Old 10-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

are you running these in UK or China?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default cool down!!

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Fans are no good. They make the motor hotter, not cooler and you have less top end power.
In boiling hot tropical weather, fan help. A lot.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CARD
In boiling hot tropical weather, fan help. A lot.
When the SP 2.0 mod motors came out they had fans. I tested motors with the full fan, 1/2 fan (milled down) and no fan. Temps were actually better with less fan and best with no fan (same track/settings)! I think this is because the the impellor puts a load on the motor relative to how fast it is turning. When a mod spools up a bit there is a lot of rpm and therefore a load on the motor not including the car it is also pushing. Think of sticking your hand out the window of a car at decent speed. The air puts a noticeable load on your hand, the same happens to the impellor. However the best reason not to run a fan is the difference in top end power, which is quite a bit.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
When the SP 2.0 mod motors came out they had fans. I tested motors with the full fan, 1/2 fan (milled down) and no fan. Temps were actually better with less fan and best with no fan (same track/settings)! I think this is because the the impellor puts a load on the motor relative to how fast it is turning. When a mod spools up a bit there is a lot of rpm and therefore a load on the motor not including the car it is also pushing. Think of sticking your hand out the window of a car at decent speed. The air puts a noticeable load on your hand, the same happens to the impellor. However the best reason not to run a fan is the difference in top end power, which is quite a bit.
+ 1 , I also removed the fans from the motor they made more drag than anything, if you want to cool the motor a fan behind it pulling the air away from the motor instead of blowing in if it blows in all you are doing is blowing the hot air back in, if you gear the motor just right there is no need for a fan.

I run my motors at zero motor timing (factory settings) . Advancing the motor timing all you are doing is creating more heat. I think Shawn Palmer made a few post regarding this in the speed passion thread while ago.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olly986
are you running these in UK or China?
Running it out here in China
Regards
Ed
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TryHard
Running it out here in China
Regards
Ed
didn't you had your best lap time in the c-mains with one of these ?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

it's still in the testing stage ...with more changes to be made (i guess).it made it to the a-mains recently in hw race.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fastfreddy74
The are no performance advantage, but power and sensor wires are more protected from side impacts and asphalt scratches...
Unless you drive a shaftdrive touringcar
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They are selling these in Japan now,but the company that imports them are not know for importing quality products. Usally they just import junk and pass it off as great.
I hope this motor is a nice motor and didnt lose any quality when it was manufactured.
I like the ideas and its nice to see something new
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just thought I would add some pictures of the fans whilst I remember.

Bigger one is the one on the 21.5t Rotor, smaller the 4.5t.

I've actually been testing a new sensor board for these motors recently... well, when I say testing, I mean proving that the older design was fine, and didn't drop the motor into sensorless mode when running boosted mod, but c'est le vie!
Attached Thumbnails IMHO this is pure genius!-4.5-fan.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-21.5-fan.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks TryHard for the info. I've been looking at one of the 21.5s for my JRXS Type R for our local modified class and I think it'll fit my car very nicely. I use a Xerun 120 with boost but not nearly all it could do. I'm going to order tonight.
Thanks again.