Wiki Posts
Search

Comm polishing

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Comm polishing

today i was polishing the shafts on a used arm i had with 2000 grit sand paper and i decided i would test it out on the comm and it polished the comm up real nice just as good a my comm lathe would. have any of you guys ever tried that. if not just take a spare armature put it in your dremel at a low speed and give it a try it looks like you just skimmed your comm. i dont know how true it is but i didnt take off to much material. i might just do this in between heats and then each week just true it up before i race again. what do you guys think?
Old 06-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

my opinion is that a sanded/polished comm will never be as true as one done in a lathe - the trueness is an important part of getting a good contact with the brushess.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

ya i was thinking of that but just wanted to know what comments you guys had about it.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Joe
Tech Regular

I've tried it before. All it really does is clean the comm, and it only lasts for 2 or 3 packs. It does help a little, though.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:39 PM
dw
Tech Adept

If your removing enough material so that the appearance is the same as your comm lathe then you must be removing at least as much material at the critical low points as you should if you have skimmed it correctly. So what is the advantage over skimming the motor?
Did you measure the new diameter of the comm with a micrometer to find how much you had taken off? What seems like virtually nothing to you may be in fact more than your lathe would remove. Remember the feed on your lathe is very fine.

The difference between skimming and sanding the comm is that when you sand you cant get the comm as round. You may in fact make the comm less round than it already is which will mean you will have tor remove even more material when you next skim the comm.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

I've done this before with a Dremel, sand paper, an eraser, and Brasso. Works pretty well for those who don't have a lathe.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

i just figured it would be good for someone who may not have a lathe
Old 06-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

This is not such a good idea becuase it can affect the roundness of the comm. The best way to clean your comm is with a fiberglass comm stick.

Speedo
Old 06-01-2002, 07:33 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Generally not a good idea......the important part of the comm is to keep it round....not to make it look pretty (this is just a by-product of making it round!)

You are making it look pretty and forgeting the 'round' bit!!!
Old 06-02-2002, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

i was just thinking the sand paper wasnt taking off enough material to take away the trueness of the comm buy i guess any material is enough, and it does take off as much as my lathe would to get the shiny finish.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

I think the lathe is just perfect to avoid minimal "flat spots" on the comm right?