R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #421
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I tend to agree that oval looks and can be kinda boring. BUT when you race with really fast guys and see how consistant and precice their lines and car set-ups are, you might be able to see the attraction. Variety, that's what makes the world go 'round (except F1 in Toledo ).

No, you're not "mean" 'cause you have a different opinion than I do (that would be small of me to think that way ). The context I meant it in had to do with SR's kind offer of a room, which made it possible for me to come up and have some great times and see him and other friends, I include you near the top of the list of friends, after all I raced for poop in Toledo, but you took me fishing and got me my BASS!!!!

It was a joke, really I apologize, but still don't like the F1 rules ;-P
I'll get over your insults and still let you buy my pizza when you are in town.

As for Oval racing being boring I wouldn't say the racing is boring but the lack of right turns bored me after a few weeks. It just seemed like anyone with a good motor and battery could run at the front of the pack.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #422
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
These are the rules we stole, bent and made up with no idea how a F1 car even drives. However we do have rules in place and people are buying nd building cars for this class right this minute. We should be starting or racing in 2 weeks or so. Once we start all these rules might just go in the gabage for all i know. lol

Below are the planned F-1 rules for this years indoor season at the Woodville Mall indoor track in Toledo, OH. If you have any concern or constructive comments, please reply.

Chassis rules for the Tamiya F104 class

All chassis platforms must be built per the instruction manual. Altering their basic structure and design is prohibited.

This class is baised off the Tamiya F104 chassis so you must run a F104 chassis that is 180mm wide. The Tamiya F104-W will not be eligible for points or awards as it is 20mm wider than all the other 104's as are all the Tamiya F103's. Legal chassis would be Tamiya F104, Tamiya 104-PRO, Tamiya F104-X1

Tamiya parts only. No parts from other manufactures unless specified within this document.

Any Tamiya Hop-Up Option and spare part is allowed and legal as long as it is used in the way it was designed, and installed on the vehicle it was designed for.

It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the car in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups or kit supplied accessories.

Chassis lightening (by means of milling parts) is prohibited.

Lightweight screws or adjustable turnbuckles that are made of aluminum, steel or Titanium that are made by other manufactures are allowed. i.e. any screw or turnbuckle is legal.

The use of thin shims (available at most hobby stores and made available by Tamiya) to space out the slop or play in suspension arms, steering bell-cranks and wheel axles is permitted. Shimming the aforementioned components of the car in a way that alters the geometry of the car or its basic geometry design is not legal.

The use of O-Rings on shock ball ends and camber/steering links is allowed.

Changing the camber-link positions on the car other than the way it was intended is prohibited.

Camber links must be positioned in the mounting holes they were originally drilled for. Drilling new camber link holes is not permitted or legal.

Steering tie-rod linkages, on all chassis platforms, must be attached to the steering knuckle per the instruction manual. Drilling new holes to change “ackerman” is not permitted. Raising and lowering the steering tie-rod with shims, on the steering knuckle itself to change bump steer is permitted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELECTRONICS

Motors: Any ROAR approved 21.5 brushless motor. Adjusting of the end bell is not permitted. The Tamiya Silver can motor is permitted. It is forbidden to crank the timing on the 540-J motor physically or through the use of rare earth magnets.

ESC: Any ROAR approved Sportsman class speed controls. You may view the list here. sportsman ESC list

Battery: 2 cell lipo, or 6 cell NiMH

Sport packs that are readily available at hobby stores are legal as long as they are assembled from the general hobby industry i.e. Orion, Peak, Reedy, Duratrax, Dynamite, Trinity and Hobbico etc.

Any battery connector or direct hard wiring to the battery is allowed.

Lipo batteries must be in a hard case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Body

All Bodies must be made for the Tamiya F-104

All car bodies must be painted and must be cut along the trim lines. You are not allowed to create extra vent holes for the purpose of ventilation or performance enhancement. Leaving extra material below the trim lines of the body is prohibited.

All car bodies must use the wings that are supplied in the kit. Mixing and matching wings, between different body styles, is not allowed.
In the spirit of keeping the Racing scale in appearance to the public all bodies should appear to be of a real F1 team or look like it could be a real F1 team. Vintage F1 team colors are permitted.

Tires and Wheels

Spec tire: Pit Shimizu pre mounts (Not sure on the compounds yet)

Tire conditioners are allowed on tires.

If a driver finds a loophole within the rules, the exploitation will be deemed illegal at the discretion of the race director.
We ran our first race today under these rules. We only had 3 entries because some guys are still waiting on parts, tires, or cars at this point. It should get bigger and bigger every week. The racing was perfect! Aside from my TQ and win. lol I have a 104 Pro Ted has a X1 and Brent has a X1
Round 1
Lon 30 laps 6:01.279 Fastest lap 11.592
Ted 30 laps 6:02.767 Fastest lap 11.502
Brent 30 laps 6:10.094 Fastest lap 11.636

Round 2
Ted 30 laps 6:04.154 Fastest lap 11.515
Lon 30 laps 6:06.813 Fastest lap 11.597
Brent 23 laps Broke

Round 3
Lon 31 laps 6:10.076 Fastest lap 11.503
Ted 30 laps 6:00.186 Fastest lap 11.587
Brent 30 laps 6:11.087 Fastest lap 11.821

Brent burned up his motor so he did not run the main

Main
Lon 30 laps 6:05.006 Fastest lap 11.616
Ted 30 laps 6:05.337 Fastest lap 11.605
The lead changed hands 3 times in the main and was just a awesome race!

Brent and Ted are running Brushless while I am running Silver can. So far it looks exactly like what we wanted from the class. Super tight racing with the focus being on smooth and staying clean. If you make a mistake it takes 6 perfect laps to make back up 1 sec.

Atleast 4 new guys sound serious about getting a car to race with us so I hope we can make this into a 2 heat class by the 1st of the year.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #423
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

jeeze, looks like you guys got it right, right off the bat! Our first race over the summer wasnt quite that tight, but I remember our fast laps were within .2 for 4 cars. We had a mix match of 103s 104s and 109s. Foams, rubber, 21.5s, 27t stock, and 17.5 1 cells. Now we are all rubber tire and 21.5/silvercans. We will have a class this weekend at our Fall Classic race. At least 5 F1s are signed up already.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #424
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default UF1 Series

First race of the UF1 Winter series starts this Saturday at TQ in Chino California... doors open at 10AM, racing starts around noon...
F1 class and LM class...

for more info:

http://uf1series.com/index.html
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #425
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
We ran our first race today under these rules. We only had 3 entries because some guys are still waiting on parts, tires, or cars at this point. It should get bigger and bigger every week. The racing was perfect! Aside from my TQ and win. lol I have a 104 Pro Ted has a X1 and Brent has a X1
Round 1
Lon 30 laps 6:01.279 Fastest lap 11.592
Ted 30 laps 6:02.767 Fastest lap 11.502
Brent 30 laps 6:10.094 Fastest lap 11.636

Round 2
Ted 30 laps 6:04.154 Fastest lap 11.515
Lon 30 laps 6:06.813 Fastest lap 11.597
Brent 23 laps Broke

Round 3
Lon 31 laps 6:10.076 Fastest lap 11.503
Ted 30 laps 6:00.186 Fastest lap 11.587
Brent 30 laps 6:11.087 Fastest lap 11.821

Brent burned up his motor so he did not run the main

Main
Lon 30 laps 6:05.006 Fastest lap 11.616
Ted 30 laps 6:05.337 Fastest lap 11.605
The lead changed hands 3 times in the main and was just a awesome race!

Brent and Ted are running Brushless while I am running Silver can. So far it looks exactly like what we wanted from the class. Super tight racing with the focus being on smooth and staying clean. If you make a mistake it takes 6 perfect laps to make back up 1 sec.

Atleast 4 new guys sound serious about getting a car to race with us so I hope we can make this into a 2 heat class by the 1st of the year.
Lon, Interesting info! Thanks for posting! Questions: What caused Brent to hurt his motor keeping up with a silvercan shouldn't be that much stress! What tires did you come up with as Spec? Only comment is that you, Ted, and Brent are arguably three of the top racers in the area and the closeness is bound to be less as less capable drivers show up....

P.S. USF1 changed their rules to allow the new FXG! Now there's some accomodating folks!
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #426
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Lon, Interesting info! Thanks for posting! Questions: What caused Brent to hurt his motor keeping up with a silvercan shouldn't be that much stress! What tires did you come up with as Spec? Only comment is that you, Ted, and Brent are arguably three of the top racers in the area and the closeness is bound to be less as less capable drivers show up....

P.S. USF1 changed their rules to allow the new FXG! Now there's some accomodating folks!
Well brent had a all around bad day. His brand new speed passion motor wouldn't work at all so he bought a Novak 21.5 from Hobby stop and that also burned up. No idea why either. He was running the same gearing as Ted and Ted's motor was coming off the track at like 80º to 100º. Brent thinks the Speed passion ESC might be at fault but none of us really know.

We are using the pit tires soft rears and med fronts I think. They have a little push to them so far but we only have one day on them and the cars so that may change as we figure out the set up on the chassis. they are really neat to drive though. If your going to fast into a corner you pay for it by pushing out of the corner so you need to brake early and make sure you hit your apex. Then coming off the corner you can get on it pretty early and let the car drift out to the edge of the track as you exit the corner.

On your comment about it being the drivers making it close your right. Three guys who can wheel a car are going to run very close lap times running THE SAME CAR. Thats my whole point. If we all three had different cars and I was 0.250 faster than Ted and Brent, Ted and Brent would be forced to buy another car to compete with me or decide to just race between each other and not count me. They go out and buy the same car I have so now we are all on a level playing feild. Then Jeff shows up with another car and runs .250 faster than Brent, Ted, and Me. Now the rest of us need to buy new cars to keep up with Jeff. See how this all works out? Almost sounds like Boosted ESC's right?

By limiting it to one chassis the racing is about Driving and car set up. Not the best car that someone can get their hands on this week. Its a drivers class. We will leave the Very best of the best VS someone elses idea of the very best racing for the summer time 1/8th scale racing. We work all summer to find .100 and spending giant money to do it all summer long. This winter the plan is to just match driver against driver.

As for less capable drivers showing up I'm sure not everyone is going to run identical lap times but I'll bet some guys who are slower outside will be able to run at the front of this class because their limited budget won't be a factor in our class. Plus the cars are much slower making it much easier to drive for even the older guys. I'd almost be willing to bet you that Joe T, Lon Sr. Marvin D, and You would all run very close to one another and make for some great racing. So get a Tammy car and join the fun! Since you told me you wouldn't buy another F1 car I'm pretty sure you have bought atleast three. Whats one more? lol

Last edited by Dasmopar; 11-11-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #427
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The folks running the USF1 series know what they are doing thats forsure. The problem that I see is if the FXG becomes the "It car" then everyone will be racing to get a new FXG car which is fine and dandy but thats not what our class is about. You buy a Tamiya F104 and race at the Woodville mall you are going to have the "It car" for the Woodville mall and don't have to worry about wasting money on the wrong car. The bonus is your car is also going to be legal at just about any other F1 series in the country!

If someone wants to win by having more car than someone else they can go race VTA with a $1000.00 sedan with crappy tires on it and kill all the RTR HPI cars.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #428
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I gotta chime in.

It's The UF1 Series, stands for Ultimate Formula 1. http://uf1series.com/index.html

We're all just having fun too, some guys went with the Exotech chassis, some run HPI, most run 104s in some variation and a relatively stock 104 won the last championship with a great driver/tuner but no trick of the week chassis, front end or anything else.
If guys start buying the FGX it will be because it's a cool and new twist to F1 and not cuz it's winning. If it can even hang is yet to be seen.
And if it does happen to find it's way to the front due to an advantage, those of us that don't have em will waffle stomp em into the ground by accident while turnmarshalling. Nah, but I'm sure they'll get a handicap or something. Still doubt they will even hang except on the wall where they will look cool.

The UF1 Grand Poobah, Charles Lightfoot got one but not to go and be the guy to beat. He has about 73 or so F1 cars as well as anythng else that looks cool, most important, realistic.
He has run 103s, 104, 104 Exotech's, a couple "Calvanized" 104 i.e. 011 and 012 or something like that. Those and a stable full of RCGT, LeMans, Minis...
We get em cuz they are cool and fun.
Again, so far it hasn't been about a "gotta have it cuz it's the winner car" class but the Exotech car did seem to get some guys droolin and droppin $ cuz it is just bad ass, fresh and all that stuff.
Same as the X1, not dominating cuz of the technology (or is it? I just put the conversion on mine and it was strapped ) but it sure is something lots of us grabbed up.

That's at least 2 cents worth of input from this UF1 diehard.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #429
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I gotta chime in.

It's The UF1 Series, stands for Ultimate Formula 1. http://uf1series.com/index.html

We're all just having fun too, some guys went with the Exotech chassis, some run HPI, most run 104s in some variation and a relatively stock 104 won the last championship with a great driver/tuner but no trick of the week chassis, front end or anything else.
If guys start buying the FGX it will be because it's a cool and new twist to F1 and not cuz it's winning. If it can even hang is yet to be seen.
And if it does happen to find it's way to the front due to an advantage, those of us that don't have em will waffle stomp em into the ground by accident while turnmarshalling. Nah, but I'm sure they'll get a handicap or something. Still doubt they will even hang except on the wall where they will look cool.

The UF1 Grand Poobah, Charles Lightfoot got one but not to go and be the guy to beat. He has about 73 or so F1 cars as well as anythng else that looks cool, most important, realistic.
He has run 103s, 104, 104 Exotech's, a couple "Calvanized" 104 i.e. 011 and 012 or something like that. Those and a stable full of RCGT, LeMans, Minis...
Again, so far it hasn't been about a "gotta have it cuz it's the winner car" class but the Exotech car did seem to get some guys droolin and droppin $ cuz it is just bad ass, fresh and all that stuff.
Same as the X1, not dominating cuz of the technology (or is it? I just put the conversion on mine and it was strapped ) but it sure is something lots of us grabbed up.

Again I have nothing against UF1 or they way their rules are. I think its great but just not the fit we needed in Toledo. Over the past few years I have seen many classes pop up in Toledo and everyone jump on the band wagon then someone shows up with a new car that fits the rules and becomes the car to have. Soon after either everyone has the same car or the class dies because no one wants to buy another car. Last year we had a Losi 1/10th slider class that took off like crazy and was doing very well till the boosted ESC's made it into the class. So we went from having 8 guys in the A main who could win to three guys who could win. Now this season everyone is selling their sliders due to lack of interrest. Our idea was to start a class with scale looks like the sliders had, controled motors and ESC's and a controled chassis rule. F1 seemed to cover all that and almost all our rules are borrowed from other F1 series so it was easy to do. Who knows? Maybe next year guys will want to open the rules up some but for this year it is on Lock down and we will just have to see if it catches on or not.

A picture of my slider from last year.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
I gotta chime in.

Come on Cuda, haven't you been reading the all telling prophecy by the all knowing all conquering VBertrands?
The FGX is THE chassis to have, there is nothing else out there thats worthy
It's so good, it will dominate before it ever turns a wheel
Congrats on your win by the way
Also I understand what DasMopar is trying to do, I have been supplying most of the chassis that are being run down there, with more being delivered this weekend. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you don't add the Exotek conversion on top of the cost of a kit, the price difference is a wash.
But i get the fact that it is just another choice to make and another variable in the competition
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #431
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

one of the 2 big distributors (horizon, GP) need to pick up the FGX

Last edited by superspeed; 11-11-2011 at 09:55 AM.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #432
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Come on Cuda, haven't you been reading the all telling prophecy by the all knowing all conquering VBertrands?
The FGX is THE chassis to have, there is nothing else out there thats worthy
It's so good, it will dominate before it ever turns a wheel
That's only if the Nikko F1 is not there.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #433
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
That's only if the Nikko F1 is not there.
I almost forgot! LMAO!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #434
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thanks BP! Car was at Happy Hour all day. (Tamiya term for that perfect time of day there)

Congrats on being the guy helpin them keep supplied too, sounds great!

BTW, I thought we buried that Nikko/FGX poser.
Careful not to mention his name again, remember saying Beetle Juice 3 X brought him back from the afterlife.

I think it's great that those guys all agree on the same chassis and that it looks promising. That's what it takes to get a class rolling.
Kinda wanted to elaborate on the other chassis and or mods mainly cuz it helps to keep things fresh. Possibility of getting bored with same ol same ol.
That's all, but if it turns out as he has stated that the chassis of the moment kicks everyone's butt into losing interest that's a bad thing.
Here it hasn't happened yet, probably helps that some of the quickest guys are running everyday chassis. It could easily be conceived that a certain chassis would be a must have if those guys all changed to "The One".
I'm sure some of us would bail too.

Dang it, now I want a slider!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #435
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks BP! Car was at Happy Hour all day. (Tamiya term for that perfect time of day there)

Congrats on being the guy helpin them keep supplied too, sounds great!

BTW, I thought we buried that Nikko/FGX poser.
Careful not to mention his name again, remember saying Beetle Juice 3 X brought him back from the afterlife.

I think it's great that those guys all agree on the same chassis and that it looks promising. That's what it takes to get a class rolling.
Kinda wanted to elaborate on the other chassis and or mods mainly cuz it helps to keep things fresh. Possibility of getting bored with same ol same ol.
That's all, but if it turns out as he has stated that the chassis of the moment kicks everyone's butt into losing interest that's a bad thing.
Here it hasn't happened yet, probably helps that some of the quickest guys are running everyday chassis. It could easily be conceived that a certain chassis would be a must have if those guys all changed to "The One".
I'm sure some of us would bail too.

Dang it, now I want a slider!
Yeah and dont say dill hole or butt munch three times either huhhuh huhhuh
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote