R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #976
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Okay need a little help here. So I've had my Cell Masters for under a month now and on one of them it would every now and again stop charging immediately after I start the charge and display a message saying "ERR 0001 *OVER VOT* I could sometimes power cycle it and it would be fine, charge that is. Now everytime I start a charge it displays that same message. I attached a pic of the error message from a session a couple days ago. Any thoughts? Thanks!

OVER VOT - is stands for Over voltage error.
If output voltage goes over input voltage, CM makes Over volt error.

Here's some tips for charge of 8cells.

1.set input voltage higher.
2.Discharge batteries before charge. (1A 0.1V cut in Dischage mode)
3.set lower charge amp. (0.5~0.8A)

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #977
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lee
OVER VOT - is stands for Over voltage error.
If output voltage goes over input voltage, CM makes Over volt error.

Here's some tips for charge of 8cells.

1.set input voltage higher.
2.Discharge batteries before charge. (1A 0.1V cut in Dischage mode)
3.set lower charge amp. (0.5~0.8A)

Thanks,

Ryan
I'm only charging 6 Cells. I always equalize my packs on my CTX-D down to .9 before I charge. Charging at 5.5A.
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #978
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
I'm only charging 6 Cells. I always equalize my packs on my CTX-D down to .9 before I charge. Charging at 5.5A.
I will talk to engineer tomorrow then let u know what the problem is.

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #979
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lee
If you charge 8cells at 5amp, out put voltage will exceed input voltage. so Cell master will make OVER VOLTAGE error "OVER VOT" on the display.

8cell charging by the CM is for 8cell(0.5~1.0A) transmitter batteries.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for your honest reply Ryan, so basically since "CM 8-cell charging is for transmitter batteries" I can never get a maximized "racing" charge for my monster truck's 8-cell Intellect 4200s. Too bad for me then, time to sell my newly bought CM.
mudguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #980
Tech Regular

i charge my 8cell tx batteries at a bit under 1amp.... and set a high delta peak like 15mv. i have no problems and my PS is only 12.5v
BringItOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #981
Tech Apprentice

rumours

hey guys ! heard some rumours bout a new version of ctx-c is coming out in april...got new features in it.....anybody out there got any info bout it....?
weel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #982
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by weel
hey guys ! heard some rumours bout a new version of ctx-c is coming out in april...got new features in it.....anybody out there got any info bout it....?
MuchMore is set to release two new chargers very soon...but neither of these is intended to replace the Cell Master.
One will be a specialized Lipo-only charger, and the other will be a charger apparantly ideal for nitro racing (Lipo, receiver pack, starter box, dual charging, etc).
Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #983
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

Is there any one other than Andrew that I can contact at MMUSA? I understand he is at nats and I need to find out the tracking info on a replacement that was sent to me on 3/7.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 AM   #984
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to treecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
MuchMore is set to release two new chargers very soon...but neither of these is intended to replace the Cell Master.
One will be a specialized Lipo-only charger, and the other will be a charger apparantly ideal for nitro racing (Lipo, receiver pack, starter box, dual charging, etc).
Here's just some suggestions,

I would like to see a charger from MMR that can charge 1-12 cells at full current ratings because we are a group of robotic-hobbyist and we sometimes uses 12 cells battery packs. Or perhaps is it possible to flash the current cell master with a new firmware so that it can charge higher cell count battery pack?(now sure if that is possible without changes in components)
I own a cell master myself and i love it so the ball is in your court guys..
treecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #985
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudguard
Thanks for your honest reply Ryan, so basically since "CM 8-cell charging is for transmitter batteries" I can never get a maximized "racing" charge for my monster truck's 8-cell Intellect 4200s. Too bad for me then, time to sell my newly bought CM.

I dont know of many (any really) chargers that can do 8 cells at a high rate of charge on a standard 12-13VDC source w/o some sort of issue. My suggestion, if you really dont want to sell the charger, is to split the pack into two four cell packs... and charge them separately. You really dont even have to split them up, if you are using battery bars to hold your cells together, then you can just clip onto the battery bar in the middle of the pack, orient +/- accordingly to which end of the pack you start charging, adjust the CM for 4 cell, and charge away. After one side of the pack is done, switch the leads up for the other side observing polarity, and charge the second side of the pack. Its a little bit of an inconvenience, but it could keep you from losing $$$ by selling your new charger as a used item. The CM is a great charger for your IB4200's, and will ensure long life/great power from your cells.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #986
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The futaba cdr-5000 is supposed to be able to charge between 1-36 cells. I charged 8 AA's and your normal 6 cell sub-c packs. I understood that this is to handle some speciality packs that you may find in drag racing. I'm not sure how they handle the voltage issue.

BTW I have this charger and 2 cell masters.
deforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #987
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudguard
let me know if you want to sell. i will buy

if you want to charge 8cell packs at such a high rate, you really need a charger that does up to 10cells or even more.

also have you tried putting the charge rate down a little bit? maybe to 5.0amps? or 4.5amps. that should be sufficient. otherwise it may be easier to get a PS that can be set to 15v.
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #988
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deforest
The futaba cdr-5000 is supposed to be able to charge between 1-36 cells. I charged 8 AA's and your normal 6 cell sub-c packs. I understood that this is to handle some speciality packs that you may find in drag racing. I'm not sure how they handle the voltage issue.

BTW I have this charger and 2 cell masters.
You are correct, it's able to charge TX packs w/o a problem

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #989
Tech Rookie

Default re-oil the fan bearings

Need I to re-oil the bearings of the two fans in this charger?
Or other maintenance required?
gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #990
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default CTX

Thanks for your input DaveW will look into it. So far what I discovered was to step charge my 8-cell pack at 6 amps till 2500mah, then 3 amps till 3500 and 1.8 amps till 4300. Seems to be okay until it "peak cuts." Thanks for the advise and offer noobie I live in Manila so am not sure selling it to you will be "cheap"
mudguard is offline   Reply With Quote