Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie with Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie with Q's

Hi Guys,

Having been away from the sport for ages i'm feeling the urge to get back into it.
I had an old losi xxxs sport that died after a year or so, then I bought a hobao 7.5 buggy and finally hotted up a mugen mbx5r.
I'm currently stuck on what kit to choose.
I'm not a bad driver, a bit rusty after a few years but it wouldnt take me long I dont think to get back into it.
I'm currently looking at the S411, the T3 2011 or 2012 if it comes out before I make a choice or the TC6.
I like the serpent as its a bit of underdog and a bit different.
The T3 as i love bling and well engineered stuff.
The tc6 as it seems to be the best all rounder and alot cheaper.
I'm leaning towards to the T3 but if I go the tc6 or s411 it gives me some extra cash to spend on a motor and esc combo.
They all seem to have their issues and plusses and after reading the forum comments on them it seems all much of a much.
I'm putting it out there incase i've missed something so what would you guys recommend and why?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You forgot to add the Awesomatix to that list . It is shaft, no heavy maintenance, innovative like no other , and a proven winner even without a big team behind it ....
Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i looked to see what others were running at my track to make sure i could get setup help if needed.(tc5 & 6 & photons). then looked at my lhs to see what parts were easily available.i ended up with a photon, but most likely would have been happy with any of them.....
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks palmer, the local guys have serpent and xray. The lhs is nt well stocked and i would be better off getting parts online than paying the ridiculously over nflated 400% markup they have on premium ordered items.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

+1 for the photon its cheap strong and the best car I have owned
Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Initiate

bertrand saw the awesomatrix thread, thought you were full of crap when you said the name, thats about as bling as bling gets I reckon! Bit out of my price range though.
Spent the afternoon going through the threads again and it seems the serpent stuff has the least amount of build issues and the addition of metal shocks with the option of ball and gear diff seems to be a bonus.
The photon looks cool bpalmer and jsin.
Some of the guys are also running schumacher Mi4s ? I found RAB hobbies on the mainland that sells the serpent cheaper than overseas plus postage and the parts support is spot on with express post, so I think i'm sold.
Yet to be decided so if anyone else wants to chime in with some words of wisdom feel free.
Thanks too for those who have replied
Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My personal experience is I love my T3'11. When I got back into the hobby-sport () after about a decade break the T3 was recommended to me by multiple people at the local track, and it's been a very durable and capable vehicle. There are many other very nice TCs though, including the TOP, TC6, and Tamiya. They are all very good cars.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

When you're a newbie, you have to understand that most experienced racers will tell you to buy what they are currently running, while they have their eyes on the next best thing to come (xray t3 2012, Awesomatix, etc....) . I just wanted to make sure newbies knew about these new cars to come before they commit to buying yesterday's kit !!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks bertrand, its much appreciated!
Thats why i'm still holding off, serpent have just released V2 of their kit which is great, and although the t3'12 will be out soon its just an updated version rather than a redesign.( V2 is an update too but the car is only a few months old vs a few years.)
Reading through the awesomatrix thread that car is freakin awesome! i'm not sold on the shock system but I do like it.
If it was a little cheaper than it'd be well up on the list.
I like the underdog brands but have been caught out before with spares and supply issues so its hard to go down that route again.
It was easy before, tamiya kyosho losi associated xray with all these other players now its hard to make a decision.
Time to do some more reading
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deepsouth
bertrand saw the awesomatrix thread, thought you were full of crap when you said the name, thats about as bling as bling gets I reckon! Bit out of my price range though.
Spent the afternoon going through the threads again and it seems the serpent stuff has the least amount of build issues and the addition of metal shocks with the option of ball and gear diff seems to be a bonus.
The photon looks cool bpalmer and jsin.
Some of the guys are also running schumacher Mi4s ? I found RAB hobbies on the mainland that sells the serpent cheaper than overseas plus postage and the parts support is spot on with express post, so I think i'm sold.
Yet to be decided so if anyone else wants to chime in with some words of wisdom feel free.
Thanks too for those who have replied
Am running the S411 (sydney) and a newbie to racing and have drifted for years.
The S411 is the best quality build i have seen. Had it two months and gave it and myself first run last night in 21.5 blinky.
It has tons of grip, and is smooth on change of directions. ended up 6th out of 9 (which im more than happy with) with an under performing motor (soon to be replaced).
The only issue i have is running the 64spur/43pinion, is it is a pain to change the pinion gear. Had to remove top deck to get at it. Other than that i am immensely happy with it.

Also cannot say enough good things about RAB Hobbies, Ren is always available to assist with any problems or questions.

Matt B
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks mignon, the feedback is much appreciated, Ren has been great so far with my inquiries. It seems they have just released a V2 kit with the 2.25 chassis but someone said they had some issues with the kit, wrong shock body, and binding which makes me go ugghhh.... I know nothing is 100% perfect and you kinda have to roll with alot of it but I hate simple things that shouldnt go wrong, going wrong... means QC is not being watched or monitored.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Finally decided to go with serpent. Ren and RAB hobbies has been great, the V2 is just some other extras with a 2.5mm plate so thats all good. Gonna pick it up in a fortnight, cant wait to start the build and report back.
Thanks for all the advice and comments its much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deepsouth
Finally decided to go with serpent. Ren and RAB hobbies has been great, the V2 is just some other extras with a 2.5mm plate so thats all good. Gonna pick it up in a fortnight, cant wait to start the build and report back.
Thanks for all the advice and comments its much appreciated.
Sounds like a great plan, msg if you have any questions (im no expert) but another couple weeks i should be getting used to the s411
Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mingnon
Sounds like a great plan, msg if you have any questions (im no expert) but another couple weeks i should be getting used to the s411
Thanks mate will def give you a shout when i go for setup. Being in hobart the car scene is a little small, its getting there, but still has a way to go.
Did you start with the standard setup or use one of the pro setups?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Tere are lot of nice cars available but the big question is: what brands is your LHS carrying so you have parts quickly without having a race missed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.