R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #91
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
It would be like someone putting an F1 body and wings on a SpeedMerchant/CRC/XRay/TOP/Associated/(sorry if I forgortyour favorite) WGT car slapping in a 21.5 and no timing esc and telling you it meets the motor and speedo requirements is therefore legal for the stock class. The car doesn't look realistic in the slightest, but it will fly!
You have a point, but I think F1 classes have already banished that cheater concept and instead insisted on use of narrow front chassis designs.
kaycerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #92
Tech Initiate

Started racing summer 2010 with f1 as my first class! Also race tc 17.5 and 12th in the winter. Hands down f1 is my fave! Now to my points
Yeah mixing classes for realistic bodies would be bomb. For f1 the dilemma is the whole f104 vs 103 especially at the club level. I've had 103, 104 and now trg 109 with custom front end. Why? Because the 103 is king in the right hands. Limiting wheel base might help, or like usf1 making 103 mod only. IMO this is the only real issue in f1 besides tire wars. which I think rubber could answer. Sorry you oldies get with the future and retire those 103's or put 17.5 in them at least! Lol
likeakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycerc View Post
If that was the case then the slash-class would still have the same following and popularity now that it did three years ago, but the fact is most tracks have totally dropped the class. Because the slash is a POS.
Yes and no. Nobody runs the spec slash class anymore because its expensive, there are people that will change there motor every run to win a club race, which takes all the fun out of it.

The slash is still a very popular truck that makes its way to the track on occasion (I blame hobby town for this mostly), but most people who enjoy the track more than there backyard quickly sell the slash to fund an SC10. Yes the slash is a POS for racing but it is perfect for bashing in the back yard and lets face it, Traxxas puts a TON of money behind the car, sending it to real race events and having expo's and demo's at said race events. That gets people to go to there local hobby shop and buy a slash because they played with one at the atlanta supercross or at monster jam and had fun with it.

On-road unfortunately doesn't have anyone marketing a vehicle like that, and that is what has gotten the SC class to grow and be what it is today I think. And before I get flammed I do run a hobby shop near atlanta ga and we very commonly right after a big event at the GA dome weather it be monster trucks, dirt bikes, ect will get a ton of phone calls following the event of people asking about the slash because they played with one at the event and might like to have one to play with. I can thank traxxas for a bunch of SCT sales over the last few years. If someone pumped that kind of money into an on-road class at nascar events and at petit lemans or other similar events I think it would get a similar response. The problem is that there is nobody doing that.
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #94
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I thought the Kyle Busch truck was going to take off in oval, and that rally chassis can cross-over between on-road, carpet, asphalt, and your driveway.
It hasn't happened. I don't know why. It seemed a pretty logical choice. With the upcoming B-Spec series' sprouting up across the country (at least two Pro Series, in additional to those same cars being campaigned in Rallycrosses) you'd think it might gain some traction, but we've had no buzz whatsoever.
CBear3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry, F1 is more of a novelty. Mini's seem to be more suitable but it hasn't take off like shortcourse for offroad.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #96
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
It's got to be HPI or Tamiya that do it, but if they are listening this part is important: DO NOT MAKE A PRO VERSION!! Just make the normal one good, and make spares, not hop ups. Because the second you do that you have the age old problem of the fast guy having the pro so therefore you must have the pro to win. Or X, Y, Z hop ups.
If Tamiya or HPI don't make hop ups other car companies will. I don't have a problem with hop ups...as long as you restrict the power sufficiently the hop ups really don't make a difference. The problem at that point is the perception that you need to get this part or that part because the fast guys use it. In a couple of our seasons we had a box stock F201 win the series over F201s that were built completely from hop up parts and worth over $600 just in rolling chassis alone. The fast guys are going to be fast no matter how much you restrict the chassis. Allowing hop ups introduces flavor to the class and keeps tinkerers interested.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #97
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default There may never be a "shortcourse" class for On-Road

Something else to consider.

Off-Road has a much higher turn over of participants than On-Road, where racers tend to stick around for years.

For this reason there may never be a "Shortcourse" vehicle for On-Road racers, as we tend to be more into the quality of racing, and hi-end kits.

Of coarse this may just be my opinion, and not based on fact

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
Sorry, F1 is more of a novelty. Mini's seem to be more suitable but it hasn't take off like shortcourse for offroad.
The problem with Minis is that they look like Minis.

I was sure the ABC Minis would make the class go apeshit with the cool looks of their BRE Datsun 510 and 240Z bodies as well as the several other real car bodies although that's another class being that they are 4wd.
Cooper Minis just don't do it for a lot of racers but you cannot argue that the class is about as affordable and competitive as any class has ever been.
Yeh, silvercans are always a problem but can actually be controlled with the right guys in charge of scrutineering, calling out the "cheaters".
The So Cal Tamiya mini guys are all over that aspect and have a pretty regular following at WCRC now and then.
They also swarm the Tamiya home track here every single Saturday.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #99
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default F1 racing

Lots of good opinions put forth so far. IMO, rules won't help if there is no one there to race. Why not start with any kind of F1/Indy car, just limiting motors in order to get some drivers on the track? Everyone agrees they are a blast to drive and they actually require some semblance of skill since they have no fenders. Once your track gets enough interest, then think about more specific rules to make things more equal.

It will be cool if a manufacturer actually comes out with an RTR F1 car that works and has good support, but we have to realize that this won't happen if they don't notice a desire on the part of the racing community. Team drivers race at tracks all around the country and will hopefully report to their respective teams about what people want to race. Lots of current racers have F1 cars collecting dust and would bring them out just for grins if they won't be told they can't race just because it isn't spec.

Every track makes their own rules for club racing, based on the opinions of local drivers. Big races set forth the classes and rules with plenty of advance time to prep our cars. I see no need to kill a potential class with excessive regulation at the club level. Almost all racers have plenty of motors and other equipment, so it really would not be a big deal to make some changes to a car in order to meet the rules of a different track.
KarpetRCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #100
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

F1 has been around for years?No? Now because of IIC it's being taken serious now?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Touring cars were the shortcourse of onroad before shortcourse trucks came about, problem is the onroad crowd killed them. I was there for the beginning of TC racing with my TA02 and then my HPI RS4 when everyone ran realistic bodies and tires that would last months. Then the manufacturers started making softer tires that wore out after a weekend or so, then we went to bodies that didn't look like anything at all (early stratus bodies). Then foam tires came out and it splintered the class even more. Now there's 20 different TC classes and all of them have 2-3 guys racing it. Get TC back to two classes, stock (17.5 blinky) and mod and TC racing might take off again. Problem is different parts of the country have different ideas what TC racing should be. Some parts love ramping esc's, some hate them. Some parts love Foam tires, some hate them. We the racers are our own enemy when it comes to getting a fun onroad class together.

*rant off
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #102
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

TC and 1/12 is alive and well in the North East.

What we need is a Wild Willy class!! Now that's racin'... Brrrraapp!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #103
Tech Champion

I say we have a spec hover craft race Don't have to worry about what tires work or don't work.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post
F1 has been around for years?No? Now because of IIC it's being taken serious now?
It's about time. Getting a foothold is the first step. Now if the rest of the country could get on the stick and standardize at least 2 classes it could get the ball rolling. It seems that 21.5 is what is making it happen and I'm all for it. I still think a silver can class would work well to get more peeps involved as an entry level to support the brushless cars. Just like a Stock and mod class used to be the norm. Two F1 champions at each event. I keep hearing that silvercan is going away. That's a bunch of nonsence, all the companies keep sending them over here with most every RTR and at $17 each what newbie would turn it away. They can move up when they are ready. Yes the lap times won't be that big of a gap but numbers are what's needed to make the class have staying power and to get the support from the companies that build and sell the cars. But what do I know. I still have Tamiya model kits that were "sutable" for radio control and they are still making laps, but at a slower rate. They're pretty old.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #105
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

F1 has been around for awhile true. However I've never seen a full heat of them run by guys that could actually drive them. IT was exciting to watch them come within inches of each other. IT had the look to it especially those with the led kits for the rear lamp.

All it would take is a simply inexpensive kit to get going. Hop ups aren't an issue as long as the cars end up the same in the end. SC racing has many options including factory team kits and in the end they're all good. Yes some better but all get around the track.

On road has NO entry level class that is on the same level as SC racing. This is the issue. Whether F1 is it or some other class this is on roads main issue of lack of growth.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote