R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #1051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey

Ok guys i have played some more with my CM.

It seems to peak the cells very cool, like 32-34 degrees, is that right? it seem aweful low to me.

Also, my T35 peak is .03 which is 30mv right? so 06 on my cm seems very low to me being .006

Anyways so far i like the charger, just not sure on temps, the cells are IB.

Glenn
Mr-s413bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #1052
Tech Regular

Remember that T35 peak setting is per cell,
Much More CM is for the whole pack

0.03 on the T35 is equal to 18 on the CM unit.

Try to increase the peak on you cm to 10 and see the temp increase.
stikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #1053
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquexme
after reading the nexus site, only then i realise the thermometer probe is to be placed at the cooling fan stand, and not to the battery directly.

No sir, temperature probe should be placed directly on the cell!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #1054
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman
Remember that T35 peak setting is per cell,
Much More CM is for the whole pack

0.03 on the T35 is equal to 18 on the CM unit.

Try to increase the peak on you cm to 10 and see the temp increase.
The T35 also uses delta peak for the whole pack. 0.03V on the T35 equals a "30" setting on the CM (CM's setting is 0.0##V), but this is usually too high for the CM.
As the battery reaches its peak voltage (before dropoff), a battery charged with the CM is usally hotter in temperature. Batteries charged on conventional chargers gain heat from high delta peaks occurring over longer periods of time. With the CM, the temperature and power has been generated during charge, and high/extended delta peaks are not neccessary. The actual time lapse of the delta peak on the CM is also very short on the CM compared to conventional chargers. The voltage will decrease constantly rather than fluctuate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-s413bt
Hey

Ok guys i have played some more with my CM.

It seems to peak the cells very cool, like 32-34 degrees, is that right? it seem aweful low to me.

Also, my T35 peak is .03 which is 30mv right? so 06 on my cm seems very low to me being .006

Anyways so far i like the charger, just not sure on temps, the cells are IB.

Glenn
Please read info above for delta peak info.

32-34 degrees is definitely not optimal for racing.
06 usually seems to be a very good setting for most conditions, though. Can you provide information on your ambient conditions (indoors or outdoors, temperature, etc)? If charging in cooler conditions without battery warming, sometimes a battery may need higher delta peaks to compensate. Also, are you sure the batteries are fully peaking? How many mAH do they reach during charge?

I charged several packs in a 78 deg F ambient temp today (shaded) with 06 delta peak setting, and all batteries reached at least 44 deg C on the CM.

More info on CM delta peak here:
http://nexusracing.net/newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=29
http://much-more.co.kr/tech_talk.asp <---new MMR Tech Talk Section
Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #1055
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

You used only 6 delta peak?? Ryan suggested to use 24, SMC also the same and Adashi (Much More and SMC sponsored) was using 24 at the recent warmup.

Based on that I also use 24 (30 for colder days ) for my IB4200. Am I overdoing it?

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #1056
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

have been using 3mv all these while since i got my CM. However, only recently i realised that if false peak, have to set higher mv. so today i use 6mv and it has proved to correct the false peak by finish charging at 3910mah when i charge at 3600mah battery. i think will increase a little bit more to 7mv.

guys, this noon i just found out that the charging profile for my Tx AA battery has been incorrect, coz i set 6 cells instead of 8cells, but already charged, it is ok? is my battery damaged?
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #1057
Tech Initiate

Ok so to get this right. People are using 6mv on the CM rather than 3mv like on most other top end chargers due to the greater accuracy of the CM peak detection. (and thats setting as per the front screen on CM when you start charge which is per cell i believe as think people are getting confused between pack and cell peak figure)

Just wanna make sure as I've never used a peak detect this high on ANY charger ( and i've had a few ) and know friends that when they have used 5mv and higher ended up with fried cells !!!
speedfreakUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #1058
Tech Adept

charging the TX cells in 6 cell will get the battery to cut off eailrier, so it would been under charged. it won't be good for your battery but didn't horribly damaged your battery. so don't worry about it

thanks

james

Quote:
have been using 3mv all these while since i got my CM. However, only recently i realised that if false peak, have to set higher mv. so today i use 6mv and it has proved to correct the false peak by finish charging at 3910mah when i charge at 3600mah battery. i think will increase a little bit more to 7mv.

guys, this noon i just found out that the charging profile for my Tx AA battery has been incorrect, coz i set 6 cells instead of 8cells, but already charged, it is ok? is my battery damaged?
TeamMuchMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #1059
Tech Adept

no, you are not harming the battery, when it is very hot you can get away with 6 delta peak or lower, when it's gets colder you can increase delta peak. higher delta peak will increase your battery temperature which means more performance out of your battery in most cases, unless overcharged by a lot.

let say you charge your battery at 24 delta peak when weather is very hot and when you finish your charge the battery gets really hot. then you should lower your delta peak setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnick
You used only 6 delta peak?? Ryan suggested to use 24, SMC also the same and Adashi (Much More and SMC sponsored) was using 24 at the recent warmup.

Based on that I also use 24 (30 for colder days ) for my IB4200. Am I overdoing it?

Nick
TeamMuchMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #1060
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreakUK
Ok so to get this right. People are using 6mv on the CM rather than 3mv like on most other top end chargers due to the greater accuracy of the CM peak detection. (and thats setting as per the front screen on CM when you start charge which is per cell i believe as think people are getting confused between pack and cell peak figure)

Just wanna make sure as I've never used a peak detect this high on ANY charger ( and i've had a few ) and know friends that when they have used 5mv and higher ended up with fried cells !!!
It seems you are a little confused on a couple of things. On most chargers, you will not use 3mV, you will use 30mV. 30mV is 30/1000th of a volt. On the CM, it is very typical to use below 10mV, hence the 6mV setting. Your friends must have used a 50mV setting, not a 5mV setting.

6mV = 0.006V = 6/1000 V
30mV = 0.030V = 30/1000 V

CM's delta peak setting is indeed for the whole pack.

In cool temperatures, either charging accessories may be used or you can increase the delta peak. Using charging accessories to change the charging environment is best for the batteries.

Like TeamMuchMore said, sometimes a setting like 24 can work well, sometimes not. I have seen people here in the Southeast USA input a 30 setting during warm weather and get nothing but temperature cuts...their delta peak was too high for the conditions (and they were not using any battery cooling such as heatsink or other).

Yesterday, I charged several batteries in a shaded 77deg F ambient temp with an 06-07 setting, and all the batteries reached at least 44 deg C (~111 deg F).
Old 05-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #1061
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Random question... for the newer style (with magnet) temp probe on the Cell Master, does it matter which way you attach the temp probe to the pack? Looking to find out if there's a top or bottom to the temp probe, or if you can put it on the pack either way with the same results.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #1062
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme

would also like to know on the placement of temperature probe coz i saw in nexus site that they place it on the cooling fan stand. coz i have DIY a cooling fan stand as well, but powered tru the power supply, not tru CM. so how would it be able to cut off the fan when it reach certain temperature. the reason that i didn't power up using CM is that i tried connecting the 12VDC fan to the right sided slot on the CM, but it doesnt want to run. can it be due to the fact that i didn't set the fan start temperature that cause the power slot to be turned off?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #1063
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
would also like to know on the placement of temperature probe coz i saw in nexus site that they place it on the cooling fan stand. coz i have DIY a cooling fan stand as well, but powered tru the power supply, not tru CM. so how would it be able to cut off the fan when it reach certain temperature. the reason that i didn't power up using CM is that i tried connecting the 12VDC fan to the right sided slot on the CM, but it doesnt want to run. can it be due to the fact that i didn't set the fan start temperature that cause the power slot to be turned off?
You must be mistaken. We do not recommend or even mention placing the temp probe on the fan stand anywhere on our website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasagnacat
Random question... for the newer style (with magnet) temp probe on the Cell Master, does it matter which way you attach the temp probe to the pack? Looking to find out if there's a top or bottom to the temp probe, or if you can put it on the pack either way with the same results.
The flat side of the temp probe should have contact with the cell .
Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #1064
Tech Fanatic

oops, sorry my mistake, but i think i saw there are some photos where the temperature probe was placed on the muchmore cooling stand, so that it can auto cut off the fan at the desired temperature setting. anyway it might most prob be my mistake. sooorry all.....
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #1065
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ryan/James - How come you guys didn't have a booth at this year's RCX show. Last year it was great seeing you guys represent. I was looking to see some of the new items on display.
Tony Vega is offline   Reply With Quote