Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brake cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default brake cleaner

I have been using brake cleaner to clean motors, brushes, nitro engines. Someone on the track told me that my chorinated brake cleaner is corrosive to plastic, and hence not good for cleaning engine and motor. My question is whether nonchorinated brake cleaner is good for cleaning motor and engine? Is there any specific chemical in the brake cleaner that I need to watch out for?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

i have no clue, but why in the first place are you using brake cleaner. If your gonna clean something like that just use simple motor spray that you can get at any local hobbyshop(electric). Or use nitro or buggy blast for nitro. Or even simple green will work.
hpipro321
Old 11-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hpipro321,

I know some people that use it because it is only 2 dollars a can instead of 5 for the stuff we get at the hobby shop.

Raceblast,

Some brands are ok to use on some items. The brad CRC is what i see people use around my local track. It does seem to be stronger than the hobby shop stuff, i have seen it remove/cause chipping of the anodizing on motor cans and also discolor and kind of melt some chassis/plastic so if you choose to keep using it, be careful.

Blake
Old 11-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

motor spray is 2 to 3 times more expensive than brake cleaner. Most racers use brake cleaner to clean motors, brushes, bearings and nitro cars. Since the next race will be 3 weeks away, I just try to see whether I can get an answer here sooner.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Napa sells "brake and electric motor cleaner". Thats what I use. Motor spray is just a non corossive brake cleaner as motor spray doesnt need to try and remove brake dust.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use a brake cleaner called next dimension.. it is used by alot of motor builders.. i buy it at a home improvement store called menards.. it is 1.59 a can.. it is not corrosive or bad smeeling.. it dries faster then any motor spay ive ever used.. and it works... i clean my lexan bodies with it all the time and it doesnt do any damage to them....

some smaller companies that sell motor spray use this type of cleaner.. they just put there own lables on it...
Old 11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

burbs,
have you heard the menards joke?
You can kick me in target, you can kick me in walmart but you cant kick me in me-nards.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 11-20-2004, 06:43 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use the CRC non chlorinated. It is very good for all metal parts, very cheap way to rinse out bearings. I've noticed however it will eat the epoxy coating the windings of some motors, take the finish off cans, and melt some plastics.

I don't use it on anything other than full metal, unfinished parts. I used it to rinse my Monster Stock and P2K motors and it removed much of the gold coating from the end bells, it removed all of the paint from my Fantom Monster.

If you can find the stuff mentioned for electric motors and brake cleaning, use that, it will be less caustic.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

You want to get hold of some "Electrical contact cleaner". It is not as harsh as brake cleaner, and to my knowledge is exactly the same as the stuff under RC brand names. Jonathan.