R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-23-2004, 09:55 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just a plain jane hand out motor (chrome can, purple endbell) with some work done to it...

after you learn about motors, there is no reason to buy signature motors.
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by MManson
just a plain jane hand out motor (chrome can, purple endbell) with some work done to it...

Well said............
gearing and practice will make you fast!!
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:30 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

i just find it funny..people think that just because a motor builder puts his sticker on the motor it is better.. they all come from trinity/epic.... all they do is build them the right way. ie ream bushings, cut, brushes and springs... any other tweaking is illegal... re balancing arms is not legal either.. but i have heard some companies do it... stock means stock....

you are better of buying a regular old motor. for around 27 bucks.. buying a set of brushes and springs..5 dollars and having someone show u how to build it... u save 8 bucks off retail...

also... once the motor is rebuilt.. ie after 2-5 runs.. the next rebuild is yours.. you may as well peel the sticker off cause all u did was pay for the first few runs on the tuning...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #34
Tech Master

Anyone running the Integy / Matrix stockers?
Commentspls.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:28 AM   #35
Tech Addict

Any body can give out some tips on tuning a motor? I'm not asking for your secrets but just the basics and we do the tweaking from there.

Thanks,
Roy

Quote:

f2000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 AM   #36
Tech Adept

www.kisbeymodifieds.com

just my 2 cents worth
they go fast, theyre rebuildable, they dont cost an arm and a leg, just like 99% of all stock motors, but id rather my money go to the smaller producer/motor builder, (albeit trinity/epic still get their cut of the profit)
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

I really don't have an opinion about the best stocker, but the worst I've ever used is the EPIC Binary 2 motor. I bought it mainly because of the hype used in the ads I've seen and nothing could be further from the truth. I used it in my 2wd buggy and regardless of changes made to gearing, brushes, springs, ESC settings, etc. the things SUCKS. Later!
2BAD4ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Yeh, I must admit, a guy at our club used them for a few weeks and I think it ended up in pieces against a wall. The thing was a piece of crap, especially compared with all the other runners on the track using Monsters with green/green putnam brushes.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

I think mine is going to end up being used to power my lathe. I paid around $34 for it and what a waste. I guess we all learn from our mistakes!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Talking

I think you should put your efforts in re-building motors and learning what setup is best for your track, buy springs and brushes, shims ect and experment. Just because it says EA or Axiom that don't mean your going to be fast. I learned to build fast motors and I build for my friends, I save a lot of money on buying bulk stock motors and tuning them is the only way your going to learn to make fast motors, just because you spent 34$ on a motor that don't mean your going to be fast.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss

Quote:
just find it funny..people think that just because a motor builder puts his sticker on the motor it is better.. they all come from trinity/epic.... all they do is build them the right way. ie ream bushings, cut, brushes and springs... any other tweaking is illegal... re balancing arms is not legal either.. but i have heard some companies do it... stock means stock....
Yeah, isn't that the point of the stock class, to be able to buy any motor for the same price and be equal with the other guys. I have been running monster stocks right out of the box since they came out. I am just as fast as guys that are running similar batteries than me, there are faster guys who run ballistic batteries but motor doesn't have anything to do with it. As long as your stock motor is working right, you can be competitive with plain out of the box stockers.
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

But if you are not comfortable in your rebuilding skills I think you are wrong. Team Paradigm will not only tune your motor but if you want it re-tuned it only cost $4.00 you just pay for shipping and in usally a week you have a re-tuned motor. Now all the guys say that it is a waste, I dis-agree. Brandon and Matt @ Team Paradigm are not only great customer service providers they also go that extra Mile. They even send you an extra pair of brushes with every motor. And the post about it only last the first few runs is wrong too. The perfectly true comm and polished bushings(not just reamed) and brush-hood alinement don't just wear off like brushed wear out. The whole motor is usally what a non-tuned one retails at your hobby shop anyway so what is so hard to at least give them a shot. I bought there stock motors and since I have gotten into Mod's and Yes I went back to them for my Mod Motor needs. You get more than a pretty label (although their's is prettyLOL) with Team Paradigm. If I were any better of a racer I would look to get sponcered from them. They not only make great motors they back up there work. Give them a call they don't mind and appreciate your business. No I don't work for them and No not sponcered either, just fond of their work.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Quote:

All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Its funny how people think in order to be fast you need "motor" its not true when you are just an "ok" driver. When you become more to a pro level and can control it then yes you want some ponies. Personally if you want a fast motor go with one from a smaller company that takes thier time on motors like Axiom, birdman, team br00d etc. If you buy from Fantom, Trinity, Orion or Reedy all your buying is a mass produced motor, they do the same to each and then dyno it and call it good. I know here at Axiom we turn the comm, align the hoods, zap magnets, polish the bushing, break in brushes, check the spring tesion then dyno the motor and tune from there playing with spring tensions and brush combos. The above is not int the order we do that in either. So I am just saying the smaller companies are trying ot make a name for themselves so they / we take the time to make them right for you. EA, Br00d, Axiom, Birdman etc. should be your top choices as we will give you a super fast reliable motor at a good price. Do a search on each of these names on here and do some research.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:37 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by gijoe64
I think you should put your efforts in re-building motors and learning what setup is best for your track, buy springs and brushes, shims ect and experment. Just because it says EA or Axiom that don't mean your going to be fast. I learned to build fast motors and I build for my friends, I save a lot of money on buying bulk stock motors and tuning them is the only way your going to learn to make fast motors, just because you spent 34$ on a motor that don't mean your going to be fast.

As I stated earlier I have tried to tune it in many ways (different gearing, brushes, springs, ESC settings) and it still sucks. I know most motors can be tuned to a higher performance level, but you can't tune a piece of crap that is designed poorly. I didn't say that spending $34 on a motor would make me fast. I just said that it was a waste. I guess I'll make the best of the situation by swapping the armature for another because I do like the split magnet can and endbell design.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:50 AM   #45
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Want to be fast? PRACTICE! after that worry about batteries and learning how to properly care for them. I would take a setup chassis and a strong pack of 1.18's with an over the counter Monster over the best stock motor out there. To be fast in stock touring you must have the total package and be willing to spend the money to get there. IE ceramic bearings, titanium, etc....you guys who race all know what I mean. This isnt meant to be an advertisement for our sponsors. They do quite well on their own.

and if you have questions either email me or stop by the Surge thread.

[email protected]