R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   buying a new car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/55424-buying-new-car.html)

GReddy 11-18-2004 05:39 PM

buying a new car

hi i need some help choosing a new kit i might race a lil bit but moslty wont i have me eyes on a tc4 or the yokomo drifter or mayb something else

help me?

x-ray_tony 11-18-2004 06:48 PM

tc4 or xray it depends what your local hobby shop has parts for

Nrctc3 11-18-2004 08:09 PM

Depends what you wanna do with it, but I dont think you can put the TC4 & a Yokomo Drifter in the same category lol. I'd personally go with Xray.

ozoner 11-18-2004 08:24 PM

A TC4 would be a great choice. Cheap, raceworthy, a hard-to-buckle tub chassis, and still fine for bashing around.

If you want to drift with it you can add some drift tyres.

These guys saying "Buy Xray" are missing the point - XRays are a beautiful race car, no doubt - but a waste of money for someone like yourself who doesn't know really what they want and (forgive me if I'm wrong) doesn't have any serious intention to race.

Parts availability for TC4 is great too - Tower is your friend.

You might even find better value in a secondhand car, and upgrade if you decide to race in the future?

Rod M 11-18-2004 09:07 PM

Originally posted by ozoner
A TC4 would be a great choice. Cheap, raceworthy, a hard-to-buckle tub chassis, and still fine for bashing around.

so is a Xray T1 Racer,

and not much more expensive either,

ford_racing 11-18-2004 10:09 PM

why not just throw in the question about a hopped up TC3, yes I know it's old but if you're not yet serious about racing it's perfect

Tamiya chassis are generally strong (I have TL01 & TB02) and last for ages, you could look at an EVO3 or 4 also, they're about the same price as a TC4 (In AUS at least)

Javen13 11-19-2004 03:36 AM

yeah i like the tc4 its always a solid choice and almost every hobby shop has or will have parts in for it. if you get a more exotic car like and xray you have to order parts and hope you dont break a part you didnt order

vtl1180ny 11-19-2004 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Javen13
yeah i like the tc4 its always a solid choice and almost every hobby shop has or will have parts in for it. if you get a more exotic car like and xray you have to order parts and hope you dont break a part you didnt order
Same goes for the Yokomo.... If you were to get the Yok, just get the CGM... The drift car is a cheaper version of it....

I love my CGM.... So much that I gave my FT TC3 to my 5 year old son.... Xray is next on my list of cars to get....

GReddy 11-19-2004 04:17 PM

thx everyone and yea i dont intend to do much racing (or not until i can drive)

hmm now i need to find a esc anyone wanna recomend anything?:D

Hebiki 11-19-2004 04:34 PM

Originally posted by GReddy
thx everyone and yea i dont intend to do much racing (or not until i can drive)

hmm now i need to find a esc anyone wanna recomend anything?:D

GReddy

dont be afraid to jump into racing. in fact you already have a good car to race with. The TL-01 will allow you to race in the TL-01 Spec class at the TCS race they hold up in the bay area (Fremont/Newark I believe)

check out www.tamiyausa.com's website and look for the rules for the TL-01 Spec class and you can join TCS and have fun there. if you like it, then dive in and purchase a race kit (i.e. TC4, CGM, X-Ray, EvoIV... etc)

just my thoughts ;) I started out with a TL-01 and i said "im never gonna race" LOOK AT ME NOW! :lol: :sneaky: :nod:

- C

GReddy 11-19-2004 06:34 PM

hmm where do i sign up for TCS?

cause i cant find it :(

hpipro321 11-19-2004 06:46 PM

i think theres a link on the tamiya site
http://www.tamiyausa.com/

GReddy 11-19-2004 06:56 PM

:( still cant find it lol