as aggressive. I did get a QC2 in the car and i like it a lot. I ran a 10x2 and raced it strapped without dumping, I hit full throttle for the whole race even in the infield.

Chris
Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Default Out of the Office

Or I should say that I will be in the office doing field research! ha! For those that have order questions or need product, I will be in Orlando Florida for the Snowbirds race and will return Feb 14th. To my knowledge, I should have 3 cars running in the GTP Stock class and as many as 3 in the GTP Modified class by the hands of some fairly talented drivers. So we'll see when the dust settles. Keep an eye on the Snowbird site for Brian Bodine, Andrew Cartwright, Sean Maybell, and Trav Schreven.

Brian; www.slapmastertools.com