R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which Radio for 1:18 Scale Xray M18? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/55728-radio-1-18-scale-xray-m18.html)

one_leg_greg 11-23-2004 05:00 AM

Which Radio for 1:18 Scale Xray M18?

Can somebody give me a suggestion on a relatively inexpensive radio set up for my newly purchased Xray M18? Also, Can I use a servo similar in size to the HiTec HS55 for the steering servo. I was also thinking a Spy Mini ESC? I welcome any input you can provide. Thanks!

O_L_G

John Fontaine 11-23-2004 05:51 AM

Ya know, any radio will work. From the cheapest AM radio to the highest priced FM radio. That's the good thing about the M18, it doesn't need all the fancy bells and whistles like racing Touring cars or trucks.

I have the Novak SPY in my M18 with a small Futaba receiver and Hitek MG81 servo and it's perfect. The HS55 servo is too small for the M18 and would break easily since it's plastic gears and there is no servo saver. I would suggest the 81 or 85MG servo by hitec.

Hope this helps.

John

one_leg_greg 11-28-2004 07:42 AM

Radio, Receiver and Servo Help!!!!!!

Thanks John. How do I know whether the Mini Spy ESC will work with which radio? Do I buy a radio only and then add my Novak Spy ESC and Hitec 81MG servo? Can you get sort of speciif as to which radio will work with which reciever, servo, ESC? I'm sort of naive when it comes to radio stuff. Thanks!

-O_L_G

duneland 11-28-2004 12:26 PM

The ESC will work with any radio.
spy has recently bean updated, we had plenty of them blow up before the update. Xray 300 esc works well.
Receiver must be compatible with trans. For an inexpensive set-up the futaba 2pl computer radio is tough to beat.
Go for the Futaba S3101 servo...Smoother and more accurate than the Hitec. We have had lots of cetering issues with the Hitecs. Also recomend HPI micro servo saver. It is a must with either plastic or metal geared servos.
Best esc to run is LRP quatum sport. It is a 1/10 esc capable of handleing anything you can put in there without breaking a sweat.
Have fun! We race them every Sat. and have a ball. Very tough with great handling...

one_leg_greg 11-28-2004 04:15 PM

Radio, Servo, ESC Help!!!

So when I buy the radio do I essentially not use the servo that comes with it and but the mini servo ala carte or can I buy the radio and tell them which servo I want. I'm planning on using Tower Hobbies? Got any suggestions? I'd like a little cheaper radio than the Futaba 2PL. Thanks!

O_L_G

duneland 11-29-2004 09:37 AM

2pl is only $69.99! Don't recomend anything less. Gotta buy the servo seperately...25-30 bucks.

one_leg_greg 12-01-2004 04:34 AM

New 'Tronics

I did it!!!!!! I bought the Futaba 2PL, Novak Spy ESC, and the Futaba S3101 Servo. Can't wait to inst'l my 'tronics. I got my M18 almost together. That thing is KEWL! Thanks fellas for tha advice!

-O_L_G

John Fontaine 12-01-2004 10:40 AM

Cool - Good luck. Now you'll just have to figure out what batteries and motor you want :)