Carpet rubber tyres. >

Carpet rubber tyres.

Carpet rubber tyres.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Carpet rubber tyres.

Ok, need some help oh wise forum.

One of the local clubs I race at is using foam on indoor carpet. Which to be honest i've found to be nothing more then an expensive pain in the arse. So I want to swap to rubber tyres, which they insist they haven't been able to get to work, and because I don't have a lot of money to try a bunch of different compounds on rubber just to have heaps of tyres I cant use, I have yet to try them.

The foams I've been using have been around the 35sh fronts and 32/30sh rear, but some members have been using up to 42sh fronts with 37/35 rears. And this provides a pretty good amount of grip.

The surface isn't normal carpet, but astro turf. Its worn down a lot, so it has the look and feel of carpet. It can be very dusty, the car often comes of the track coated in green fiber dust, after a while it even gets into the ball diffs. As it is primarily an indoor soccer field, we aren't allowed any type of traction compound.

The chassis is a Schumacher mi1, running Schumacher white springs all round (14lb) front and rear sway bars, about 5mm ride height. Running in 17.5 boosted. Track layout changes every 3 meets. Typically one good straight, then technical infield, maybe second shorter straight. Obviously, size is an indoor soccer field. If you need more setup info that will help ask away.

Any help would be great. Mainly looking for a starting point, or a tyre that will work well on low grip carpet.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know with astroturf, but the best tire for carpet I have used so far, is Sorex 28.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Difficult to find traction on a dusty surface. Sorex are awesome on any clean surface, but even the best slicks aren't good if it's really dusty like you are describing. You'll probably find Schumacher mini pin tires or Tamiya rally block tires will hook up better than slicks.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I second the use of the rally blocks, I have run them in the past on dusty astro turf on my traxxas rally vxl. There the best tire I've found for this application, and they don't want to wear out.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Setup wise I'd raise the car to around 6mm to handle the bumps...

Tire wise... We tried using the SWEEP EXP 30 tires and they worked ok. Obviously slower then foam but still fine to get around with (MRJ has some stock if we get interested again)

I like the Shui pin idea... and the Blocks. They may work in stock but would they hold up in modified?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've run on fresh turf before. Rally style tires worked pretty well.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Frontline actually have the mini pins in stock too. I saw them last time I was in there. What inserts should be used with them?

I'll try the heigher ride height too, I'm a little limited with my shocks cause they use spacers rather then threaded collars. I don't really want to spend $80-$100 on new shocks either cos I plan on getting a new chassis in 6 months or so anyway.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
Frontline actually have the mini pins in stock too. I saw them last time I was in there. What inserts should be used with them?

I'll try the heigher ride height too, I'm a little limited with my shocks cause they use spacers rather then threaded collars. I don't really want to spend $80-$100 on new shocks either cos I plan on getting a new chassis in 6 months or so anyway.
You can pick up 3racing or Yeah Racing shocks pretty cheaply from rcmart. .....
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

I tried yeah racing on the mini and didn't like them. The trf were heaps better. So I'd be worried that they wouldn't work as well as the stock shui ones even with the better ride height adjustment.