Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Yet everyone and their brothers raced Slashes til they were superceded by SC10s.
That was about a month at my track. I took one of my RC10T4's, extended the chassis, bolted on some slash rims and tires, added a body, lapped the field 3 times and nobody thought the Slash Class was fun anymore.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
True better stuff came out...but why...people wanted better and the manufacturers obliged them. If Slash was so good as a spec class people wouldn't have flocked to the better options.
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Gidday,

Well we had a great race meeting yesterday - 13 cars racing in the Final!! This is for all the people who think you cant race F103's F109's and F104's togther. Yes F103's were at the front, but there is a F104 3rd on the grid and an F109 4th.

Check out the results of the final http://www.crccc.co.nz/Results/On_Ro...in_Race_3.html

pretty close for most of the cars.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice pic! Was a good day of racing, apart from the dodgy radio gear that ruined my whole day
Hopefully I will have it sorted for the next meeting...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh and also there was a Corally there, well not at the start, he missed the start and joined half way through the race.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Inboard suspension design by Traxxas can be leveraged into an F1. They need to take the 1/16 rally and extend it to a standard F1 car length. Traxxas 1/16 rally takes any 1/10 touring rims and tires, that was the right approach. However, 1/16 rally fell short due to non-popular bodies, and high price. The 1/16 vxl vehicles are almost same as 1/10 counterparts. I really think the 1/16 chassis can turn into a good handling F1 car.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by superspeed
Inboard suspension design by Traxxas can be leveraged into an F1. I really think the 1/16 chassis can turn into a good handling F1 car.
Maybe when hell freezes over. LOL
Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not sure if you remember, Tamiya made F201 which was a 4wd inboard suspension type F1 chassis. Ball type axle carriers for camber adjustment. Car was heavy and it was limited to gearing option. It was easy to drive and not too bad on maintenance. T-plate pan car style doesn't work on bumpy surface. The "shortcourse" of onroad should be a car that is easy to drive, simple to maintain, and capable of r/c competition out of the box. Brushless and LiPo don't always mean insane speed. Decide on high turn motor, limit to 2 cell with a certain C rating on LiPo and belted rubber tires with good grip.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Yes they did...and it was a flop...shortest lived F1 chassis Tamiya ever produced. There were many issues with the car durability and design wise...and 4wd never caught on among the F1 purists.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoRookie
Maybe when hell freezes over. LOL
Or maybe when guys like you stop being elitist pricks. Guys like you are why classes like this go by the boards because you feel like you have to get up on your high horse and bring in your specially made chassis and "lap the field three times"...it goes completely against the spirit of the class
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Or maybe when guys like you stop being elitist pricks. Guys like you are why classes like this go by the boards because you feel like you have to get up on your high horse and bring in your specially made chassis and "lap the field three times"...it goes completely against the spirit of the class
If you want to stick with your "spirit of the class" argument maybe you should stick with racing your Pinewood Derby and Hot Wheels cars. LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
+1
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I honestly thought Associated was on to something with the old RC10 DS. remember that? It was just an RC10 with stubby A-arms and short shocks. It looked like a touring car, was easy and cheap to maintain and I'm guessing were a ton of fun! Bring those back and there is your OnRoad Slash. One of the biggest problems with a dedicated onroad rig is that they are not really suited to running around in the street in front of a guys house. Kind of makes it a tough sell when someone can only use their car at the track. I personally think the F1 cars are really not the way to go for an entry level guy. True for a guy with setup knowledge and lots of wheel time an F1 car may seem easy to set up and drive but for a newbie they can be a handful and very discouraging. Someone like AE could easily do a revamp of the B4 in the same flavor as the old DS. Drop in the RTR gear that they use in everything else and you're set! AE will probably have a B5/T5 out before too much longer so this would be a good way for them to burn up old B4/T4 parts inventory too!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Used Up Junk
I honestly thought Associated was on to something with the old RC10 DS. remember that? It was just an RC10 with stubby A-arms and short shocks. It looked like a touring car, was easy and cheap to maintain and I'm guessing were a ton of fun! Bring those back and there is your OnRoad Slash.
The problem with those, if I remember the dating right, was that they came out about the same time the first Touring Cars came on the market. The TCs couldn't compete with the 1/10th pan cars, and being roughly the same weight as TCs the RC10DS was forced to run with the 4wds. No win situation.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Sorry, this shot just looks pimp. This is the reason I wish F1 would take off.. Love the look of the class, and love getting action shots of the cars. They can look so much like the real thing going around the track if you do it right
Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good to see all F1 chassis allowed to participate...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.