Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor Question

Hey guys...yep, Im a newbie (but have lurked these boards for a very long time). Got a motor question for you guys...

Me and some friends club race out of our garage. We built a short bullring tri-oval on smooth, flat concrete. We all run 4WD cars and I have a TC3. (we have 5 TC3s, 2 XXX-S, and 2 T-Specs). I am still running the original stock Power19 motor with Epic3000 mhz packs. Im up against two Chameleon2's , a Reedy Quad Mag, a Trinity 19T Outlaw and ---get this---one of those old Parental Advisory Trinity Spec Motors from about '95. The rest of the guys run stock motors too. We have a 19 turn motor rule with about a $35 dolloar limit. (no more than $40 with a good argument lol)

Im running a 78T/15T spur/pinion setup on stock tires. Im ready to scrap the Power19, and im looking at the Orion Element. Have any of you run this motor and is it any good ? Ive read alot about it and the price/spec wise its just what I need. Im assuming it would have more punch than the Power19...Any info would help. Thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

bump
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get Reedy Quad mag....and if you can sneak over that limit, get one with a handwound armature....

I sell the quad mags for $40 and upgrade the armature to a handwound for an additional $15...

Later EddieO
Old 11-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why are you trying to get the guy to cheat?

The Element is a good motor. I don't know the size of your track so I can't tell you how to gear it. Start with the gear you have but I think you will need to go bigger.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

yeah seriously dont ask people to sneak things in and cheat thats just dumb, they put a cap on how much motors can cost for a reason
Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Track/Gear

Thanks guys. Chill Will, regarding the track size when I said it was a short bullring, I mean its SHORT. It fills up an entire classroom (our shop is an abandoned grade school). Its a drivers track no doubt. Emphasis is completely on chassis setup and driver ability. Putting an oval setup on a touring car can be (and has been) fairly tedious to get dialed in, but its a blast.

The straights are about 25ft long, and about 6 1/2 feet wide. The corners are sweeping, and. about 7-8 ft long. There is a dogleg on the front stretch. Its a D-shaped oval, kind of like a mini-Atlanta or Lowes Motor Speedway. (minus the banking). Its actually a perfect track for 1/18 scale cars, which we also run, but the 10th scale cars are too much fun on this little track.

As for the $$ cap on motors, it is for 2 obvious reasons:
1. We dont want the cost to get out of hand for anybody.
2. We dont want anyone to have a crazy advantage. (Although realistically, a big motor on a little track like this will do more harm than good).

Every driver has a rules sheet covering everything from the bodies to the camber links.

(Even though the one guy who claims he has a 19t Epic has about 60000 times the HP that anyone else has. He runs the whole field over on launch and basically has to feather the throttle around to have any kind of race. I personally think he put an Ultrabird in there, but he denies that. He convienently put the guts of whatever he has into a stock-looking black can and he wont let us tech it so who knows what he has in there).

As for gearing, I was running a 72/19, which was great on the big end but the car wouldnt slow down enough into the corners and it was a slug coming off. Then I went to a 72/15 which I liked, and now Im running a 78/15, which gets off the corner good, and its good enough at top end. But I think my Power19 buzzard finally dumped on me. Cuz she aint goin' like she used to...hence my shopping for a new 19t.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, he first said $35....then no more than $40 without a good arguement....seems like the rules are flexible, hence why I suggested a handwound arm if he could get it in. Not only do they run better, but they will require less care than a machine wound arm that runs hotter....

My handwound arms are marked as such....not something that could pass as a machine wound.

Its a backyard club guys, its not a ROAR race.....so calm down....nobody is getting cheated out of national title.

Later EddieO
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

True...its not like we are an official series or something LOL. We are just havin fun with it. We have thought of taking the cars out and running them officially, but we also have REAL stock cars to get ready for the '05 season which starts for us in April.

However....

We have busted a few guys for cheating. (Tire softeners, aftermarket armature in a stock motor, sway bar, titanium chassis parts, etc).

So we do follow our rules, but EddieO you are right, we are a bit flexible. What I meant by $40 OK with a good argument was that replacement parts are bought when neccesary, but mods are only bought with all the competitors' consent. Meaning, if a stock component breaks, it must be fixed with a stock replacement. For example if your stock shock tower breaks, you cant replace it with a graphite one, etc.

We are just trying to keep the cars equal is all...