R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2941
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

thanks for all the info on the shocks. I ended up getting a set of the xray aluminum ones too. Any special way people are setting them up?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #2942
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Sorry, but the weight of the shocks is irrelavent and is not a problem for any other manufacturer. There is no excuse why a luxury touring car would come with plastic shocks. Still makes me angry, but have learned to live without great shocks. The car still works well, but c'mon.

Spending another $100 on aluminum shocks sucks and is something I would except from a low budget entry level car. Not from a luxury car!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #2943
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not kidding, I would sell them for these, its weight above the cg and unsprung increasing its importance tenfold, i know it's insanely minor, but I love my plasic shocks, but i admit i will rebuild either alum or plastic following every race day, and sometimes during if i need a wt change, but these shocks have been permasmooth and i think the plastic holds the alum threaded bits tighter
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #2944
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
thanks for all the info on the shocks. I ended up getting a set of the xray aluminum ones too. Any special way people are setting them up?
I use the 3 hole piston, very low rebound 25% sometimes 50%
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2945
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I actually like the plastic shocks better than aluminum TRF shocks. They seem to last longer without needing rebuilding because of air for me. I just bought a second set of plastic shocks so I can have spares built with different weight oils for tuning.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #2946
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Sorry, but the weight of the shocks is irrelavent and is not a problem for any other manufacturer. There is no excuse why a luxury touring car would come with plastic shocks. Still makes me angry, but have learned to live without great shocks. The car still works well, but c'mon.

Spending another $100 on aluminum shocks sucks and is something I would except from a low budget entry level car. Not from a luxury car!
Oh hoh man you remind me of my customers. It's a car a toy car. Add those shocks and the kit costs us 600. This car will break too even though it is a "luxury car" it will eventually wear parts out. You are paying for excellent build quality, amazing tunability, and the great parts that come with it. So if you were willing to pay 600 for the kit just go buy em. Other than that go drive a cheaper kit out of the box with your "expensive" shocks and tell me everything feels to the quality of this kit.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #2947
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Oh hoh man you remind me of my customers. It's a car a toy car. Add those shocks and the kit costs us 600. This car will break too even though it is a "luxury car" it will eventually wear parts out. You are paying for excellent build quality, amazing tunability, and the great parts that come with it. So if you were willing to pay 600 for the kit just go buy em. Other than that go drive a cheaper kit out of the box with your "expensive" shocks and tell me everything feels to the quality of this kit.
I have built, owned, and driven a few kits in my time. I know what quality is and I know what to expect from one of the most expensive cars in the industry. The cost to increase the material of the shocks would not be that expensive to include in the kit, it certainly would not be a $100 premium. The Xray crowd has just come to accept lower quality parts included as part of the base kit (in certain areas). No one will say anything because everyone has dreams of being a team driver and I don't care about all that crap...I want to spend $500 and get a very high quality kit with comparable parts as the other vendors.

Xray builds a great car and the parts quality is very good, but they skimp in other places that other cars simply do not. These parts include the shocks, steering rack arms, bumper brace, turn buckles, plastic spool, and the random plastic shims just to name a few. I like the car and will drive it (I own two of them), but I do not look through rose colored glasses. I expect more from the company that many agree is setting the bar for quality. I will pay an extra few bucks not to get nickeled and dimed to bring my car up to the standard of other cars in the same class, and at the same time paying more (in some cases) for the base kit.

Even the Tamiya TA05 Pro kit comes with the same high quality shocks that comes on the 417X. Tamiya and others get it...if you build a high quality kit people will pay a little more for the convenience of having it all included in the kit at the highest levels. There is no perfect car on the market and each car has their own quirks, but at this price I really want it all. I am not afraid to spend money, I just think Xray consumers and drivers should have higher standards on what they expect to be included in the base kit. None of these parts will make you a better driver, but having to add them after the fact just adds insult to injury.

I really could do without the condescending remarks as you and I really do not know each other. I was simply stating facts as I see them, but would gladly continue this conversation in PM or Email to keep the thread clear.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #2948
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I tend to agree. On side note, I don't understand why Xray won't make a sport version of their most current design. Throw in plastic shocks and other part in a fiber glass version. I know many that would buy one but will never with a $500+ price tag. The hardcore segment of guys that already race Xray are going to buy the CF version regardless. Why not produce a sport version and expand your customer base Xray? Many of the sport version owners end up buying more hop up as they can afford them. Same principle as World or Warcraft. People want to improve their character. lol I simply do not understand Xray's marketing strategy. With the up/down economy, now would be the time to get new customers to try one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I have built, owned, and driven a few kits in my time. I know what quality is and I know what to expect from one of the most expensive cars in the industry. The cost to increase the material of the shocks would not be that expensive to include in the kit, it certainly would not be a $100 premium. The Xray crowd has just come to accept lower quality parts included as part of the base kit (in certain areas). No one will say anything because everyone has dreams of being a team driver and I don't care about all that crap...I want to spend $500 and get a very high quality kit with comparable parts as the other vendors.

Xray builds a great car and the parts quality is very good, but they skimp in other places that other cars simply do not. These parts include the shocks, steering rack arms, bumper brace, turn buckles, plastic spool, and the random plastic shims just to name a few. I like the car and will drive it (I own two of them), but I do not look through rose colored glasses. I expect more from the company that many agree is setting the bar for quality. I will pay an extra few bucks not to get nickeled and dimed to bring my car up to the standard of other cars in the same class, and at the same time paying more (in some cases) for the base kit.

Even the Tamiya TA05 Pro kit comes with the same high quality shocks that comes on the 417X. Tamiya and others get it...if you build a high quality kit people will pay a little more for the convenience of having it all included in the kit at the highest levels. There is no perfect car on the market and each car has their own quirks, but at this price I really want it all. I am not afraid to spend money, I just think Xray consumers and drivers should have higher standards on what they expect to be included in the base kit. None of these parts will make you a better driver, but having to add them after the fact just adds insult to injury.

I really could do without the condescending remarks as you and I really do not know each other. I was simply stating facts as I see them, but would gladly continue this conversation in PM or Email to keep the thread clear.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #2949
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Hasn't xray made a cheaper version the t3 r?

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #2950
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlkgliders View Post
Hasn't xray made a cheaper version the t3 r?
Yeah but it's based on the 2010 kit.
rcgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #2951
Tech Master

+1 on artworks statement
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #2952
Tech Apprentice

Hello
I am of espain and I like information about this chassis since in my country I do not find anything of information

team cso; XT-8014C CNC 2.2mm Carbon Chassis For Xray T3 2012

a greeting
txili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #2953
Tech Elite

Luxury or non Luxury there is gonna be something that doesnt apeal to the masses one way or another. Same with parts that are weaker. Just pick your poison. I knew my options going into this kit and it's still the kit I choose.

BTW on a side note. The lighter you can get my drive train the happier I will be. The faster I can get everything to turn the quicker I get to my top speed.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #2954
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You guys that can tell the difference between lighter shocks and lighter spools amaze me. I had one of my toe blocks flopping around because one screw fell out and the other was 90% there and I didn't notice. In fact I was still matching my hot laps.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #2955
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
You guys that can tell the difference between lighter shocks and lighter spools amaze me. I had one of my toe blocks flopping around because one screw fell out and the other was 90% there and I didn't notice. In fact I was still matching my hot laps.
They aren't actually noticing the weight of the shock. They are noticing the difference between the pistons. Standard come with 1.0mm pistons and aluminum have 1.1 mm pistons. A very heavy spool would be more noticeable than you may think.

On another note, hobby shops have to sell something. If all of the car companies included all of the hop-ups, they would have nothing to sell other than tires. Most shops make very little per kit. Think of off road. At the shop I work at, we sell the TLR 22 for around 250. Comes with good shocks and a good chassis. To bullet proof the 22, it will take another 2-300 dollars more in upgrades.

Xray's hop-ups are aluminum shocks and Ecs drive shafts. The shocks aren't necessary and we used normal drive shafts for years without a problem. At nats, im almost 100% positive that Ralph, Paul, Drew, and myself didn't use the aluminum shocks.

I do agree that xray should offer a less expensive version of the car which they do.

Chris

Texas EOS 2018!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote