R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Pretty simple, an oscilloscope solves this problem in 2 seconds.

On the other hand, open timing speedos has been the reason on road almost went in the crapper. I could watch all the casual drivers go right to the offroad track, so the 10 hardcore onroad guys spread across 3 classes could try to get a race together. Now that timing has been restricted, I see a lot of these guys back, and they seem to like the slower speeds as well. I know it's not fast enough for a lot of the fast guys, but there's not enough of you to keep the doors open at the hobby shop/track.

The one area that seems to have had some success with open speedo has been 1/12, and I'm not sure if it's the nature of 1 cell or the drivers are more into that kind of tuning or both. Either way if it works for them, good. I haven't seen very good results in sedan.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Just for reference I would like to see the results from the TITC 11.5 class.

Were there any former world champions in the class? I'm not being confrontation just curious.

Im guessing hobbywing/speedpassion was the big speedo in that class? That is an asian company unlike Tekin.

I'm speaking from experience. Ive tried most of the boosted speedos out there and none are as fast as a Tekin in a straight line.

I'm not sponsored by tekin just speaking from experience.
Hi Larry,
No problem at all. From recollection, it was 4 LRP's, 4 ORCA's, and 2 HW's.
No world champions, but the winner was in the modified A the previous year (used a HW).

Like I said, not bagging on Tekin, the speedo has proved itself to be best in the past, no doubt. Just that now, IMO, others have caught up.. and that's no bad thing.

I'm not sponsored either, but having the choice to go HW or Tekin, I picked the HW. Yes, it was cheaper, but at the time it was behind the curve. It has improved a lot with the latest firmwares, and I have no concerns bolting a 4.5 into the car using the same speedo and software (just toned down a little). At the two tracks I now race on, I'm not lacking speed against anyone, with a Tekin or any other esc.

All good debate though
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #108
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Or you could just hand out a LOCKED motor and go open esc........

Way easier for race management........
How, exactly? Timing is timing, whether it is via the sensor board, or via the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I still don't understand this whole desire to go with locked timing motors. Maybe it makes sense for blinky but why would you want it for boost? In boosted, it makes no difference, doesn't make anything slower or faster. Just requires a bit of a change in speedo setting. Hell, I wish I could get LESS timing on my LRP motors in boosted.
Locked timing motors = more revenue for the manufacturers, since virtually nobody currently uses them.

Surprised nobody has yet mentioned "tuning" rotors. Different sizes for larger/smaller air gaps, rotor strengths, etc. I thought tuning rotors weren't legal in spec classes?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Novak Edge
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #110
Tech Master

Hey guys, just got back from our Friday night club meeting and thought I'd post a pic and add some words to it.

As you can see, the top 3 drivers tonight ALL got the same fastest lap time!

The top guy runs a CRC chassis, with CRC LiPo's, a Nosram speedo and a LRP motor.

Next guy also runs a CRC chassis, but with Reedy LiPo's, a HobbyWing speedo and a Nosram motor.

Third guy also runs a CRC chassis, also with Reedy LiPo's but a Tekin speedo and GM motor!

So, from our club's point of view, there really is no clear winner out there regarding the best blinky speedo. The top 3 guys are about the same overall, what it comes down to is not having mistakes. 1 mistake will cost you almost a lap at our club (especially if the marshall is one of the older guys, then it will cost you 2 laps, haha!!).

Whether a certain speedo, with a certain motor/battery/car/driver is ultimately the fastest combination, well, we'll never know. But for us at our club, we run what we run, and have a great time doing so!!

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #111
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
eh, you're wasting your time here, bud. the guys that get it, get it. the guys that don't, never will.
That's all there is to it.
Jim Pate <<Gotta have black wheels.
Dammit, I swallowed my gum.
slim jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Hi, curious what did the LRP sxx stock/spec guys set for ramped/boosted 17.5/13.5 12th?

Hebert has LRP sxx stock/spec his at 0-1-1-2 with 4T mod 12th
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Hi, curious what did the LRP sxx stock/spec guys set for ramped/boosted 17.5/13.5 12th?

Hebert has LRP sxx stock/spec his at 0-1-1-2 with 4T mod 12th
Keven was running 0-8-10-1 in Super Stock with a Reedy 17.5 motor...
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Keven was running 0-8-10-1 in Super Stock with a Reedy 17.5 motor...
How did he do?

Did he run 13.5 too? If so how was the speedo set? Used by other lrp sxx stock/spec 13.5?

Thank you very much for the info

On a different note there is so much drama about stock/spec

It used to be a mellow class with mod being faster and that was it

I mean that is what mod class is for when you've gone as fast in stock as you can go now it seems stock/spec drivers are trying to work the class to death with this advantage and that technology. Just move up I say and race mod if it becomes this insane. I mean many post's arguing about cheating and I almost hear no one complaining that they want boosted. I hear a lot of people wanting blinky but it's like their all fighting for the stock class verses racing and having fun. Seriously it's way more agro in the stock stuff than mod and their suppose to be not as advanced drivers than mod and if they are as advanced shouldn't they move up?

Take this in consideration please!

I used to race BMX. Was very good! Won nearly every novice race (5 wins needed to advance to intermiediate ), then had to (win 10 intermediate races) to advance to expert "mod" then at expert I couldn't go back. Seems it would be a lot more interesting to see drivers based on their wins to advance to the next level and then work on other things like driving

Also I mentioned a limiter of sorts to check the wavelength but no one responded to that post :O

Thanks

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 10-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
How, exactly? Timing is timing, whether it is via the sensor board, or via the ESC.
It's actually pretty simple, if the ESC is open, there's ZERO need to tech it. Now we just tear down the motor to ensure there's no funny stuff. I.E. easier, as it eliminates one whole area of potential cheating, and leaves but one item of the two that actually needs to be tech'd.

I also agree that tuning rotors for spec classes are a horrible idea. Now instead of cutting comms and trying brushes we're screwing with can timing, and tuning rotors, arguably a little easier, but WAY more expensive.

Like I said, LOCKDOWN the motors. No adjustable timing, one legal rotor. Open the esc so we can still tune to the track and or our driving style.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Great, just what we need. Back in the day when Trinity sponsored just about every stock class at every major race, and even minor races around the country...

You enter a race and buy the max amount of allotted stock motors, run them all in practice, or get one of the few people to run them on a dyno, and pray you got a fast one. Then when the race is over, you go home and try to unload the rest of the duds and not as good motors on everyone around you... not fun or cost effective. Way to keep racing costs in check. I wish I had the talent to race mod.

I am totally against locked motors.
I didn't necessarily say "Handout" I said locked motors with a set amount of timing. There could be Reedy, Trinity, Speed Passion, Thunder Power etc. spec motors. 30 degrees of FIXED timing and NO tuning rotors is more what I meant. Plus with OPEN esc you can tailor the speedo to make up for minor variations in powerbands from motor to motor. With Blinky if the motor isn't fast, you can't make it any better, and therefore it's an $80 paperweight.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycerc View Post
That would do it, get rid of all the trackside fiddling and laptop shennanigans and the ESC wars would end and some sense of normalcy would have a chance of returning.
Till we get to the point where new blinky esc's are being released more often, then it becomes speedo of the week. Technology doesn't slow down just because people are afraid of it. You can't see the potential for "Our new blinky ESC is faster than all the other blinky ESC's on the market" Trust me it will come. This is racing, and as much as we'd like everything to be exactly the same it never will be........
Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #118
Tech Addict

Quote:
It's actually pretty simple, if the ESC is open, there's ZERO need to tech it. Now we just tear down the motor to ensure there's no funny stuff. I.E. easier, as it eliminates one whole area of potential cheating, and leaves but one item of the two that actually needs to be tech'd.

I also agree that tuning rotors for spec classes are a horrible idea. Now instead of cutting comms and trying brushes we're screwing with can timing, and tuning rotors, arguably a little easier, but WAY more expensive.

Like I said, LOCKDOWN the motors. No adjustable timing, one legal rotor. Open the esc so we can still tune to the track and or our driving style.
+1

Timed ESC's are here. Now, no matter what, there will always be a question of the legality of someone's ESC. People will question the hardware and/or software of any manufacturer.

We can accept it or keep complaining in forums and racetracks over it.

I think Randy Pike from Tekin said to just run sensorless.

1/12th scale, just 1/12th scale.
I love to go like hell for 8 minutes.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #119
Suspended

Lockdown motors, lockdown esc's , lockdown tires,lockdown cars, lockdown radios, lockdown servos, lockdown batteries and chargers, essentially lockdown everything. I wonder if the ultimate spec class would be to require all to run Nikko F1 type cars out of the box with the provided nicd's and chargers with the same brand tire sauce. Now that would be a real spec class! Most of us have been through that at age 6 , and we're not willing to go back there, but we can find a way to lockdown both the ESC and MOTOR and call it a day . Blinky somewhat solves one problem, but the motor issue is the real problem now....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:

Yeah this won't work either...And what I mean is that tech needs to be more strict not less. Hara was running software in Super Stock in Vegas that no one else could get in a 17.5 spec class. I was told it just fixed a couple of feel issues with the Tekin, well that is the biggest complaint with Tekin, is the feel. In mod sky is the limit, but in a spec classes we need rules and we need them enforced.

No one but the slower guys want a level playing field, but the people at the top and the manufactures don't want fair; they want wins!

It was already crazy to have so many national and world champions in a 17.5 spec class. It would be nice to know that I am competing with the best in the world in a super stock class and that I have a chance to compete with them because we are all running the same hardware and software. I know that I am not gonna beat Hara, but I am certainly not going to beat him when he is being feed better motors, better batteries and software that no one else can get. Do world champions really need more of an advantage in a spec class?

In my opinion at these nation or world class events we need non-timing spec classes with handout motor. Timing speed controls have really not helped getting people to the tracks. Our local track has seen an increase since we moved to non-timing stock classes and this is the case at almost every track in the US.