R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #61
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,772
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
In that case Pink rear/Magenta front for all!!!!

I can honestly say that I've never been to a big race where I've tried five different tire combos. For me it almost always ends up being yellow/black or pink/magenta. I have on VERY rare occasions utilized a yellow/magenta, but still, that leaves me with only two different front, and two different rear compounds to bring with me.

We also need to quit using WGT as the bar for what we could potentially achieve with a spec 12th tire. The way the cars behave is radically different. The split in front to rear contact patch is far greater on the WGT, and the car is far less "Square" dimensionally than the 12th scale car. This adds up to a less stable, twitchier, and more temperamental 12th scale platform. Tire selection is the best way to deal with this.
I know I've only been racing 12th scale consistently for a year now but I've only run 3 different tire combos.

In stock 12th scale i've only run Black/Greylow

In 13.5 its been Magenta/Magenta or Magenta/Pink

That is all.

To me that is not rocket science.
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
"In that case Pink rear/Magenta front for all!!!!"

that would be a great choice. I'd be in full support if those were ever identifed as the spec 1/12th scale tire for the races that I travel to. Knowing the tire choice in advance would save me a bunch and I'd be very appreciative.

I hereby nominate Ian for race director........Oh,wait..........Ian already is the race director. Long live the benevolent mr Ruggles.
The combination of Perry's adoration, along with Mario's suggestion of time savings that could be spent on "other" more rewarding activities has almost swayed me..... but I still say no spec for 1/12th.........
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #63
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

At the 2 tracks here in So-Cal magenta or Pink will have the car doing donuts.

But I know this is just for the birds, and maybe iic right ?

That fresh rug in Vegas has spoiled us
Damn that was fun !
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #64
Tech Elite
 
CypressMidWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
That fresh rug in Vegas has spoiled us
Damn that was fun !
Fresh rug is always on the Thanksgiving menu in Cleveland.....
__________________
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #65
Tech Elite
 
odpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Fresh rug is always on the Thanksgiving menu in Cleveland.....
mmmm, tasty!
__________________
TOP Racing USA--OD Racing--Novak--Power Push--J Spec
odpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #66
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Fresh rug is always on the Thanksgiving menu in Cleveland.....
Ian.

If it was in the budget, I'd be all over that like gravy on stuffing
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #67
Tech Elite
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,772
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
At the 2 tracks here in So-Cal magenta or Pink will have the car doing donuts.

But I know this is just for the birds, and maybe iic right ?

That fresh rug in Vegas has spoiled us
Damn that was fun !
When I said those were the only 3 combos of tires I have run I meant it.

I have run those combos on about 4 different "club" tracks as well as at big races and have not had to run anything else.
__________________
Awesomatix USA - EaMotorsports - RocheUSA - MonTech - Sanwa - BSR Racing Tires - TQ Wire - Solaris Racing Tires - Side Piece Racing

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #68
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
When I said those were the only 3 combos of tires I have run I meant it.

I have run those combos on about 4 different "club" tracks as well as at big races and have not had to run anything else.
That's all I buy too.

Black/Yellow is all I ran in Blinky & Boosted at iic, and it's what works at our club track.
Mod was Magenta/Magenta
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #69
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
That's all I buy too.

Black/Yellow is all I ran in Blinky & Boosted at iic, and it's what works at our club track.
Mod was Magenta/Magenta
What brand what your choice?

Thank you
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #70
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
What brand what your choice?

Thank you
Parma/Jaco

I forgot to add.
For Outdoor tracks, I keep Front Pinkx2 handy for when it gets dusty and such.
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #71
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Fresh rug is always on the Thanksgiving menu in Cleveland.....
Not in the Cougar Lounge it isn't.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #72
Tech Master
 
ByteStream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 1,145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Being fairly new to 1/12 scale (6 months), I like the idea of a spec tire for 17.5 Stock/Blinky racing. I would have entered the class alot sooner if there was a spec tire at the club/national level. As the title of the thread states, I'm not talking about SuperStock or Mod.

It would simply eliminate a variable for me when racing. Instead of stocking or worrying about the right compounds for a given day/track condition I can focus my energy on my chassis setup and driving, knowing that other drivers are in the same boat, much like WGT. There are plenty of other adjustments on the cars to try other than changing tires.

A big thanks goes out to Mario and especially Kenny L, who helped me out tremendously with my CRC ride. He helped me get .4 tenths/lap better out of my car without swaping out my Black/GreyLow combo. I believe he was running Mag/Yellow which of course I did not bring with me and AmpDraw was sold out of. Another case for a spec tire I guess as there would have been plenty on hand.

I can tell you that being newer to 1/12, nothing makes me cringe more than seeing a brand new set of tires get trued down to a one-run-and-done set at a big race. I accept the reason and the benefits of doing so but it still makes me cringe. I saw that alot at IIC in 17.5 blinky. If the tires were spec'd, then you would only be allotted 3 sets (like WGT) and you would have to make sure that those lasted the entire race week at IIC, now that is something that I'd be interested in seeing the strategy for ...

Just my 2cents.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
Being fairly new to 1/12 scale (6 months), I like the idea of a spec tire for 17.5 Stock/Blinky racing. I would have entered the class alot sooner if there was a spec tire at the club/national level. As the title of the thread states, I'm not talking about SuperStock or Mod.

It would simply eliminate a variable for me when racing. Instead of stocking or worrying about the right compounds for a given day/track condition I can focus my energy on my chassis setup and driving, knowing that other drivers are in the same boat, much like WGT. There are plenty of other adjustments on the cars to try other than changing tires.

A big thanks goes out to Mario and especially Kenny L, who helped me out tremendously with my CRC ride. He helped me get .4 tenths/lap better out of my car without swaping out my Black/GreyLow combo. I believe he was running Mag/Yellow which of course I did not bring with me and AmpDraw was sold out of. Another case for a spec tire I guess as there would have been plenty on hand.

I can tell you that being newer to 1/12, nothing makes me cringe more than seeing a brand new set of tires get trued down to a one-run-and-done set at a big race. I accept the reason and the benefits of doing so but it still makes me cringe. I saw that alot at IIC in 17.5 blinky. If the tires were spec'd, then you would only be allotted 3 sets (like WGT) and you would have to make sure that those lasted the entire race week at IIC, now that is something that I'd be interested in seeing the strategy for ...

Just my 2cents.
One run tires is just insane but not unheard of in 12th past

There has to be a way to get several runs with bigger tires with different chassis setup and still be dialed?
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #74
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
One run tires is just insane but not unheard of in 12th past

There has to be a way to get several runs with bigger tires with different chassis setup and still be dialed?
Their is no need to cut tires down to one runs in blinky. Max K won nationals a couple of years ago on 1.70's so what does that tell you. In vegas I ran 1.68 fronts and 1.70 rears (balck/orange parma) and had no problems. Ran the same compounds all week too.
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #75
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

I wanted to bring this thread back up to inject another point. What about having to race against unobtainable, far superior tires?

I have been a die-hard anti-spec guy forever but the more I think about it, the more I start to like a spec tire. There is a reason that the guy that made the MOST mistakes in a main history still managed to win the worlds, yet in TC with a spec tire I bet he doesn't make the main. Back in the day I had to run oval against guys with extinct, unobtainable right front tires. I don't care how good your car worked or how well you drove, without that tire you were .2 slower.

As for tires not working everywhere, who says you have to have only one spec tire? BSR makes several different spec tires for 1/10th oval cars for several different classes, each one with a different color ring. You could have say black and magenta fronts and yellow and pink rears. Take your pick, as long as it's one of those.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 46181 Yesterday 02:42 PM
The future of 1/12 scale Roland S Electric On-Road 1004 06-16-2017 02:04 PM
7.4v 2 cell lipo on a 1/12 scale? zake540 Electric On-Road 71 05-11-2009 06:12 AM
Who wants to run 1/12 scale Mamba Brushless spec class? GordonFreeman MARCCA Discussion 61 09-03-2005 03:48 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net