R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default need some help pls.

Aloha guys,

I've recently got back into rc again.. haven't been around the scene for almost 7 yrs.. well I'm in it for rc drifting, and I think I'm staying serious about this.. I've picked up a tamiya vdf roller, brand new, with everything and spare parts for 280 on a local forums here I'm Hawaii, and I think I scored a good deal.. anyways, ive picked up a novak brushless sysyem, and a futaba 3pm. Lipo and charger.. I broke my drifter in this past weekend and everythings went smooth.. got one way diff in front and lock diff in back..

My concern is that the front belt tension seems alittle tight.. as far as the back OS alittle loose.. I would hold on the throttle, and it would completly stop.. is that normal, or should it free roll after letting go the throttle..

How do I loosen the tension of front belt? It loosen the tension in general?

I'm such a need, I'm sorry...
hawaii808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If the car is still new, the belts usually need time to break in. Pull out your motor and see if the drivetrain is smooth with no binding. I know on my TCX it uses the cam bearing holder to change the belt tension. Also check if your esc has any drag brake programed into it.

If your serious about rc cars you should check out the racing up at the boxcar track also
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I'm assuming your from Hawaii..

But yeah I want to be serious into it.. my cousin bf actually plays there, and at napas..

Yes the whole chassis is brand new.. so maybe it does need some breaking in... You've mentioned about the cam bearing holder, is that were the diff goes into? Cause I've took it apart and notice that the bearing that's in that plastic where the diff goes into, it comes out with teeth like and can move, and has a dot on it, so assuimg I might be able to loosen the tension..
Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

then go ahead and play with the tensioner. If its not enough, either the belts need more runtime to break in or there is a binding issue in the drivetrain.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Belt trains are not the best choice for drifting, most driftcars use a shaftdrive system. If belt are too loose it is possible they slip over the pulley's.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I figured how to loosen the tension, thanks man

Yeah I've heard about shaft being better, but this chassis without any hopups cost nearly a fortune... But I've picked it up brand new with a rtr redcat for only 280 so it was a steal..