R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #121
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Maybe not a mini but how about 1/12 GT?
If you want an entry level, basic, inexpensive, 1/12th scale GT car you might want to check out Mardaves. Very popular in the UK.
http://www.mardavespares.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymjg6...eature=related
kaycerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #122
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For anything to take off in onroad it needs a few things:
1. Brushless- all the new guys want it. Just a cheep blinky esc and reasonable motor. You could run an f1 off a 380 brushless and still have it fast.
2. Lipo friendly- Who wants to blow stuff up because they left that out of the speedo or have to upgrade.
3. RTR and Durable. We raced slashes on road for a long time, I think I have spent about $10 in parts. Traxxas could put a sports car body on the slash and something like the old RC10 dual sports and it would be killer. Plus you could play with it at home. Entry level people don't want an shelf queen that cant be run around in the street.
4. Facilities, here in Vegas there is no permanent track you can test and tune. Most of the people that buy these things want to play with them. I know a ton of people that never race but love to go practice with their buddies at the off road tracks.
5. Rubber tires- Foam has a bad reputation for drivability and durability. Not always correct but you cant fight the perception. We race Legends cars here and have gotten 2 seasons out of the tires for most of us. They're fun but a handful.

The rubber tire pan cars look killer. I'd love to see that come stateside. But pan cars need a great tuning guide there's a ton of knowledge out there but no straight forward this is what a tbar does, etc. guides.
Bruce from Speed Merchant taught me a ton about the cars helping with my HPI car. Not sure what is going to come out of his shop but he's got F1 on the brain. Hiro, Paul Lemieux and a few other people also helped me find a way to get the car working.
Syxxstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have been running F1 cars since 1989 , my first car was a Lotus 99T which I still have, and is now restored and on the F1 Paintlab site.
I have seen the class boom and die 3 or 4 times now. I dont see it being a steady mainstream class. It takes someone like Charles Lightfoot, or Chris Chan before him to make it happen. We did a series here in Detroit from 1990 till 98 that was all parking lots, if I ever get caught up I will scan and post the pics. After that it all went indoors on carpet, and it went the way just about all onroad classes go, hot then not.
I am trying to help the guys in Toledo get a class going, building chassis, painting bodies, etc.
I started F1 Paintlab as a way to legitimize my hobby, but it is beginning to take on a life of its own to the point that it may become my day job very soon.
I think the bickering on the rules is going to kill F1 before it has a chance to get going. There are a ton of cars out there with nowhere to race, maybe F1 needs to be split into 2 groups, 2000-present, which would be more spec in the motor and tires. and Pre-2000 which would be run whatcha brung and hope ya brung enough. I personally would never promote F1 as an entry level class, the cars take a steady hand to setup and drive, and that will basically send the newbies packin. I know that you need new racers to grow, but I wouldnt sell a guy who has never raced an F1 car, he will be done after the first night. I am trying to get set up to be the goto guy for F1 here in the US.
Cars, parts, bodies, decals, tires you name it I am going to try and stock it. When I get things running smoothly, I want to go after the harder to get stuff out of Japan. I am also toying with the idea of doing my own chassis and bodies, but that is down the road a bit. PM me with thoughts,requests or questions. If there is anyone on here that gasnt seen the site, the address is www.f1paintlab.com and the online store is f1paintlab.com/zencart.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
If someone pumped that kind of money into an on-road class at nascar events and at petit lemans or other similar events I think it would get a similar response. The problem is that there is nobody doing that.
Traxxas was at the ALMS race at Mid-Ohio this year. All the guys in the booth were jumping Slashes and Revos on the grass test track, but damn near all the spectators were watching the one guy who was drifting the Ken Block Gymkhana car on the infield roadway.

TRAXXAS PLEASE PRODUCE A DECENT F1 OR GT1/2 RTR FOR US!!! I would prefer a RLL BMW M3, but you could also do a Flying Lizard 911 and a Corvette...... how damn cool would that be? SPEC ALMS GT at every track in the US........
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #125
Tech Initiate

**EDITED due to unintentional hijackery!**

Last edited by tsan; 10-13-2011 at 08:52 AM.
tsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #126
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsan View Post
That is awesome! For years I've thought that a simple/inexpensive 1/12 rubber pan car would be a super-fun class. I know onroad already has a 'too many classes' problem already, but that is something I'd love to see catch on in my area.

Does anyone know if there is a supplier to North America for these? maybe even an online store that carries them? I see them on UK's eBay, but the shipping to Toronto would probably cost a too much.
Other than I don't see how much of this is helping the actual discussion, F1, you might get more info by posting in the existing discussion on this car. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ng-master.html
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #127
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycerc View Post
Other than I don't see how much of this is helping the actual discussion, F1, you might get more info by posting in the existing discussion on this car. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ng-master.html
Sorry guys, I didn't realize this was an F1 thread! goggle sent me right into the post I quoted in my reply, and I didn't bother to read the other replies.
Didn't mean to hijack your discussion. Thanks for the info, though!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
TRAXXAS PLEASE PRODUCE A DECENT F1 OR GT1/2 RTR FOR US!!! I would prefer a RLL BMW M3, but you could also do a Flying Lizard 911 and a Corvette...... how damn cool would that be? SPEC ALMS GT at every track in the US........
You know there is already a USGT and or RCGT type classes being raced around the country that is exactly what you are talking about. In my neck of the woods I know it’s not as great as Ohio but it was one of the larger classes this summer and so far in the Midwest All-Star Carpet series is USGT. GT type bodies.....21.5 motors and Blinky ESC's..spec tires. Tamiya and HPI both make the M3 body you are looking for....along with 911's. I know that this is a sedan class and it might be a little too simple for someone with your 12th scale background but it is out there.....maybe look outside your neighborhood to see what others are doing might help as well.

Now if someone would only make a national rule set for others to follow or use as a guideline that would be helpful too......
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilXGazog5Ec

That vid is good, but the F1 footage in this one is great. He even has the F1 accent. All the highlights in this vid of IIC in Vegas are impressive.

They looked pretty good with the top guys driving them for sure, but certainly not a basher car that be a slash for onroad. Perhaps a 'shortcourse' kinda class where there is more laughter.
That's because it's Nick Daman, and since doing stuff for TV is his job it better be good!

I love the idea of F1, but again I'd have to justify the expense of running more classes before getting one.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #130
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
.... I personally would never promote F1 as an entry level class, the cars take a steady hand to setup and drive, and that will basically send the newbies packin.
+1000. I bought a F1 car because of all the good promotional work Lightfoot has done. Sounded like a lot of fun. However, the car is more than a challenge to set up, and tricky to drive consistently. I am not bad driver, just new. I can setup and drive TC ok, but I'll be darned if I can figure out this F1. I almost gave up, had the car stripped and ready for sale... I'll keep it and try again, but in no way will this class appeal to new drivers past several outings.

Last edited by Micro-E; 10-13-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Micro-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #131
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-E View Post
+1000. I bought a F1 car because of all the good promotional work Lightfoot has done. Sounded like a lot of fun. However, the car is more than a challenge to set up, and tricky to drive consistently. I am not bad driver, just new. I can setup and drive TC ok, but I'll be darned if I can figure out this F1. I almost gave up, had the car stripped and ready for sale... I'll keep it and try again, but in no way will this class appeal to new drivers past several outings.
That seems to be the problem with any "new guy" that goes from a heavy 4wd car to a lightweight/more nimble 2wd, that requires a calmer/smoother throttle finger. Shouldn't be as much of a set-up issue, as it is knowing you just can't mash on the gas and expect it to stick, IMHO.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1 is not a beginners class.And those very expensive Tamiya bodies to make them a LMP or GT cars? Back in the old day Traxx's did make a 1/12th rtr and in kit form.I sold my last kit a year ago.It was not competitive at the time with the 1/12th that were available. traxxs has make several hits in the market- the last was the SC.
But if you want to make F1 a class- Foam tires! silver can or 21.5 with blinky mode.Simple and then take the time to learn how to drive.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #133
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

F1 still doesn't have the right tires available in rubber.

They are getting close but they have to have something SUPER soft for the rear in order to get the car stuck without having to get the complete setup perfect and keep it that way.
Then once it is stuck you will need a couple different front tires to add just enough steering for different surfaces.
The F103 has the combos in foam to do just that and the rubber that was available for the 103, the type A, is long gone.

The F104 is terrible without the perfect tires.
The kit tires are both medium compound and the car is undriveable but with their option soft rears the car is almost mangeable but still not a racecar.
Pushes into corners and then loose out of corners.

Pit Shimzu is really close with their latest combos for the F104 and with some careful tuning they have some guys ALMOST up to speed but I'm not one of them, yet, cuz I haven't had to put down the F103 on foams completely, yet. That is happening very soon though and that is F ing sad!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
F1 is not a beginners class.And those very expensive Tamiya bodies to make them a LMP or GT cars? Back in the old day Traxx's did make a 1/12th rtr and in kit form.I sold my last kit a year ago.It was not competitive at the time with the 1/12th that were available. traxxs has make several hits in the market- the last was the SC.
But if you want to make F1 a class- Foam tires! silver can or 21.5 with blinky mode.Simple and then take the time to learn how to drive.
I guess it depends on where you are standing at the moment. I have seen and taken notes from what other tracks are doing.It seems that every group has there way of racing the F1's. Tires and motors are the big issue. The only ones that are consistent seem to be the ones that follow TCS rules. When we decided to start a series it was on a huge temp track with 27T motors and 6 cells. They were flying and more people bought cars to race with us after seeing them. It did not take long for the new people to get discouraged with the same people always making the a-main because yes, they thought they could jump out there and win, They did not know setups, they never practiced, and it started to drop in number of drivers. We had a meeting and found that splitting the class to a 4 cell option was the best idea for the new guys and, a rule that the fast guys had to help the new people on how to drive them and setups. It ended up that the 4- cell cars were not much slower because they were easier to drive and it became a 50/50 split and the4-cell guys loved it. Some even bought a second car for the times they wanted to :run with the big dogs and it worked well for us. That is why I think an entry level class would compliment regular F1 class. But like I said, it depends where you are standing at the moment. Think about it because we need to get some numbers for this with standard rules that will be simple and on a level that anyone can race at their home track or a national event. which= more racers.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #135
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
F1 still doesn't have the right tires available in rubber.
+1

I've always felt the rubber tires even starting with the F103 felt more like touring car tires that someone resized for F1 rather than making a new compound specifically for the lighter pan car format. The best rubber tires I found were the old Tamiya capped rubber where they just gave you a tube of a super soft/sticky rubber that you had to cut and glue on to a foam tire. They worked really well but were a pain to make and looked terrible. Proline started making a molded cap but went with much too hard of a rubber compound so it never worked well. The tires we have now are much too hard and way too heavy for the cars.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote