Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-Technic
If they could make those out of the same molded plastic, it would be a lot cheaper than stocking a bunch of different toe block widths like I had to when I ran Tamiya.
Honestly, I'd take the convenience and consistency of toe blocks over the current style, even if it meant keeping a few more parts around. I already spend a small fortune to field this car, what's a few more bucks?

Hey Exotek, here's an opportunity to create some blocks that replace the existing pieces (on an XRay chassis) but are narrower. This sort of upgrade is right up your alley. Make it so!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

anyone running Tamiya shocks on the car care to share info on how you have them on the car and a spring combo? maybe even a pic?

I have a set laying around and am considering trying them.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dusttt
anyone running Tamiya shocks on the car care to share info on how you have them on the car and a spring combo? maybe even a pic?

I use the tamiya top with xray bottoms and xray springs.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Narrow

Exotek already did this their suspension is narrower
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Exotek already did this their suspension is narrower
I understand. But I'm sure there's people that would like to be able to narrow the rear of their car without having to make such a drastic change as the full Exotek conversion, and without having to hack up the plastic bits.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I use the tamiya top with xray bottoms and xray springs.
What is ment by xray bottoms, the spring holder/cup thingie?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use the Tamiya all black TRF dampers (part number 84008) on my xray 2012 and i use the standard tamiya 5mm ball cups. No issues installing them on the shock towers and suspension arms. Doing this, your shocks are automatically 2mm forward both front and rear.

I run on a low - medium asphalt track, thus i switch springs depending on the grip. With Tamiya springs combo of yellow at the front, and red at the rear, the car is really planted. For a HPI combo of Pink front and blue rear, it feels better driving the car but not as planted with the tamiya springs.

haven't gotten to knowing the difference in my lap times when using different springs.

hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use the bottom from xray amd the tamiya top with the tamiya fluorine coated 5mm ball nuts. That way i can change the possition of the shock forward or backwards more. The standard ball ends in the kit also work but u will need a 3mm locknut to secure it and there is no room voor any shims that way.
I also use the standard xray spring retainer. For setup i pretty much always will use hpi silver front and rear and maybe gold/silver or pink silver on high bite or carpet.

In my opinion the xray shocks are good enough when u got the time and patience to refill them all the time. But the tamiya's are more consistant in either filling and on the track.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nevergiveup
If you put the seperate suspension holders in in the front -rear position you better order some replacement chassis....
Has this happened to you? I know a few people running this modification but have not seen this happen.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjeremyaaron
What is ment by xray bottoms, the spring holder/cup thingie?
Top and bottoms mean the install hardware so the part that snaps onto the top ball and the bottom ball.......i have trfs on my t3 2012 and all i did was ream out the top cap to accept the xray tops and used the xray bottoms and they fit perfectly
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kinga
Has this happened to you? I know a few people running this modification but have not seen this happen.
I recall a few people damageing their chassis when the two piece blocks were standard at the back of the front wishbones.
Xray then free-issued the solid part so people had the choice.

I won't run the split blocks indoors as I do too much damage as it is, but I always run the split blacks on asphalt as it helps gaina little extra steering.

Skiddins

Last edited by Skiddins; 06-26-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Interupted mid-post
Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

+1, just like it was mentioned above, #2905; the actual hole size for the top cap 9.1mm, I machined mine and they work great.. reliability is much better IMO. They accept the xray bottom mounts, springs, and perches... Here's a pic:

It's a worthwhile upgrade for sure, hope it helps
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kinga
Yes multiple times,

I have seen it twice with the thin Chassis and I did it myself with the 2.5 mm I have gone back to the one piece, as I think with the thin chassis, I don't need anymore flex.

Regards
Nathan
Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 AM
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I too have the Tamiya shocks coming with the Exotek bits,

What is needed to be done to mount them exactly where the original ones go, and to make them fit,

I have been told I need to ream the top alloy thing to allow the X-ray joint thingy to fit in to the alloy parts, as well as machine the shafts down a bit or something.

However, couldn't I just use my original Xray shock shafts rather than bring the new ones down or am I way off all together on this lol

Thanks
Nathan
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NR
I too have the Tamiya shocks coming with the Exotek bits,

What is needed to be done to mount them exactly where the original ones go, and to make them fit,

I have been told I need to ream the top alloy thing to allow the X-ray joint thingy to fit in to the alloy parts, as well as machine the shafts down a bit or something.

However, couldn't I just use my original Xray shock shafts rather than bring the new ones down or am I way off all together on this lol

Thanks
Nathan
The only thing that needs to be done is to machine or ream the TRF top cap opening to 9.1 mm so it will accept the factory xray top mount.. you will use the complete TRF shock assembly itself, no need to mix and match internals, you will then use xray top and bottom mounts along with xray spring perch, they fit perfectly.. pretty easy really once you see it... Hope it helps....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.