R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

In a stock class I think it might work. For us poor people just being able to go to a couple of home town races is a miracle in itself. So in having only one choice of tires eliminates the cost of many differant kinds of tires for a starter class and thus making it more affordable for beginners to get involved. In mod people dont want restrictions on anything making it an open class and should be left alone. Its a good question and something to think about.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
Tech Champion

It really doesn't save all that much if any...just check with what everyone else is running and get those. You might have to adjust a little bit for differences in chassis but that will get you close enough to race. Even at a new track an educated guess should get pretty close with only 1 or 2 adjustments after to get the right tires. After that tires will cost the same regardless if they are spec or not.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So the idea is to spec a tire that may possibly make 12th scale harder to drive ?

I don't see that as helping the "beginner"

Black/Yellow works fairly well at a lot of tracks, but not everywhere, and not on every car.

WGT Spec tires don't work at all at one of our outdoor tracks. killed the class there too.

If anyone at our track is in agony, I hand them a set a tires to get them through the day.
Most 12th scale drivers are very helpful.
Perhaps the resurgence in the class, is due to things going well allready.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
So the idea is to spec a tire that may possibly make 12th scale harder to drive ?

Black/Yellow works fairly well at a lot of tracks, but not everywhere, and not on every car.

WGT Spec tires don't work at all at one of our outdoor tracks. killed the class there too.

If anyone at our track is in agony, I hand them a set a tires to get them through the day.
BRILLIANT!!!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm with you. I see 12th growing and am of the mind set that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

It's a lovely idea, but like all the guys have said above, it won't work. If you really want to drive people away from 12th, make them run a tyre that doesn't work properly at their track all day, every day.

There are practical problems too. Who is going to tech all those tyres? how many sets will you allow? How will you allow people to have more sets if they chunk or tear a tyre, or are you going to make them run on those tyres and ruin their day?

If people are allowed more that two sets, then they will true them down to the exact diameter they need, run them twice in a day, and then use more new sets at the next meeting. Tyres can be repaired, they can be trued and glued up to make them last longer, which shouldn't be allowed with a spec tyres as it is then no longer spec.

As it stands, for most people, the tyres that work at your track are all the tyres you need, so you have spec tyres anyway.

It ain't broke, don't fix it! (There's a bit of an echo in here!!!)
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
Tech Elite

good input guys, thanks.

i should have been a bit more clear in my intention. i was thinking about this for a large, national level race, not necessarily for everyday racing.

tires would be teched by having a stripe in them, like the world gt tires do.

lets say you can buy as many sets as you want.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:

Well, I thought it would help the "beginner" by not having so many choices of tires to choose from and make it a little more even in that aspect. Asking people what tire combo may or may not work for that track may still get confusing. Spec tires work just fine in our WGT class and no one complains even outside.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Well, I thought it would help the "beginner" by not having so many choices of tires to choose from and make it a little more even in that aspect. Asking people what tire combo may or may not work for that track may still get confusing. Spec tires work just fine in our WGT class and no one complains even outside.
12th scale spec tires will suck at least in mod

Spec tires seem to work fine in WGT and TC
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
good input guys, thanks.

i should have been a bit more clear in my intention. i was thinking about this for a large, national level race, not necessarily for everyday racing.

I just dont see 1/12 as an entry level class, thats really the strongpoint of WGT. I guess you could start a movement for a new class; 21.5 no boost with spec tires beginner only class. While I have my doubts about its success I guess the only way to really see is to test the theory in the real world. Mabey talk to Scotty about this as a new class for the next IIC.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
I just dont see 1/12 as an entry level class, thats really the strongpoint of WGT. I guess you could start a movement for a new class; 21.5 no boost with spec tires beginner only class. While I have my doubts about its success I guess the only way to really see is to test the theory in the real world. Mabey talk to Scotty about this as a new class for the next IIC.
We need newer drivers to get acquainted with faster drivers and asking questions

If different tires are used then advanced users won't have first hand knowledge of what is working, etc...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
good input guys, thanks.

Of all the races, imo, a top level, or national event would be that last place to implement this, I could almost see your argument for club racing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I see your point, and it's cool you are having luck with WGT spec tires at your tracks, but just to illustrate the point that they don't always work, and might not be a good idea for 12th cars, which are more edgy to drive than WGT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
We need less classes, not more please
However there is already a class like this in Japan for 12th scale. RC500, rubber tires on low end Yokomo & Kawada cars.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

We need less classes, not more please
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
good input guys, thanks.

sorry, I'll pass on that one. When I go to big events, I take 4 different tires for stock... Orange and black as primaries, yellow and lilac as back-up. Not as many back-ups as primaries. Does this mean that I would want to make it a spec? NO. Open tires. The only thing that should be spec is esc/motor. Grow a set and figure out how to tune the chassis.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
sorry, I'll pass on that one. When I go to big events, I take 4 different tires for stock... Orange and black as primaries, yellow and lilac as back-up. Not as many back-ups as primaries. Does this mean that I would want to make it a spec? NO. Open tires. The only thing that should be spec is esc/motor. Grow a set and figure out how to tune the chassis.
Good post except for the spec ESC part.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote