R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-25-2004, 10:27 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Default My .02....

Minijosh: Man....I thought I was the only one! I marshalled for six months before I deceided I wanted to get into RC cars.

I went down to my local track, So Cal, stepped over the boards onto the track at exactly 7.00 pm for the first heat. Marshalled every heat until 9:30, then went home.

I did this every week for six months. I also would walk in front of the very tall drivers stand prior to each heat and reach up to the drivers to get their cars to place them down on the track.

One night, as I reached up to get a truck in the Pro Mod Truck class, as I grasped the truck, the driver leaned over the rail and said" We don't know who you are, but every last one of us appreciates the job you do out there". As I looked up, every guy on the stand was nodding. Even though I didn't know anyone there, it totally made my day....the driver was Jim Lavone, and the rest of the drivers were Kinwald, Pavidis, Easton, and other famous names.....ect.

In 2001 I went to the ROAR Stock Off-Road Nationals. I did well and had a good showing. At the awards ceremony, they announced they had a new award, due to something they had seen that week. They made a "Stock Nationals Turn Marshal Award". They explained that they had looked all week for a guy named Peterson, but couldn't find him on the list of drivers. Said the guy was a phenominal marshal. Turned out that the Peterson name came from the camo shorts the guy was wearing, the name was stenciled on the back pocket. The shorts were worn by me, and the award floored me.

I have been in RC for 13 years now, and I am friends with/familiar with most all of the west coast pros. Needless to say, there have been some great benifits to me because of this. But it is not because I'm a great driver. It is because of my attitude towards the sport and turn marshalling in particular.

I have only seen one marshal who I thought I played second fiddle to, Jason Corol, Team Losi driver. He does have youth over me though, I'm 49.

Take turn marshalling as serious as you would like someone else to do for you if you were winning the Nationals. Do it the same for the novice as you would for the pro.

A good marshal has good friends. My .02.

Lee Caldwell - ROAR 2001 Stock Nationals Turnmarshal # 1.
So Cal Raceway

My secret: I pay attention to the race, know where the leader is at all times, and work just as hard to stay out of the way as I do to get to the crashed cars.

Last edited by Graphitedust; 11-25-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Graphitedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

I did this as well, but not for 6 months. Just for a couple weeks.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ya know. I initially had some small reservations about posting this.

From all the positive input from you guys (and gals?), I know that I am in the right hobby/sport.

As Graphitedust says above "A good marshal has good friends". So true.

Many thanks all.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trust me, this topic is important to everyone. At the Cactus Classic one year, they asked for volunteer marshals for the pro races (triple A mains). I volunteered, and took up a place downstream from a big triple jump, which placed me in front of the drivers stand, under the drivers.

I then overheard a conversation amongst the Pro's about which guys were good marshals and who they wanted! These guys literally hand-picked the guys to marshal! And they had the announcer dismiss several guys altogether, based on their marshal skills!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
Ya know. I initially had some small reservations about posting this.

From all the positive input from you guys (and gals?), I know that I am in the right hobby/sport.

As Graphitedust says above "A good marshal has good friends". So true.

Many thanks all.
Graphitedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Marshall Mathers

Good information here for anyone who does not have a good type of article to post at the track or on any r/c racing website. I am putting this in mine as I see as a benefit for anyone who reads it, well done!!