Team Much-More cell master v1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks Nexus.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Any news on the new CT software up grades for the Cell master?

Thanks,
~LA
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Nexus,
thanks for the info
i wasnt aware the lower price was an overseas price.

I tried to go back and read and see if there were any issues with old software. It didnt seem there were any issues.
Is the unit you sell currently upgraded with new software or does MuchMore not do upgrades?

I just hate when people release chargers and they can't charge shorted packs or have a motor run in feature that wont go over 10 amps cause of a software glitch, etc
Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Nexus,
Has anyone used Cell Master for Oval racing. I wonder if the straight linear charge or a step charge would be more appropriate. Right now everybody pretty much uses linear still.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by erock1331
Nexus,
thanks for the info
i wasnt aware the lower price was an overseas price.

I tried to go back and read and see if there were any issues with old software. It didnt seem there were any issues.
Is the unit you sell currently upgraded with new software or does MuchMore not do upgrades?

I just hate when people release chargers and they can't charge shorted packs or have a motor run in feature that wont go over 10 amps cause of a software glitch, etc
Originally Posted by erock1331
Nexus,
Has anyone used Cell Master for Oval racing. I wonder if the straight linear charge or a step charge would be more appropriate. Right now everybody pretty much uses linear still.
There is only one version of the CM out there. I think it confuses a lot of people that they put v1.0 in the title. As far as charging goes, I'm not sure what more people could want.
Aside from charging, I know that some would like a higher discharge rate or a motor run-in feature. MuchMore seems to like to specialize some of these features into different units...such as motor master, upcoming CTX-D. It allows them to go above and beyond with every feature, and allow the racer to use the different features all at the same time.

erock1331, I recall selling 1 or 2 chargers to someone who raced oval exclusively. His reason was that a fast local (also oval) driver switched to it and really liked it. He made sure that we gave him a few starting CTX profiles along with the charger (this was before we had them posted on our site).

Most still do not step charge in on-road now, either...it is mostly those with the CM. The CM seems to have the right technology to get the positive benefits from step-charging without sacrificing anything. The super linear current combined with step-charging yields better power and run time.

The most notable differences I feel when I CTX charge are 1) less drop-off at the end of a race and 2) more overall run-time. When I first started using the charger...the same packs I was dumping with the week before (in mod) suddenly started to easily make time. Those were 3300 packs with the Surikarn Modified profile. Even when running 19t, I gain the couple of tenths back that I used to lose at the end of a race.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there any suggested step charging profile for GP3700?

Thank you

Nick
Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nnick
Is there any suggested step charging profile for GP3700?

Thank you

Nick
The IB3800 profiles here work well on the GP3700. Michael from ThunderRC did some good back to back testing to show this.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Is there any tips I should know before I use my new Cell Master?

I'll be charging 3300 and 3800s. I plan on using the profiles from Nexus.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have noticed that most of the ctx settings start with 7amps (except for warm/hot weather conditions... any reason to this?

what if my pack cools down already or has been sitting for more than 1 hour already, whats the best re-peak voltage? 4amps? 5amps? or 7amps?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
It has been mentioned that a standard linear charge usually gives the best performance in NiCds. We have not tried the CM with NiCds at all.

This doesn't mean it's not worth trying a CTX profile, though...
------------
Hi Nexus,

I am trying to charge (3~5Amps) my dead shorted NEW 1700 Panasonic P170SCR SP (NiCad) with the Linear (peak) charge of CM and it keeps terminating prematurely...it only last up to 10-15 secs then ends... *PEAK CUT* message. Read the manual and says it happens with dead shorted bats, setting the delta peak higher will help so I tried from 3 to 20 and still same...and LLO will cure it, what does this LLO actually do? I know it will show the 'key symbol but how do i know if it actually working?

Any ideas what to do, anyone please?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by highwayman
i have noticed that most of the ctx settings start with 7amps (except for warm/hot weather conditions... any reason to this?

what if my pack cools down already or has been sitting for more than 1 hour already, whats the best re-peak voltage? 4amps? 5amps? or 7amps?
7A is a good starting amp rate for most conditions because this enables you to put maximum "power" into the pack initially without overheating or damaging the cells.
Using 7A all the way through can generate too much heat, as well as cause too much power dropoff on the track late in a race. The CTX charging mode can kind of give you the best of both worlds, where you can fully take advantage of using high and low charging rates.
In very high heat conditions, 7A can generate too much heat too early...using the heatsinks or cooling fan stands reduce this effect.

I usually use a "peak charge" mode just for repeaking.
Usually, I will repeak around 5.5A with the same delta peak cutoff as I charged with...but, if the pack has been sitting, I will sometimes up the amp rate and/or delta peak. I have used 6.0 and 7.0 amps for repeak before, with anywhere from an 06-10 cutoff. It still doesn't overcharge, because these are still lower cutoff settings than other charges can use. If the pack doesn't feel like it has gotten up to temperature, I will sometimes start the repeak over again (maybe up-ing the settings).
Old 09-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edgarski
------------
Hi Nexus,

I am trying to charge (3~5Amps) my dead shorted NEW 1700 Panasonic P170SCR SP (NiCad) with the Linear (peak) charge of CM and it keeps terminating prematurely...it only last up to 10-15 secs then ends... *PEAK CUT* message. Read the manual and says it happens with dead shorted bats, setting the delta peak higher will help so I tried from 3 to 20 and still same...and LLO will cure it, what does this LLO actually do? I know it will show the 'key symbol but how do i know if it actually working?

Any ideas what to do, anyone please?
Any time you are using a dead-shorted pack in the "Peak Charge" mode, you will want to set the LLO (long lockout for those who don't know). What this does is lock the charger from delta peak cutoff for a set amount of time (in minutes. The charger will still peak on temperature or capacity, though. If you see the key symbol, you can be sure it is set.

Dead-shorted packs cause a lot of voltage fluctuation early in the charge. The spot welding technique used to build stick packs also causes more voltage fluctuation (more resistance than with solder and battery bars).

CTX charge has an automatic lockout built into it...the charger is locked against delta peak cutoffs in the first two of the three phases. You can set up a linear CTX charge mode if you wish...this allows you to set the lockout based on mAH instead of time. For exampleagain, this is optional):

1700mAH stick pack:
Step 1: 6.0A 1000mAH (charger will lock against delta peak)
Step 2: 6.0A 1300mAH (charger will lock against delta peak)
Step 3: 6.0A 2200mAH (charger will not lock against delta peak)

Sorry if I over-explained this..hope this helps .
Old 09-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Any time you are using a dead-shorted pack in the "Peak Charge" mode, you will want to set the LLO (long lockout for those who don't know). What this does is lock the charger from delta peak cutoff for a set amount of time (in minutes. The charger will still peak on temperature or capacity, though. If you see the key symbol, you can be sure it is set.

Dead-shorted packs cause a lot of voltage fluctuation early in the charge. The spot welding technique used to build stick packs also causes more voltage fluctuation (more resistance than with solder and battery bars).

CTX charge has an automatic lockout built into it...the charger is locked against delta peak cutoffs in the first two of the three phases. You can set up a linear CTX charge mode if you wish...this allows you to set the lockout based on mAH instead of time. For exampleagain, this is optional):

1700mAH stick pack:
Step 1: 6.0A 1000mAH (charger will lock against delta peak)
Step 2: 6.0A 1300mAH (charger will lock against delta peak)
Step 3: 6.0A 2200mAH (charger will not lock against delta peak)

Sorry if I over-explained this..hope this helps .
Thanks for your prompt reply Nexus.
Where does the LLO kicks in, at the start of charging or somewhere inbetween charging ? Sorry I am very new with Cell Master..
What is the ideal LLO in my case 1700 Panasonic Nicad?

I have tried the CTX charge using this:

* Discharged @ 10amps 5.4V cut off using Cell Master* then ..

Step 1: 1000mAh @ 7amps
Step 2: 1200mAh @ .03 amps
Step 3: 2200mAh @ 5amps

no dramas with peak cut off but...
this charges my stick but doesn't reach the full capacity of 1700..only up to 1500-1600..and after charging my stick pack is cold, only very very slight warmness...a well charge battery should have at least warm in temperature, am i right? meaning my stick is not being charge properly using the CTX.

BTW, I have read again last months car action articel about 'golden rule with batteries'...Set Delta Peak @ 10mv/cell so that is 60mv/6 cell for Nicads, is this OK for Cell Master ?

Thanks once again

Last edited by Edgarski; 09-25-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edgarski
Thanks for your prompt reply Nexus.
Where does the LLO kicks in, at the start of charging or somewhere inbetween charging ? Sorry I am very new with Cell Master..
What is the ideal LLO in my case 1700 Panasonic Nicad?

I have tried the CTX charge using this:

* Discharged @ 10amps 5.4V cut off using Cell Master* then ..

Step 1: 1000mAh @ 7amps
Step 2: 1200mAh @ .03 amps
Step 3: 2200mAh @ 5amps

no dramas with peak cut off but...
this charges my stick but doesn't reach the full capacity of 1700..only up to 1500-1600..and after charging my stick pack is cold, only very very slight warmness...a well charge battery should have at least warm in temperature, am i right? meaning my stick is not being charge properly using the CTX.

BTW, I have read again last months car action articel about 'golden rule with batteries'...Set Delta Peak @ 10mv/cell so that is 60mv/6 cell for Nicads, is this OK for Cell Master ?

Thanks once again
LLO works at the beginning of charge...I would start with 10min.

The battery should be hot at the end of charge. A NiCD requires a higher delta peak setting...but you cannot rely on the information from the magazine (because the CM is different from other chargers). The CM's delta peak setting is for the entire pack, but requires lower settings than other chargers.
I would start with a setting of "10" (=10mV for PACK). Increase it if the pack still does not get hot enough. I have never charged a NiCD with my charger, but this should be a good starting point.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

LLO works at the beginning of charge...I would start with 10min.

The battery should be hot at the end of charge. A NiCD requires a higher delta peak setting...but you cannot rely on the information from the magazine (because the CM is different from other chargers). The CM's delta peak setting is for the entire pack, but requires lower settings than other chargers.
I would start with a setting of "10" (=10mV for PACK). Increase it if the pack still does not get hot enough. I have never charged a NiCD with my charger, but this should be a good starting point.
Ok Thanks. I'll try the LLO again tonite. Let you know if there's any luck.
Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.