RP Racing Tires

Old 01-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hi-LowBrow
oh my god !! the performance was same ?????
that charger makes BIG difference !!
it makes punch and more runtime when you got right setup for the charger.

but,,,,FrontLine2 is the way to go now !!

ooops,,,this is RP's thread sorry..
what i meant was.. (since they were practice packs) the punch and topend were the same. BUT i forgot to mention the longer runtime. hehe

oh ya.. back to the RP tires.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We'll start a record breaker charger thread once this new charger arrives

Steve Wang
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Got my tires for testing today. Can't wait to run these things.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

I went down to Speedtech Thursday and picked some RP's up. Built up a new Sedan just to try them out!!! I guess I need to get down to Speedtech more often and get more 411 from Steve!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by rto997
I went down to Speedtech Thursday and picked some RP's up. Built up a new Sedan just to try them out!!! I guess I need to get down to Speedtech more often and get more 411 from Steve!!!
Hey Rich,

Look for me today at SoCal, I'll share with you what we've noticed with the RP, and how to prep it for SoCal

Steve Wang
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

RP tires TQ'd and won the expert 19 turn sedan class at the first round of the Northwest Carpet Champs at Stockton R/C Raceway today. I ran the premounted 30's in front and 24's in rear and was the only car to go 25 laps. Tomorrow is the 2nd and final round.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

since they are made by TAKEOFF (TO)...i was curious on how well
the inserts fill the tire compared to the inserts the premounted TOs come with?

right now at our track (asphalt) the TOs are gripping better than the SOREXs. most of us used to buy the TO premounts but due to the inside wear groove they develop (-.5 F / -1 R camber) even with rotating them doesn't help. we have found buying thicker inserts and mounting them ourselves we get 3X tire wear/life out of the tires.

Note: this problem is not just ours, it is commonly mentioned by others in the TO thread in this forum.

thanks for any info
Old 01-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

At one of my local tracks im running sorex 36s with hpi red insert, what rp insert would you recommend with the rp 36? I love the possibily of the tire coming in quicker. The sorex you take a practice lap it traction rolls, then the first 3 laps or so of the race the car skates, temps come up and its strapped.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

i think your case can try use MS insert if hi grip can use M insert.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

fast-ho-cars - All tires get that groove. How many runs are you getting?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Adrian

yes they do. however the TO premounts seem to groove the fastest compared to any other tire i've had to build. that's due to not many companies offering premounts to begin with. in stock 3-5 five minute runs and mod 3 five minute runs. after that they can split radially at any time.

like i said we have started building our own using HPI, Sorex, Echo inserts and the TOs are working OUTSTANDING for us. plus were getting 3 times the use in stock and 2 times in mod. the premounts (4) are $29.99. building them costs $15 more but has paid off in the long run.

also, our track is not rough and was built for RC Cars.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mo
RP tires TQ'd and won the expert 19 turn sedan class at the first round of the Northwest Carpet Champs at Stockton R/C Raceway today. I ran the premounted 30's in front and 24's in rear and was the only car to go 25 laps. Tomorrow is the 2nd and final round.
Congrats mo

Steve Wang
Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by lawtonlosi
At one of my local tracks im running sorex 36s with hpi red insert, what rp insert would you recommend with the rp 36? I love the possibily of the tire coming in quicker. The sorex you take a practice lap it traction rolls, then the first 3 laps or so of the race the car skates, temps come up and its strapped.
lawtonlosi,

RP-M inserts will come the closest to your current setup with the 36s Sorex

Steve Wang
Old 01-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fast-ho-cars
since they are made by TAKEOFF (TO)...i was curious on how well
the inserts fill the tire compared to the inserts the premounted TOs come with?

right now at our track (asphalt) the TOs are gripping better than the SOREXs. most of us used to buy the TO premounts but due to the inside wear groove they develop (-.5 F / -1 R camber) even with rotating them doesn't help. we have found buying thicker inserts and mounting them ourselves we get 3X tire wear/life out of the tires.

Note: this problem is not just ours, it is commonly mentioned by others in the TO thread in this forum.

thanks for any info
fast-ho-cars,

You can try the RP tires by themselves with your favorite insert/wheel combination. My set of RP40 has lasted 8 runs, and there was still plenty of "meat" to go. I gave them away to another racers and he put at least 1-2 more runs on it. Note that on the 8th run, I still traction rolled. I have a set of RP36 that's got 6 runs on it now, still working very well. A driver's driving style can also contribute to how the tire wear (just like full size racing) while some drivers can easily get over 10+ run on a set of tires, the same set might only last 2-3 runs with some. Not that one driver is better than the other, but just some driver's style are just a bit harder on the tires. Lastly, some racers considers getting 3-5 run more than enough out of a set of tires, and some would like to get more wear, and of course some fall somewhere in between. I suggest selecting an insert/wheel combo according to what you value most, but please keep in mind that if you value longer wear, that might not be the optimum setup for that particular tire Good luck racing, and do let us know if you try the RP tires and how they work for you

Steve Wang