Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New CRC Gen Xi 12th car..... >

New CRC Gen Xi 12th car.....

New CRC Gen Xi 12th car.....

Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

When I spoke with CRC at the meet and greet they said they were going back to the normal chassis because of the controversy. Something about ROAR rules saying the cars must take a standard pack in any mounting configuration to be legal...bunch of crap if you ask me because the car can still take a standard pack...just not in the in-line location. Anyway did the CRC guys go back to running them in the quals and mains? I hope so...it sure is a cool chassis.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cowarn
Actually, I saw this car in action at the IIC. Was very fast, I wasn't keeping up. Also...it accepts standard 1s lipos AS WELL AS the shorty that was mentioned.

Just an FYI.

Neil H
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. A 4200 shorty pack is not high enough capacity for 10.5, it would drop off too much in a run. In a year's time technology will have moved on and it will almost certainly be possible to get a shorty pack with 5000 or more. In the UK cells are approved on a yearly basis and no shorty packs are approved for this season, so we would have to wait until next year to run the packs anyway.

Because of this we would not be able to run shorty packs in the UK for the coming season, and would have to run standard packs. As far as I can see it is not possible to run standard packs in an inline configuration, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. Because of this we would have to use standard configuration.

Trev
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Standard pack goes crosswise in the normal mounting position.
I know that, but the other guy said the standard pack could also go inline. I just don't see how to do that.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

is crc still making inline chassis kit for regular 1s?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I know that, but the other guy said the standard pack could also go inline. I just don't see how to do that.

Just kidding ...lol
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlealex
is crc still making inline chassis kit for regular 1s?
we'll have to see if the Roar thing is an issue but I know Frank went with this option because it was the better design and I would think that most cars are sold for the 17.5 13.5 market then the mod or 10.5 market. I would be courious to know the intended buyers. me personally I don't think that my Gen-XL could handle any better then I can drive (Ficco said I was a savage driving ) with the normal full 1s configeration. but I will have a car on order when it comes out.

Originally Posted by Monkeys punk
It probably wont make my driving any quicker or better than with the XL but boy I want it.
Does anyone know if the upgrade will come out the same time as the full kit ?
frank told me he hopes to have full kits first part of november or earlier for sale. and then a couple weeks later upgrade kits. he did tell me that the 1/8" axles would be coming with the new full kit.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When I spoke with CRC at the meet and greet they said they were going back to the normal chassis because of the controversy. Something about ROAR rules saying the cars must take a standard pack in any mounting configuration to be legal...bunch of crap if you ask me because the car can still take a standard pack...just not in the in-line location. Anyway did the CRC guys go back to running them in the quals and mains? I hope so...it sure is a cool chassis.
ROAR does prohibit any proto-type or non production/available product in Stock.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
. he did tell me that the 1/8" axles would be coming with the new full kit.
Will this help with bearing blowing out issue? I blew two bearings tonight and then was told the only way to stop it is to put a Associated front end on it. Seems like I bought a brand new car with a design flaw. ?? Is bearings an issue with the CRC Gen XL?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

It should...the 3/16 X 5/16 bearing is a lot more fragile than the 1/8 X 5/16.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bearings only blow out with a massive hit. But yes, you will be able to crush the wall harder with 1/8" axle bearings.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I haven't had any more problems with the 3/16 vs the 1/8 bearings. I can see on paper how the smaller ID bearings would perhaps be more robust, but I just haven't had bad luck with the current sized bearings.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

As Dumper always says...Quit hittin' s#*t!

But, for those that do, CRC now has parts that can take a lickin'...and keep on tickin'.

Mod drivers exempted.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I haven't had any more problems with the 3/16 vs the 1/8 bearings. I can see on paper how the smaller ID bearings would perhaps be more robust, but I just haven't had bad luck with the current sized bearings.
How you doing kiddo?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi gang,

Just a couple clarifications on the IIC event and the new Gen-Xi...

All the guys used the new Gen-Xi chassis, not the "normal" XL chassis. The standard 1s pack was used for this race.

The IIC does not strictly adhere to ROAR rules and there is not a rule that says a car must accept a standard pack. The pack rules are "max" dimension and much like the short 2s Losi 22 battery, this is a short 1s pack and works great for 17.5 and 13.5. The "true inline" configuration only works with the 1s shorty pack.

The standard 1s fits across in the "normal" configuration and is adjustable front to back more than .5 inches giving the Gen-Xi more adjustable weight bias than any other chassis design. On the contrary, this is a major limitation to the current rage of side placement cells as the weight bias is not adjustable front to back. The cell simply takes up the entire side of the car leaving little room to move it. If the track and grip level dictates more rear or front weight, there is no adjustability with the side placement pack design.

Even in the standard cross pack placement configuration, like the older Gen-XL, the Xi has been design to accept the speedo inline behind the servo giving the Gen-Xi a centralized weight mass. Inline centralized mass has been part of the CRC design since the XL and is now even more focused with the 1s shorty pack. However, if one truly desires, a standard 1s pack can be placed front to back with the electronics on the side.

The Gen-Xi was T.Q. and winner of the IIC 1:12th 17.5 class in the hands of Kenny Lambert. Two other Gen-Xi cars joined Kenny in the A-final. In the 13.5 class, the Gen-Xi led all but 2 laps of the A-main finishing second. A small crash in the final seconds cost the new CRC ride the win but still a solid second.

Regarding the new steering block + front axle... this block does more than just bring the more durable 1/8 x 5/16th bearings into the design. With this steering block, the kingpin threads into plastic. The plastic is much more forgiving than the aluminum insert axle, allowing the kingpin to survive larger, major impacts with no failure. In the end, a more forgiving and durable front end with no comprimise in performance.

Look for the new car, battery and steering blocks and to be available around Nov 1, 2011 with a street price for an entire car kit (not just a conversion) for under $200.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Hey Frank,

That's good to hear...At the meet and greet I had heard otherwise and I thought it was crap that such stupid controversy would cause problems but did not get a chance to check back later to see if things had changed. I'm glad they did. Change is necessary for the hobby to grow! I'm glad the XIs ran the rest of the week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.