Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

they're not going to use tracks like road america, elkhart lake, or long beach?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by superspeed
It's easier for Bernie to rape New Jersey / New York for the $25 - $30 million sanctioning fee than to get blood from a turnip in California.

Those other tracks would require too much money to upgrade them to current FIA safety standards, and Bernie wants to stick close to big cities. Still not clear how temporary street circuits can meet the FIA safety standards?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
There's a new Sheriff in town!

That's great news Rick, are you gonna run with us UF1 guys?
I hope so and if you put it down at West Coast I'll do the same and I'm sure we can get at least a few more to drop in too.

Gonna be there tonite doin some dirt and maybe F1 laps too.
More like the prodigal son returns, Rick has run F1 for a long time.
Welcome back dude!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
It's easier for Bernie to rape New Jersey / New York for the $25 - $30 million sanctioning fee than to get blood from a turnip in California.

Those other tracks would require too much money to upgrade them to current FIA safety standards, and Bernie wants to stick close to big cities. Still not clear how temporary street circuits can meet the FIA safety standards?
Because they're "grandfathered" in like Monaco.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've got a car going together right now myself.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
There's a new Sheriff in town!

That's great news Rick, are you gonna run with us UF1 guys?
I hope so and if you put it down at West Coast I'll do the same and I'm sure we can get at least a few more to drop in too.

Gonna be there tonite doin some dirt and maybe F1 laps too.
I am going to try and do some UF1 races but not sure about scheduling. I can already see two dates in the winter schedule where I will be out of town.

My plan is to run at WCRC. I am there once per week already so I would like to increase on-road participation by increasing the number of vehicles that race on any given club night.

Off-road's advantage is that there are 5-6 types of cars racing any given night and when added together makes a pretty good (profitable) turnout. At WCRC we are getting 20+ TC every week. This is not very many but compared to any single type of vehicle on an off-road night it is pretty good. On-road needs TC, mini, F1, 1/12 and other vehicle type to race together to really make on-road a super healthy discipline.

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
More like the prodigal son returns, Rick has run F1 for a long time.
Welcome back dude!!!
Yes it has been a while. I raced the first Tamiya F1 back when they were first release.

F1 had been off my radar for a while. There have been some at WCRC but nothing exciting. My first glimpse of the newer cars was at the IIC. After one of my heats I was set to marshall the F1 class. When I saw the Rheinard Ferrari and Wilck Mclaren I knew I had to have one. They look incredible!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It will be great to see you running F1s.

I'm sure it won't be too hard to get more of the current F1 guys interested in some club racing although the UF1 guys will be running bi weekly starting in November for their Winter Series at TQ. Lots of fun, lots of F1s.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
I've got a car going together right now myself.
Call Scott McSquish and tell him to get one also.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am going to try and do some UF1 races but not sure about scheduling. I can already see two dates in the winter schedule where I will be out of town.

My plan is to run at WCRC. I am there once per week already so I would like to increase on-road participation by increasing the number of vehicles that race on any given club night.

Off-road's advantage is that there are 5-6 types of cars racing any given night and when added together makes a pretty good (profitable) turnout. At WCRC we are getting 20+ TC every week. This is not very many but compared to any single type of vehicle on an off-road night it is pretty good. On-road needs TC, mini, F1, 1/12 and other vehicle type to race together to really make on-road a super healthy discipline.

Yes it has been a while. I raced the first Tamiya F1 back when they were first release.

F1 had been off my radar for a while. There have been some at WCRC but nothing exciting. My first glimpse of the newer cars was at the IIC. After one of my heats I was set to marshall the F1 class. When I saw the Rheinard Ferrari and Wilck Mclaren I knew I had to have one. They look incredible!
Spot on on the assessment of on road, IMO the other key factor in offloads success is that there hasn't been radical change in the classes. You could buy a 2wd buggy today, and chances are that 5 years from now there will still be a class to race it in. It's cool that people come up with new ideas for classes, but there needs to be 2 or 3 core classes that never go away and don't drastically change in their format.
You used to really lay it down in F1 back in the day at Aliso Hobbies and Hobbytown Irvine. Can't wait to see how you fair in your comeback. Of course I'll be watching from here in Detroit, but it'll still be cool.
You still got your bi racecar?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by superspeed
It would be nice, but Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI does not have the capacity to cater to the amount of people that would flood the area (hotels, lodging and such.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Had a big NASCAR VTA Oval race today at Mikes Hobbies, but that didnt stop us from having some fun between heats with our F1s.
White - FGX
Leyton House F104W
Benetton - F103 anniversary
Mclaren - F109
Ugly yellow mutant - Narrow F109.
Attached Thumbnails F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?-img_0219.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Are you telling me you ran F1 cars on a oval?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
no, we ran on the road course. Well ok I did do a few hot laps on the oval, but 90% road course.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by texastc
no, we ran on the road course. Well ok I did do a few hot laps on the oval, but 90% road course.
Oh ok. I was going to say...

We hope to have atleast three cars at our local track next weekend to play with. Really looking forward to it.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default F1 on Oval

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
What's wrong with F1 Cars on an oval? F1 Cars are just ugly IndyCars! (I agree the current Indy Dalaras are not much to look at, but the current F1's, with all the aero junk are UGLY)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.