Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcguyfpr
someone mentioned my name? exotek '12 was good..... until you drove a T4. LOL
I will drive yours this weekend!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I ended up getting the conversion. I hope to run it Wednesday! There were some issues between the conversion and the stock '12. The servo mount on the conversion is in the wrong (old?) place. So I had to redrill/countersink a new hole for the floating mount to work. The instructions also asked for the rear pivot pins to be moved to the front, but again this was not the case and the stock front pins worked fine. The tamiya style mounts are great though! Maybe xray will look into these into the future designs. Seems to make it easier, stronger, and much more free than the stock version.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone not sponsored by Smokem tried the Smokem MX T3 chassis? I want to know if it's worth the money. What was your experience with it?

Thanks,
Oliver
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
I ended up getting the conversion. I hope to run it Wednesday! There were some issues between the conversion and the stock '12. The servo mount on the conversion is in the wrong (old?) place. So I had to redrill/countersink a new hole for the floating mount to work. The instructions also asked for the rear pivot pins to be moved to the front, but again this was not the case and the stock front pins worked fine. The tamiya style mounts are great though! Maybe xray will look into these into the future designs. Seems to make it easier, stronger, and much more free than the stock version.
Had some issues myself with the kit! The battery terminals sit to close to the top plate ( I got the Exotek one) so i had to order the Exotek battery brace. I hope it pushes the battery out a bit more. Its still in the mail. Stock carbon fiber xray floating servo does not fit( I made my own for right now). I ordered a CSO floating servo holder. I hope that fits now that you said that. In all I still like the kit. I am happy I dont have to deal with those plastic pin holders and the screws I was bending and breaking. I was always wandering why my car felt tweaked untill teardown and finding screws bent and arms binding.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

I went straight with the exotek battery brace. I believe I have it out all the way and its still very close, not touching but close! I found it funny though, the center brace that comes in the battery kit doesn't fit on the exotek chassis!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

I went straight with the exotek battery brace. I believe I have it out all the way and its still very close, not touching but close! I found it funny though, the center brace that comes in the battery kit doesn't fit on the exotek chassis!
My friend whos car I was copying had the exotek battery brace. I just thought the stock ones would work but not happening. So you havent tried yet? I am going this weekend.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

No haven't got to try the car yet. If my ESC comes early enough on Wednesday I will be trying it then, if not I will go up on Friday and give it a go!

My issue (reason for switching) was breaking the xray chassis. I broke 1 on a pretty hard hit where the tire cought a corner and just ripped it apart. At the rear where the alignment hole is for the rear 1 piece hangers (the one we don't use) it spit right there. Then got a brand new chassis, sealed it polished it etc. Less than 3 runs later that one was splitting in the same place! NO major hits either!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

No haven't got to try the car yet. If my ESC comes early enough on Wednesday I will be trying it then, if not I will go up on Friday and give it a go!

My issue (reason for switching) was breaking the xray chassis. I broke 1 on a pretty hard hit where the tire cought a corner and just ripped it apart. At the rear where the alignment hole is for the rear 1 piece hangers (the one we don't use) it spit right there. Then got a brand new chassis, sealed it polished it etc. Less than 3 runs later that one was splitting in the same place! NO major hits either!
Wow! havent heard of any people in my area breaking any chassis, not even top plates. High speed pavement!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

PROMODVETTE: So whats the word? How did it go? I got the exotek battery holders and it worked fine and yes my center battery support had wrong holes. It says that those braces are for the 2011 model. Also got my CSO floating servo holder. I got the T4 light weight version and drilled another hole behind the last hole. It made it alot more solid than using the elongated hole in front, but I did put a screw in fist hole too. So three screws! Its been a long week waiting to run this thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default flex chassis

Guys, What do you think about the VBC-CRC chassis kit? I was looking at that or the Exotek flex chassis. I'm converting my 11 to east west steering like my 12 and am thinking I should go to the chassis kit and cure several problems of Kansas sun on pavement
Old 05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
PROMODVETTE: So whats the word? How did it go? I got the exotek battery holders and it worked fine and yes my center battery support had wrong holes. It says that those braces are for the 2011 model. Also got my CSO floating servo holder. I got the T4 light weight version and drilled another hole behind the last hole. It made it alot more solid than using the elongated hole in front, but I did put a screw in fist hole too. So three screws! Its been a long week waiting to run this thing.
Wasn't able to make it Wednesday something else come up and I wasn't able to get by in time I have something to do tomorrow afternoon, but I'm hoping to get to the track in the morning as soon as it opens at 10am! I really don't have anything to compare it to, my last attempts were still on a fairly green track and 10.1 was quick. Now 9.7 is quick. If I'm close to that I would say this thing works
Old 05-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Ran mine in practice today for first time. I like it alot! Ran it short with all spacers placed in front hinge pins and rear hinge pins. Had to get a new body cause wheel wells would be cut way back and would look funny. In all car was very smooth. Tomorrow is race day and will get to see how it does. All the guys racing Reedy are here so there will be more competition than normal guys.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Got to run mine yesterday. Didn't do so well.... my rear toe with the 2.5 degree mounts come to 0 degrees. Why? I have no idea. Everything is put together correct. I'm fairly sure both arms/hubs aren't bent to make this thing off exactly the same on both sides. Summer semester starts tomorrow so I will just have to deal with it when I can.

Were you running on carpet or asphalt? Care to put a setup sheet up on xray or whatever of what you ended up with?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Got to run mine yesterday. Didn't do so well.... my rear toe with the 2.5 degree mounts come to 0 degrees. Why? I have no idea
Sounds like you have the left and right mounts on the wrong sides, so that the 2.5 degrees undoes the built in toe from the bulkheads/shims.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default asphalt set up

curious to see anyones setup on a semi-prepped asphalt setup, running mod rubber. running at toledo ohio

the car felt ok, and i have made adjustments since my 1st run. i really didn't have rear traction, (maybe too much front traction?). my next race is this weekend and if i could see some others setups, i'd like to see if i'm in the right direction.

i started w/ the base setup, and have gradually moved away

to help the rear, i have gone to the 2nd hole for the link, laid down the rear shocks, and added a spacer under the rear inside link. i also have put on the thinner top deck. i plan on running new Sorex ashaplt 32s, which i hope this setup makes a huge difference in traction.

set me see what others have run...

thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.