Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
...but they skimp in other places that other cars simply do not. These parts include the shocks, steering rack arms, bumper brace, turn buckles, plastic spool, and the random plastic shims just to name a few....
Can you please explain what you think the problems are with the parts you mention as I don't see any problems compared with anyone elses (apart from the shocks, I think we might have had your opinion on those already )

Skiddins
Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ECS driveshafts help

Hi guys -I'm after some advice please...

I've been running kit driveshafts since the 2012 came out and am now considering forking out he cash for some ECS's. Are they worth the £70 in terms of reducing lap times?
If so, which manufacturers ones do ou recommend? Go with he considerably more expensive Hudy ones or go with Spec R or Arrowmax?
Anyone run these can give me some advice? I'm a good club driver who races mostly indoors on carpet 13.5 boosted on tight but usually flowing track with 11-12 second lap times if that helps

Thanks in advance
Paul
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mutley001

I've been running kit driveshafts since the 2012 came out and am now considering forking out he cash for some ECS's. Are they worth the £70 in terms of reducing lap times?
If so, which manufacturers ones do ou recommend? Go with he considerably more expensive Hudy ones or go with Spec R or Arrowmax?
Anyone run these can give me some advice? I'm a good club driver who races mostly indoors on carpet 13.5 boosted on tight but usually flowing track with 11-12 second lap times if that helps

Thanks in advance
Paul
I bought spec-r ones, but the drive shaft itself bends if you hit stuff really hard. I found out you can replace the drive shaft with the xray ones though. If you do get the spec-r ones, the drive shafts out live the bearings so do remember to order some more.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"luxury" is expensive. The price point of the current cars seems appropriate given the good materials, multitude of parts, precision machining, assumed sales volume, etc.. In addition, since so many things are manufactured in China, price points for items made outside of China can mistakenly appear inflated.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks in advance
Paul
Yes- just buy them ... But only once u can run a whole race without crashing
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks in advance
Paul
I have been running the arrow max ones and they are working great in my 17.5. I have bashed into the wall plenty of times and so far they are holding up well. I have only lost one pin cause I didn't check them from the factory and it was loose. If you get them, check them and put some lock tight in them.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought a set of the Yeah Racing ones and the Xray ECS ones. havent noticed a difference between the two sets but I only have a day on record of testing. It seemed to help with smoother cornering under full lock.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Can you please explain what you think the problems are with the parts you mention as I don't see any problems compared with anyone elses (apart from the shocks, I think we might have had your opinion on those already )

Skiddins
You have to admit the shims don't live up to X-ray quality. Steering rack I can kinda see as the kit pieces do bend. I wouldn't want another bumper brace. Every carbon brace I have had has broken.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
You have to admit the shims don't live up to X-ray quality. Steering rack I can kinda see as the kit pieces do bend. I wouldn't want another bumper brace. Every carbon brace I have had has broken.
Well ok the shims I can understand I did upgrade to some new shims to have full adjustment of toes and width. I personally havent had steering issues. What bent for you?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=artwork;10912873
Xray builds a great car and the parts quality is very good, but they skimp in other places that other cars simply do not. These parts include the shocks, steering rack arms, bumper brace, turn buckles, plastic spool, and the random plastic shims just to name a few. I like the car and will drive it (I own two of them), but I do not look through rose colored glasses. I expect more from the company that many agree is setting the bar for quality.
[/QUOTE]

Firstly, I mean absolutely no malice with my comments, and I know Nolan personally and I assure you he means none either. This discussion is what I hope this thread is for, so people can ponder things for themselves.

I do not want and would "downgrade" aluminum shock bodies (weight cost vs. no benefit) the steering bits (would rather they break and i don't run a servo saver) the outdrives (i always prefer composite there) and i do feel that a carbon bumper brace would be needless cost, but it does look cool.

Now, if i ever bend one of these tie rods i will seek out some titanium ones. I did replace all the plastic shims with metallic parts. I honestly don't feel that any of the car was "skimped" on. There is an engineer somewhere who can tell you exactly what choices were made and why, but they could charge a few more dollars and still prolly sell the same number of kits. I know I would have paid another 30 or 40 bucks easy for this car kit.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samnelso
"luxury" is expensive. The price point of the current cars seems appropriate given the good materials, multitude of parts, precision machining, assumed sales volume, etc.. In addition, since so many things are manufactured in China, price points for items made outside of China can mistakenly appear inflated.
+1
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adamska27
Now, if i ever bend one of these tie rods i will seek out some ORANGE titanium ones.
I agree....

BTW yes I fixed it...cause Im a nerd too
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

I feel a vibration when the car is held by hand and given more than half throttle.
What should i check?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
I feel a vibration when the car is held by hand and given more than half throttle.
What should i check?
Bent Axle maybe?
Debris in pulleys?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
What should i check?
If it gets worse when you turn left and right upgrade to the ECS driveshafts. Yeah Racing has em for 50 buck range. Im sure the spec r ones arent that far off. Or you can go xray for about 120 bucks.

Otherwise yeah I would check your drivetrain to see if anything is loose or a rock or pebble is in there.

Ive replaced both sets of fronts on my cars for that same reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.