Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec 1/12 tire for stock?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I dont want to sound like a D..K And I don't want to sound like Im bashing you but Please!!! Close this thread. 1/12th is fine how it is "PLEASE" let this thread Die!!!

Thanks

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike ivy
I dont want to sound like a D..K And I don't want to sound like Im bashing you but Please!!! Close this thread. 1/12th is fine how it is "PLEASE" let this thread Die!!!

Thanks

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
When this thread started I agreed with you but now I'm not so sure. And it's not just about newbies. I know a couple top pros that feel the same.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
When this thread started I agreed with you but now I'm not so sure. And it's not just about newbies. I know a couple top pros that feel the same.
Their are alot of people that think this way . They get drowned out by the ones who think their is no problem. Everyone should be able to get their car to work on the same tires, hell the tc guys do it.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

I'm with Mike.
I hope this thread dies, then burns in hell
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I wanted to bring this thread back up to inject another point. What about having to race against unobtainable, far superior tires?

I have been a die-hard anti-spec guy forever but the more I think about it, the more I start to like a spec tire. There is a reason that the guy that made the MOST mistakes in a main history still managed to win the worlds, yet in TC with a spec tire I bet he doesn't make the main. Back in the day I had to run oval against guys with extinct, unobtainable right front tires. I don't care how good your car worked or how well you drove, without that tire you were .2 slower.

As for tires not working everywhere, who says you have to have only one spec tire? BSR makes several different spec tires for 1/10th oval cars for several different classes, each one with a different color ring. You could have say black and magenta fronts and yellow and pink rears. Take your pick, as long as it's one of those.
The secret cheater tire thing only happens when Yokomo shows up at the Worlds. If IFMAR mandated one traction compound that actually worked, rather than the fiasco they have created the last two races, one by using crap for practice, then switching to something that worked, and this year's event by allowing any odorless compound, folks could more than likely make due with commercially available rubber.

The compounds you have selected are pretty much the standards for stock anyway, so if you spec them that's still multiple set-ups, so what have we really accomplished?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

If some japanese tire brand makes better tires (for that specifick grip levels) then so be it. The tires were sold to some drivers at the track, maybe a little late but still.

The Yokomo team did their homework to such an extent that they even used durometers on the tires to handpick them at the track. They knew what tire brand and what shore did what on that surface.

Sorry to say but Yokomo was the best team even though the driving was not all that good. I hope you all realise what they could have done when the driving was good!?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
If some japanese tire brand makes better tires (for that specifick grip levels) then so be it. The tires were sold to some drivers at the track, maybe a little late but still.

The Yokomo team did their homework to such an extent that they even used durometers on the tires to handpick them at the track. They knew what tire brand and what shore did what on that surface.

Sorry to say but Yokomo was the best team even though the driving was not all that good. I hope you all realise what they could have done when the driving was good!?
I could care less about the "cheater tires" obviously they didn't offer that much advantage, or Naoto would've been able to show some positive sportsmanship.

Yokomo always does their homework, I just wish they had a class act like Masami behind the wheel again........

None of this makes any difference. Here in the U.S. Jaco/Parma and CRC know what works on our tracks, and they utilize it. Magic tires need not apply

And as for Yok being the best team, they had one car in the A, CRC had four, with no cheater tires and drivers that didn't have to take out others to secure solid finishes.........
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

well if the worlds are in the US next time then the US teams can show what they are worth but if a Yokomo still wins then what?

The A finalist all drove the same Japanese tire as far as what i heard and saw at the track. With any other brand they lost 1 or 2 laps.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

well if the worlds are in the US next time then the US teams can show what they are worth but if a Yokomo still wins then what?

The A finalist all drove the same Japanese tire as far as what i heard and saw at the track. With any other brand they lost 1 or 2 laps.
As a race director here in the US, I can tell you that I wouldn't surround every barrier with felt and dots. That's really all you'd have to do to insure Naoto never finishes a qualy. The kid's a brute on track (and spoiled brat), plain and simple. Put some lumber out there for barriers and he's a goner......
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Ok if that is what it takes to let a US team win go for it...

But knowing Yokomo they will build different US style tracks in Japan and practise all year on crc carpet.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

You guys are missing the point of the thread. Take touring car for instance, why do they run a spec tire and spec sauce and limit the number of sets. To keep it fair, so know one has an advantage is why. Why should 1/12 be any different ? Have everyone run the same compounds and same amount of sets and same sauce and then you will truely know who the best driver and car is.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

You would think that rubber or a spec tire makes it "fair" but it is exactly the same except it isn't the tire but the "secret" chassis. If you don't have a chassis that is prepared for a certain rubber tire or spec tire on a specific surface then you will lose laps as well. I just read that yesterday at the WC 1/10 some are using 3 chassis in a 5 minute practise probably to find out what works better.

Sorry to say but i would rather buy a few tires to tune my chassis to the track then wasting money on new chassis every year or finding out that my chassis isn't the right one for the track.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 07-26-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Ok if that is what it takes to let a US team win go for it...

But knowing Yokomo they will build different US style tracks in Japan and practise all year on crc carpet.
Yatabe Arena already has CRC carpet. Have had it for at least a year now.

Guys, let me try to offer some perspective on the spec tire argument. Some of you probably already know this, some of you maybe not.

If i go to the IIC this year (or Cleveland, or the Birds, or insert race name here) to race 12th scale, i am going to be bringing around 40 - 50 pair of tires. You may think what for? we all "know" what works and you won't even hit the track that many times, so why so many? Well, contrary to common belief, carpet tracks do change and are not all exactly the same at every race you go to. Air temp, humidity, # of rubber tire cars vs foam tire cars, what additive is popular this weekend, how many hours the track sits idle during the night before the next round starts, all these things have an effect on what tire will be the best for that given track. and then, sometimes freshies are faster, and sometimes re-runs are faster.

Therefore, i need to be prepared for freshies every run even if i don't end up needing them. I need to have magenta fronts, blacks, & chromes. I need to have pink rears, magentas, yellows, & gray-lows. Doesn't this seem ridiculous?

Now i'm pretty lucky because i can bring what i need and then only pay for what i use after i get home and return the rest, but this isn't an option for most. You really want to have to deal with that?

What is really the problem with having a spec tire, at least for the stock class, and leave the mess i just described for the mod guys. I don't want to hear "because it's fine, so leave it alone". It's not fine. If it were fine, then on-road turnouts wouldn't be going down all over the country while off-road continues to go up. If there is some legitimate concerns about a spec tire negatively effecting the class, by all means bring it to the table. but all i've seen so far is people not wanting any change because it's "the way it's always been".

I for one would much rather show up to any one of those races i mentioned, and already know what i was running before i started. And, if i only get 3 - 4 sets, then i have to true them to an appropriate size and plan on re-running them and not cutting them down to onion skins and tossing them after one run.

I know it's just my opinion, and that doesn't make it right, but i'm just trying to shed some light to some guys that may not know exactly what they're up against when they go to an "open tire" race.

either way, i'd just like to see on-road start to get back on the upswing so i don't have to worry about not having anyone to race against and then i have to get a dirt car.

John
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Ok, I'll admit, it would be interesting to see if this "Spec Tire" theory has any effect on the amount of entries for the 17.5 Blinky class at iic. Not that it will happen this year as the rules are set
Keep in mind this class already had the most entries of all classes at iic last year...

Having said that
Last year at iic, I ran Black Yellow in stock, every run, all week
Just as I do for club racing at TQ, it's the tire that works best for our track

imho
Mod class requires the best Setup/Tires, power is something everyone can buy in excess over the counter

Stock class, is a Motor/Battery war, this is the speed tuner class, special tires got nothing on the tuned motors, and batteries you will find here !

Obviously the best driver, matched with the best equipment, will produce the best result in either class
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Keep your hands off my 12th scale, how dare you try to make it less intimidating and more affordable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.