R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default motor esc setup

what is the best motor and esc setup for road course stuff? im looking for top speed and low end torque. can anyone help me? money is no issue
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

There is no best LOL Give a good driver a car, put together with some
Cheapo Electronics he will still hand you your poop on a golden platter everytime. even after you have the most expensive setup.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check with what the others at your track are running, then try to improve your driving skills. the attitude that money is no object rarely will win you races in this sport. the attitude of how i can improve on my skills, often does.

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

well im new to electric rc and want something to do between 45-70 mph and still have low end torque.... i dont know what to look for as far as the specs of everything go..... i was looking at a viper vtx10 with the viper vst motor but dont know what turn motor to get or the castle creations sidewinder setup but idk which one and idk if there are any better setups
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
well im new to electric rc and want something to do between 45-70 mph and still have low end torque.... i dont know what to look for as far as the specs of everything go..... i was looking at a viper vtx10 with the viper vst motor but dont know what turn motor to get or the castle creations sidewinder setup but idk which one and idk if there are any better setups
what chassis are you running ?
what track are you running at ?
what batteries are you using ?
we race on a track with straights about 110 feet long, even the fastest guys are hitting about 40 mph at the fastest part of the track. if you gear it for anymore speed than that you will have very little luck finishing a 6 minute race with a motor that looks more like it was at a bbq than at a race.

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I think you should decide what you really want, because as a rule, you get high speed, OR torque. Not both.

Low-turn, or high-Kv motors (example: 3.5T or 6900KV) will get you the speed you want, but will not have the torque you might require.
High-turn, or low-Kv motors (example:55T or 2200Kv) are usually used in crawlers and such.

Also, speeds over 45 MPH are kind of useless. A car or truck will only flip turning at that speed or higher, and most all on-road racing is done well under that speed, so unless you're thinking of drag racing, go to a track and ask what the hot set up is, for the type of racing you want to do.

And sensored or sensorless systems are your choice, though most will tell you going sensored is the way to go. Better control at all speeds.
Deunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As someone who has gone through the induction into the sport recently, the best advice (as some others here have said) is to go to the track you plan to race at and see what they are running. This serves two benefits.

1. Your equipment is on par with the other racers, meaning you just need to focus on skill level.

2. If anything breaks, or misbehaves, you have experienced people on hand who can help!

Basically every track is different, so motor and gear setup differs from track to track. It may also differ based on your driving style ie an agressive style needs different setup to a smooth consistent style as agressive styles tend to favour high acceleration to recover from braking and missed corners, whereas smooth styles can hold higher top speed at the expense of acceleration as they wont be slowing to stop as often...just what ive found so far, im probably over-simplifying but for now, just chat to the guys racing where you want to race.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

most of the guys are running a stock electric tc4 and a couple have the 4tec with the vxl3s... its basically a asphalt track behind the local hobby shop and kinda setup one straight 130 ft and shorter straights with corners... i know once over 50mph you kinda have to start looking at weight i was just giving figures to get a average speed id be happy with 40-45 mph one guy has a tc6 averaging 40ish but i dont know his setup ill talk to him next weekend... keep the comments coming there helping me understand the hobby better