R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Solder tabs aren't any higher than any other motor on the market (except SP ones)
Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not sure if this would be a issue, but every time you hit the throttle wouldn't it be pulling the rotor away from the sensor board? And if so as the RPM goes up and the distance from the sensor increases wouldn't that effect the timing to a point?

Just wild speculation on my part
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I really like Speed Passions quick connect wiring in the endbell. It just seems like a no brainer to make the sensor wire plug in, on the top of the motor. I have no idea why all the motor manufacturers haven't figured that out.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Am I the only one that sees what looks like an internal fan on the end that "normally" has the sensor board and solder points?

Don't know if it's better or worse, but it sure looks different.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Am I the only one that sees what looks like an internal fan on the end that "normally" has the sensor board and solder points?

Fans are no good. They make the motor hotter, not cooler and you have less top end power.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

it does bring the motor wires closer to the center of the car, but would push the stator and rotor out which are heavier than the sensor board and wires...I think it's really a wash but DAMN it looks cool
anthonyscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
Fans are no good. They make the motor hotter, not cooler and you have less top end power.
I didn't say they were good or bad, just seems that motor has one. I could be seeing things.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Certainly goes against the grain of the current BL motor models we're seeing.

Interesting looking for sure. A real UFO!!!
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Grrrrr.... post edit went awol... see below!

Last edited by TryHard; 09-29-2011 at 08:21 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Grrrrr.... post edit went awol... see below!
see what?
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
The back says Tianhao. I did a google search but it refers to a Chinese company who makes remote controls for satallite and televisions. Didin't you ask the car's owner where he bought it?
The brand is a chinese brand, and certainly isn't so well known on the international scene. However they do make OEM's for other mfg's out there, but I'm not at liberty to divulge who. They have only recently switched to using Tianhao model, previously was under the MMH brand, and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCELL View Post
I saw this in the "Inspire us. Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics" thread and it was posted by TryHard. I asked him about this motor, so I hope he signs in again soon and sees this thread. The motor has some very cool features so I want to hear how well it has preformed compared to other brands he has used.
The motor is one of only a few at the moment in existence. I originally got the chance to test the very first motor (11.5t), and compared to others of the same turns, felt very good. Pretty comparable to my X12's.
As for the modified, well I've only really used the MMH 4.5 and 5.5 before, so not a broad baseline to work from. Having said that, it was certainly comparable to those, and when running against others the other week, was certainly fast and smooth to boot (although having a correctly tuned speedo helps!). Coped well with a decent amount of turbo and boost as well, with a bit more time, more could be found for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer View Post
so , do you have to remove the motor to advance the timing ?
No. The sensor is held only by rubber pads (like an SP) so all you need to do is undo the rear three screws and slide it to the position you want.
There is a slight issue with this motor, as the pads are a little thick, which pushes the sensor port a bit too close to the solder tabs (my soldering hand isn't so steady! ) and makes it difficult to move the sensor. I've taken a knife to one of the tabs to make it thinner, which has helped matters a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Answer in search of a problem, that brings with it more problems.
As with anything, it's all about compromise... he who compromises best, wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfreddy74 View Post
The are no performance advantage, but power and sensor wires are more protected from side impacts and asphalt scratches...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
My brother had his motor hit during a run recently and it knocked the timing way up. Result was.lots of smoke. It would not happen with this so I like the concept. I imagine though that the cg of the motor has has gone in the wrong direction.
Yup, can't argue against better protection for the sensor.
As for the CG, I can't see it being any worse than a standard motor, as the outer casing has mostly been removed, and the sensor and tabs don't take up a lot of space. I'll try and get some measurements of the two types I have from the same company, gets some proper values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Not sure if this would be a issue, but every time you hit the throttle wouldn't it be pulling the rotor away from the sensor board? And if so as the RPM goes up and the distance from the sensor increases wouldn't that effect the timing to a point?

Just wild speculation on my part
Could be a factor, but then I find the motor moves away from the sensor on a standard motor. Shim the rotor right, and it's a non-issue.. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post

Yes, there is a fan in there. It's inbuilt, with the intention being that the fan is sitting in better airflow, for more effective cooling. Does it work? no idea, and like Dragonfire, I'm sceptical about the effectiveness of such devices (although at least this one has the opportunity of some air to help!). Having said that, it is quite small, and the fan design itself should help direct the flow into the can better. Also makes the motor sound good when spooled up

I'll try and get some stripped down pics this weekend, and take the measurements too. Also, I'll see if I can find out more info on release dates, and what's happening about international sales.

Regards
Ed
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
see what?
Umm, my bad. Writing this in the office, and had to go off and quickly do some other things. Still info is up now
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Umm, my bad. Writing this in the office, and had to go off and quickly do some other things. Still info is up now
Thanks for the info,I am interested in the motor and hope they make it.
I am tired of all the same motors that are exactly the same. Nobody s doing anything different,only this motor.
SO I wish them luck. Thanks again
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Some more pictures of the motor, including comparison to a more traditional type.

First three pics are overall comparison of the two types. UFO is slightly longer, but not by much though.
Next two are trying to show comparative stator position (look through the UFO cooling holes), UFO is only about 1mm further out than the standard type. I've tried to keep the end plates in the same positions, but a bit tricky to take a picture!
Attached Thumbnails
IMHO this is pure genius!-motor-comparison.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-mmh-length.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-ufo-length.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-stator-comparison.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-stator-comparison-2.jpg  

Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Some more pics...

First up is the motor in pieces. Can see the rubber ring used to hold the sensor in position. Second shows the internal stator of the UFO.

This is comparison of the two rotors (UFO on top, MMH on the bottom), with the last showing the sensor position.

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
IMHO this is pure genius!-ufo-pieces.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-ufo-internal.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-rotors.jpg   IMHO this is pure genius!-sensor-position.jpg