R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #3961
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Hey Guys

I know I'm late to the party here... but I have a 1st-gen T3 that is giving me full satisfaction and that can still hang with the faster chassis out there, or almost can. The car I don't think is the main issue, driver skills are Anyways, I'm thinking about going more modern, or at least partially. Are there any aftermarket companies that make a conversion for the T3 (2010!) that allow it to run a "full" (but thin) chassis? I'm not necessarily chasing an option that uses dual bellcranks, but why not...

I tried exotek but their optional chassis only are compatible for T3'11 and beyond...

thanks for any info.
cheers
Paul
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #3962
Tech Fanatic
 
UrabusDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigz84 View Post
how did your car react w/ the 50mm ecs in the front? What change were you looking for?

I just purchased the 50mm to tune w/

also thinking of putting 50 in the rear.
I don't have ECS in my car but I do have 50 mm regular driveshafts in the front. I found the car to be more agressive and had more steering. Note that is does break composite spool outdrives much more easily than the kit 52mm's
__________________
Alpha Plus - alpha-rc.com
JQRacing - eu.jqracing.com
Blue Bird - www.blue-bird-model.com
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #3963
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hey Guys

I know I'm late to the party here... but I have a 1st-gen T3 that is giving me full satisfaction and that can still hang with the faster chassis out there, or almost can. The car I don't think is the main issue, driver skills are Anyways, I'm thinking about going more modern, or at least partially. Are there any aftermarket companies that make a conversion for the T3 (2010!) that allow it to run a "full" (but thin) chassis? I'm not necessarily chasing an option that uses dual bellcranks, but why not...

I tried exotek but their optional chassis only are compatible for T3'11 and beyond...

thanks for any info.
cheers
Paul

its a shame your not in australia as i still have 2 used original exotek chassis that suit the original t3 which you have........the last pictured here
they are the x3r version 1 or you can get t311 conversion or the vbc conversion also pictured
and both can be used for your current car.....as all the bulkheads are the same

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...l#post11545396
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #3964
Tech Apprentice
 
NateRug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bloomington Mn
Posts: 79
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hey Guys

I know I'm late to the party here... but I have a 1st-gen T3 that is giving me full satisfaction and that can still hang with the faster chassis out there, or almost can. The car I don't think is the main issue, driver skills are Anyways, I'm thinking about going more modern, or at least partially. Are there any aftermarket companies that make a conversion for the T3 (2010!) that allow it to run a "full" (but thin) chassis? I'm not necessarily chasing an option that uses dual bellcranks, but why not...

I tried exotek but their optional chassis only are compatible for T3'11 and beyond...

thanks for any info.
cheers
Paul
In 2011 they went to the Dual bellcrank steering design, so unless you want to just get a set of bellcranks, you will be limiting yourself to whatever is in stock or second hand parts. If you don't mind upgrading your steering at the same time, Xray does make a 2mm chassis that would bolt on. I'm not sure about the thickness of the other companies chassis, but It would allow you to fit any chassis for the 2011/2012 you wanted so do consider the steering upgrade.
__________________
MMR Spec VTA - 17.5 Brushless, 1c Lipo
21.5 Pro-lite 1/12th scale - CRC Xi
17.5 Rubber Sedan - Xray T3 2012

Offroad : Xray XB4 - Tekin Redline 8.5 Gen2 - Tekin RS Pro
NateRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #3965
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade072 View Post

its a shame your not in australia as i still have 2 used original exotek chassis that suit the original t3 which you have........the last pictured here
they are the x3r version 1 or you can get t311 conversion or the vbc conversion also pictured
and both can be used for your current car.....as all the bulkheads are the same

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...l#post11545396
Thanks David, us living on another continent wouldn't make a difference really, but I'm really looking for new parts atm, but it sure looks like at least some aftermarket companies did some stuff for my car. Will drop a line to exotek to see if they'd still have one lone chassis laying around

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateRug View Post
In 2011 they went to the Dual bellcrank steering design, so unless you want to just get a set of bellcranks, you will be limiting yourself to whatever is in stock or second hand parts. If you don't mind upgrading your steering at the same time, Xray does make a 2mm chassis that would bolt on. I'm not sure about the thickness of the other companies chassis, but It would allow you to fit any chassis for the 2011/2012 you wanted so do consider the steering upgrade.
Understand - thanks. I checked the cost of a DBSS and well let's say I don't mind keeping the stock single one...
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #3966
Tech Fanatic
 
Bigz84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
I don't have ECS in my car but I do have 50 mm regular driveshafts in the front. I found the car to be more agressive and had more steering. Note that is does break composite spool outdrives much more easily than the kit 52mm's
Ok thanks, that is what i was thinking. I plan on either using the alum outdrives or shimming out the composite outdrives 1mm.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post
I race at Thunder R/C, home of the Southern USVTA Nationals. Its a large flowing track with med/high bite on 1st run and gets better with every run after. I run 52mm's on my VTA car normally. The ECS 50mm's made it seem to me to get thru the switchbacks more smoothly, but comparing a T2'07 and a T3'12, they are 2 totally different feeling cars. The'12 seemed to enter the corners more agressivly, but much smoother than the '07 ever had with 52mm's.

As I said, I only ran my '12 in VTA once, just to see how much difference it was between the two. It prompted me to pull some strings and I get to order a T4'13 tomorrow evening.
i know what you mean with the 07. i just sold my 007 foam chassis car that i had been running in vta, and now i am using the 12 in vta. the 12 was much easier to drive for me in vta. definitely going to have to throw the 50s in the front on the smaller/technical tracks to see if i like.

enjoy your 13, i know i do...

thanks for the info
__________________
Airtronics/Sawna : EA Motorsports : Orca : Reflex Racing/RSD : Wild Turbo Fans : RCAmerica : Hudy : Xray : Diggity Designs : Team Scream Racing
Bigz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #3967
Tech Fanatic
 
UrabusDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 790
Default

I definetely reccomend that using aluminium outdrives. I used this 50mm shafts in the last 2 races on a very technical track but extremely bumpy and bad surface (ride height 6mm), which means more vibrations and stress. Ultimately I broke 2 composite outdrives in those two days, which is too much for an Xray. I have some aftermarket aluminium outdrives but they have created slop since I used them without plastic caps on the driveshafts, as they couldn't fit. I will modify the aluminium outdrives for next season so they can accomodate the plastic caps.

You can also buy steel spool outdrives but they are pretty expensive, you can buy 3 sets of composite ones for that money Aluminiums will be plenty good I believe
__________________
Alpha Plus - alpha-rc.com
JQRacing - eu.jqracing.com
Blue Bird - www.blue-bird-model.com
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #3968
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 64
Default T3 chassis

Lonestar - try the Smokem T3MX chassis. We think, after a few weeks running it on carpet, that its a real improvement on a standard T3/12 chassis.
donwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #3969
Tech Elite
 
303slowdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rapid City SD.
Posts: 2,299
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Hey Guys

I know I'm late to the party here... but I have a 1st-gen T3 that is giving me full satisfaction and that can still hang with the faster chassis out there, or almost can. The car I don't think is the main issue, driver skills are Anyways, I'm thinking about going more modern, or at least partially. Are there any aftermarket companies that make a conversion for the T3 (2010!) that allow it to run a "full" (but thin) chassis? I'm not necessarily chasing an option that uses dual bellcranks, but why not...

I tried exotek but their optional chassis only are compatible for T3'11 and beyond...

thanks for any info.
cheers
Paul
The VBC conversions are very good also and for the money you get the dual steering setup included. They can be bought from teamcrc.com.
__________________
Ryan Borgheiinck
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #3970
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
The VBC conversions are very good also and for the money you get the dual steering setup included. They can be bought from teamcrc.com.
yes they are a great bit of kit.......great quality too
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #3971
Tech Elite
 
blade072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Adelaide S.A
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhit View Post
Lonestar - try the Smokem T3MX chassis. We think, after a few weeks running it on carpet, that its a real improvement on a standard T3/12 chassis.
yeah smokem are also great........
__________________
David Randall

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #3972
Tech Master
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,706
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default T3/12's for sale

Just an FYI. I have two T3/12's that I'll be putting up on the Canadian buysell thread later today. Both are mint condition (carpet only) each with a Smokem T3MX chassis and floating servo mount included. Price will be very attractive!

PM me early if anyone's interested.

Jim C.
__________________
Jim Chapman
PM Hobbycraft | RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #3973
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I know alot of people have gone to the T4 but I wanted to know what others have done setup wise when using the 2mm chassis. I have picked up a brand new one from another racer to replace my worn 2.5 mm chassis and wondering what others have done when making the change.
I tried it last year and had a bit of trouble getting it dailled and wonder what setup changes others have made when moving to the 2mm chassis, and suggestions to try when testing, the track is treated asphalt, med-high grip, technical/mixed layout, running 13.5 blinky
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #3974
Tech Fanatic
 
MrRolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sans Souci, Sydney, Australia
Posts: 961
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I recently changed over to the 2mm xray chassis. Kept the same setup and for me it's a different car now. Gained a lot of steering and just made it easier to drive for me. I run 17.5 boosted and pretty much run kit except for

Hpi pink f/r springs
-0.75 front arm mounts
1.3 rear swaybar.
MrRolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #3975
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRolla View Post
I recently changed over to the 2mm xray chassis. Kept the same setup and for me it's a different car now. Gained a lot of steering and just made it easier to drive for me. I run 17.5 boosted and pretty much run kit except for

Hpi pink f/r springs
-0.75 front arm mounts
1.3 rear swaybar.
Thanks Mate
What track surface you running on and grip level? Did you improve your lap times with that setep?
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2011 entitymugenmtx Electric On-Road 4150 05-19-2014 01:53 PM
Xray T3 2011 New in Box olhipster1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 08-04-2011 06:27 AM
XRAY T3 2012 bila nk keluar? bravolous Malaysian R/C Racers 8 06-17-2011 12:58 AM
Xray T3 nitro rat Australia For Sale/Trade 22 09-19-2010 04:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net