Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SpeedMerchant World GT3 >

SpeedMerchant World GT3

SpeedMerchant World GT3

Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 on easiest car I've ever driven. Had an electrical issue this weekend, but car was great. I moved the battery to rear online to get my rear bias and made it even better. Haven't tried hop ups yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donny Lia
meant to get pics up of this awhile ago, car that won Roar Nats in Texas I believe Bruce has full race report/pics/setup coming in the next few days with it.

Car is incredible, also ran it last week at our season ending Trophy event in NY. Car was .2 to .3 sec. per lap faster than competition (Xrays and Crcs).

Looks good
What side links are those, and how do you make them fit
Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Has anybody else been running a WGT3 with a Hobbywing 1s speedo? If so, any thoughts on speedo placement? Right now I have mine behind the battery, but in order to make it fit I have had to move the battery pretty far forward, and the car is very docile because of it. Wouldn't mind getting more steering by moving the battery backwards, but it seems like I might have to find that steering elsewhere. Are most people running a Tekin with this car so they can keep the battery further back?

This car is great though, looking forward to my first foray into WGT, and it seems like I got the right car for it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Has anybody else been running a WGT3 with a Hobbywing 1s speedo? If so, any thoughts on speedo placement? Right now I have mine behind the battery, but in order to make it fit I have had to move the battery pretty far forward, and the car is very docile because of it. Wouldn't mind getting more steering by moving the battery backwards, but it seems like I might have to find that steering elsewhere. Are most people running a Tekin with this car so they can keep the battery further back?

This car is great though, looking forward to my first foray into WGT, and it seems like I got the right car for it.
I run the HW1s
Lipo forward, plenty good steering

Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donny Lia
meant to get pics up of this awhile ago, car that won Roar Nats in Texas I believe Bruce has full race report/pics/setup coming in the next few days with it.

Car is incredible, also ran it last week at our season ending Trophy event in NY. Car was .2 to .3 sec. per lap faster than competition (Xrays and Crcs).

Donny, are those the CEFX front end pieces? I think I spy the steering blocks....

Were you running inline or trailing axle config @ the Carpet Nats?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Donny, are those the CEFX front end pieces? I think I spy the steering blocks....

Were you running inline or trailing axle config @ the Carpet Nats?
They are cfex. Inline.

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Looks good
What side links are those, and how do you make them fit
Some pieces I'm playing with, no difference from standard other than being a hair lighter. Less durable tho.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
KJR
Tech Rookie

Thinking about getting myself one of these cars. As I'm based in the UK trackside spares will be unavailable so I was planning on using the associated front end. Is it possible to fit the cross brace to the R5 front end or is the width of the GT3 different ? I've not seen anyone here run without a brace.

Is it possible to fit other manufacturer sidelinks, I see one picture above has done so but don't know whose they are.

I've been running my 12R5.1 for two years and it goes brilliantly now with my speedmerchant parts fitted. I've not managed to break anything apart from a sidelink so I'm not a careless driver but it would be useful to know if I could get something to fit in an emergency.

Finally is it possible to get the axle spaced properly when using Jaco wheels. I think most of the pictures have CRC wheels on which have a different offset.

Thanks

Kenneth
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KJR
Thinking about getting myself one of these cars. As I'm based in the UK trackside spares will be unavailable so I was planning on using the associated front end. Is it possible to fit the cross brace to the R5 front end or is the width of the GT3 different ? I've not seen anyone here run without a brace.

Is it possible to fit other manufacturer sidelinks, I see one picture above has done so but don't know whose they are.

Finally is it possible to get the axle spaced properly when using Jaco wheels. I think most of the pictures have CRC wheels on which have a different offset.
I honestly do not know about the R5 brace. I am fairly confident that the front end of the WGT3 is wider, so the normal brace won't fit, but I vaguely remember seeing different versions of the brace out there, so you might be able to find a different one. For what it is worth, I haven't seen anyone running the WGT3 with a brace on the R5 front end.

With regards to sidelinks, I want to try a set of AE side links on my car, but haven't had the chance to yet. Honestly, though, I like the turnbuckle system, as it seems a little more durable.

Lastly, it is worth mentioning that pretty much all of the pictures in this thread of the WGT3 have Jaco tires, not CRC, so you don't need to worry. I have been told that the car is essentially purpose-built to use the Jaco tires (and SM sells Jaco tires from their website), but you would want to ask Bruce to confirm or deny that.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FWIW, I really like the standard SpeedMerchant turnbuckle sidelinks. With the turnbuckle links the center football is fixed, and I've had absolutely no issues with the pod binding up after a hit. Once they're set, they don't seem to budge a bit, and the car has remained completely tweak-free and straight.

By comparison, and while I like my 12R5 a lot (especially with the SM tube conversion ), the pod will get notchy on occasion. Anyone who runs the 12R5 knows the drill: pop off the side springs and dampers, loosen the football, wiggle the pod, carefully tighten it back up. It's the same with all fixed-length links. The adjustable center pivot football is how the pod is tweaked.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would want to go away from the standard links on the WGT3, aside from some bling factor. They're one of the best parts of the car
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The car is designed with Jaco tires in mind but still works with others.

Ae side links are longer and will not work.

No idea how different the width is. You could always shim the upper link inward to make a brace work if it is reasonable amount. Or you could run the old school that comes in the box and be happy.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KJR

I've been running my 12R5.1 for two years and it goes brilliantly now with my speedmerchant parts fitted. I've not managed to break anything apart from a sidelink so I'm not a careless driver but it would be useful to know if I could get something to fit in an emergency.

Thanks

Kenneth
Pretty sure that is the 10R5 brace in front! Dont know what side links they are using. U can still get 10R5 parts at various dealers.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KJR

Thanks

Kenneth
My WGT3 has been rolling on Jaco Specs since shakedown, they are brilliant

I checked to see if the brace would fit when I built the car, and I believe it does
With .018" front springs there is no need, the chassis has very little flex at the front

I would recommend CEFX caster blocks if you want to remove all flex up front

http://cefxspeedshop.com/10105-Griff...lock-10105.htm
Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

What parts are needed to fit the R5 front end to the GT3? The hole patterns are different arent they?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Champion

There are a few options
Hyperdrive 10th scale aluminum bulkheads are what I used
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
There are a few options
Hyperdrive 10th scale aluminum bulkheads are what I used
Where did you buy them? I have a R5 front end and would like to try on my GT3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.