Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Looks like a lot of parts have changed, will be a good opportunity to release it as the T4, as no one wants to own a t3 '13!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Kinda hard to ignore that trf got three drivers in the main while only one X-ray driver even got close. Bad luck is def a part of the game but I can't help feel like X-ray just hasn't been prepared for the last few years. IMO, that can't be excused. When you market the car in such a way then it never really wins much where the fun in that?

In any big international race, a main cars run the block style suspension mounting (yoko,hb,tamiya,kyosho)while AE and X-RAY mount the suspension with plastic holders and are found in lower mains. This has been the theme for the last few years. Can't help but think there might be something there ??
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dane
Kinda hard to ignore that trf got three drivers in the main while only one X-ray driver even got close. Bad luck is def a part of the game but I can't help feel like X-ray just hasn't been prepared for the last few years. IMO, that can't be excused. When you market the car in such a way then it never really wins much where the fun in that?

In any big international race, a main cars run the block style suspension mounting (yoko,hb,tamiya,kyosho)while AE and X-RAY mount the suspension with plastic holders and are found in lower mains. This has been the theme for the last few years. Can't help but think there might be something there ??
Really? I love it. I don't have to go buy four sets of blocks to get different toe settings. I just need shims. I really doubt that Paul missed the A-main due to the lower suspension holders. I'm pretty sure the only reason he missed it is he ran 15 laps in round 6 while Hara ran 17. I feel you take Paul, Hara, Jilles, Volker, Vik, and Marc and you will have an awesome battle every week. They are all fantastic wheelmen. This Worlds with two sets of tires and no compound then rain and off it was a little combo of luck. Paul qualified 20th correct? Where did he finish? That's pretty impressive considering the quality of talent in his main.

No one here is going to knock any of those cars and say they are rubbish cause they can all be good....except the AE it's time to upgrade that thing it seems. But I'd rock a Yoko, TRF, HB, or Kyosho if it was more readily available here to me and if I got to try one and I felt it was less expensive to maintain. I very very rarely see anyone break anything on an X-ray and it's manual for setup is world class.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brokin Racing
Not one Xray in the main group, sounds like more than bad luck to me..
Yea sound more than bad luck, the fact is that the car is as good as the others, I think the drivers are not of the caliber as the other teams.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=NolanP;11029514]Really? I love it. I don't have to go buy four sets of blocks to get different toe settings. I just need shims.

Im not a tamiya fan but the t3 2012 has a greeat idea with the shims too bad the toe isnt equal from the left to right side.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Are people forgetting Paul won the warm up race for the worlds against these same guys on the same track?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Really? I love it. I don't have to go buy four sets of blocks to get different toe settings. I just need shims. I really doubt that Paul missed the A-main due to the lower suspension holders. I'm pretty sure the only reason he missed it is he ran 15 laps in round 6 while Hara ran 17. I feel you take Paul, Hara, Jilles, Volker, Vik, and Marc and you will have an awesome battle every week. They are all fantastic wheelmen. This Worlds with two sets of tires and no compound then rain and off it was a little combo of luck. Paul qualified 20th correct? Where did he finish? That's pretty impressive considering the quality of talent in his main.

No one here is going to knock any of those cars and say they are rubbish cause they can all be good....except the AE it's time to upgrade that thing it seems. But I'd rock a Yoko, TRF, HB, or Kyosho if it was more readily available here to me and if I got to try one and I felt it was less expensive to maintain. I very very rarely see anyone break anything on an X-ray and it's manual for setup is world class.
+1 for some level headed logic
If you want to use blocks you can buy the Exotek setup. You could also get creative I used serpent block on my 11 for the ff fr and rr and then Exotek split blocks for the rf works great. I like blocks over the traditional Xray setup but I doubt it kept anyone off the Podium.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=theatriks;11029636]
Originally Posted by NolanP
Really? I love it. I don't have to go buy four sets of blocks to get different toe settings. I just need shims.

Im not a tamiya fan but the t3 2012 has a greeat idea with the shims too bad the toe isnt equal from the left to right side.
Your kidding right? There are these magical shim thinggys and a Hudy setup station where you can set it perfectly equal.

No seriously if it isn't equal please check your suspension pieces something is bent you don't have matching blocks etc..... Could have a bent pin etc.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'm not seeing the bulkheads being closer together. Also, that would mean new diffs, spools, layshafts, and who knows what else in order to fit in between there would it not? course, I could easily be wrong.
The bulkheads line up with the layshaft mounts, they don't on the current cars and the layshaft can't be any narrower than it is due to the pulleys and spur.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
New layshaft mount doesn't appear to allow for the little plastic retaining pieces.
Originally Posted by silvalis
I'm undecided if that's a good thing.
Those plastic pieces always cause some binding. Try it. Take the belts off and mount the layshaft in position without those bits. It spins freely, now screw those plastic bits on and try spinning the layshaft.

Using the top deck to hold the layshaft in place is the same as the Tamiya.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The bulkheads line up with the layshaft mounts, they don't on the current cars and the layshaft can't be any narrower than it is due to the pulleys and spur.
I stand corrected.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'm not seeing the bulkheads being closer together. Also, that would mean new diffs, spools, layshafts, and who knows what else in order to fit in between there would it not? course, I could easily be wrong.
I think the bulkheads are closer, but I think there are new eccentrics that are designed to accommodate the diff and spool? I'm just noticing how the eccentrics look to have a rounded edge instead of the typical square edge. Financially it would seem cheaper to mold a new eccentric rather than new diff cases and spools.

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 07-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

I general I like the look of the new/prototype parts with the exception of the motor mount, hard to tell on the photo's but it looks like the motor is held on with 2 screws at the bottom, not sure I would trust that! seems all to easy to bend those screws unless there is an additional support somewhere? I'm not convinced about the short stroke shocks either, bet they would be an option part not supplied with the kit.

Bb
Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Those plastic pieces always cause some binding. Try it. Take the belts off and mount the layshaft in position without those bits. It spins freely, now screw those plastic bits on and try spinning the layshaft.

Using the top deck to hold the layshaft in place is the same as the Tamiya.
huh. I just tried it. Mine's almost as free, but if i tighten the screws down a bit it causes a fair bit of binding.

I actually like the serpent system the best - two little teardrop carriers.

Also, is it me, or does that servo look tilted forward. I thought it was the perspective at first but the things around it look fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silvalis
Also, is it me, or does that servo look tilted forward. I thought it was the perspective at first but the things around it look fine.
It is tilted.
Think is to make the top of the servo horn line up better with the Ackermann links etc. the steering posts are further apart which would foul the servo in it's '12 position, so it must be mounted further back and then leant forward to compensate.
Thats how I see it anyway.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I believe the reason for narrowing the bulkheads, in the rear at least, is if you run the hagberg mod, and run 1dg hubs, and try to get 3dg rear toe, the back of the rear arm will hit the bulkhead, if they mounts the bulkhead in a few mm, you can run the rear more narrow overall. I have never tried to run the front with less than 1.5mm shims, so I'm not sure it would be of any benefit there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.