Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traction Compounds for Parking Lots

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Traction Compounds for Parking Lots

This weekend we tried a few traction compounds. The one we liked best in the morning was the Paragon Ground Effects on our rubber tires. But as the day went on and the tempature came up it seemed to stop working and then what we found worked best was a bit of motor spray to clean the tires and leave them be. Just wondering what other people are using on their tires to get the most performance from them?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2002, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Jared- we run on a medium traction p/l, and I have found the exact same thing you found- as the track gets really hot, the traction compound quits working.

Try this: when the track temp get on up there, instead of letting the traction compound sit on the tires, put it on, wait a few seconds, then wipe it right off. You are basically doing the same thing- just cleaning them, but you are also putting a little compound into the outside skin of the tire. If you let them sit with compound on them (in the heat), you will have one greasy, skating, donut cutting ride! lol
Old 06-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run on indoor asphalt which makes the surface just about normal to cold. And I often get those loose asphalt sticking on the tires. I always use lighter fluid to get rid of it and it works just like any cleaner.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

It's hard to find, but I use rubber roller cleaner. I just spray it on a rag and wipe the tires clean with it. I also use WD-40 using the same method. Both products clean the tires and at the same time rejuvents the rubber.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I ran some of Trinitys new tire cleaner last week. It worked great. It cleaned the tires and gave them a slight sticky feeling (line new sorex tires for example). We didnt have to use compound after using that stuff.

eric a
Old 06-03-2002, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Are you talking about the DEATH GRIP TIRE CLEANER,RUBBER by TRINITY [TRI4064] ??
Old 06-03-2002, 06:25 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Jared: roller rubber.....find an old IBM guy, he can hook you up...
Old 06-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Yes Jared...I think thats it. It may not be new but our hobby shop just got it a coulpe weeks ago...so its new to us!! LOL

eric a
Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The rubber roller cleaner and conditioner that sponger and Tres mentioned sounds a lot like pinch roller cleaner. It's some amazing stuff. It can be hard to find, but if there's a good music store in your area that sells recording equipment, you can find it there, under the Tascam brand. Just ask for "Tascam RC-2 Rubber Cleaner". Way back in the early days of electric (1979 or so) we used to get it at stereo shops, it was sold by Teac as a pinch roller conditioner for tape decks.

I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff that the IBM guy gets, but I might just hunt up an IBM guy to check their version out. One thing... this stuff does a have a strong nasty odor. If the smell of Paragon bothers you, this stuff may really offend you.

Trips
Old 06-04-2002, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

I just clean my tires with Simple Green, works well.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
If you let them sit with compound on them (in the heat), you will have one greasy, skating, donut cutting ride! lol
Damn BD, you just described what happened to me in open ALL day Sunday.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trips,
You are absolutley right about the Teac it is what used to be the traction compound to have way back when things were just getting going. As I recall it was banned by most Race Directors not just because of its smell but because in the quantities that RC drivers were using it it was toxic. Its not a problem if all you are doing is using a Q Tip to put a little on a pinch wheel on a tape deck but if you are treating tires several times a meeting then its a problem.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agreee. In fact, calling it "toxic" might not be a strong enough caution. A better description might be "this stuff will eat your soul and leave you in a puddle under the workbench". I remember back in the early 1/12 scale days, when you had a room full of folks using this stuff, after the races the parking lot looked like a scene from "Night of the Living Dead", a bunch of RC Zombies staggering around.

It's also pretty nasty around some plastics... I wouldn't be surprised if it could melt through a graphite tub chassis if it got on there by mistake.

Trips
Old 06-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by Trips
a scene from "Night of the Living Dead", a bunch of RC Zombies staggering around.
LMAO
Old 06-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Okay, so what are the track directors using to spray on to the track surface? Especially concrete. We are currently using cheap strawberry pop, but I am wondering if there is something easier or better to use. I just clean the tires with slightly diluted simple green. Makes the tires slightly tacky.

E

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.