R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nexus-Yes one of the schumacher factory guys ran them this past weekend at ower local track and the 30, 24 pre-glued tires did some of the fastest times in stock and 19 turn of the weekend. They were really good right from the start.
MIP Racing
BN Racing
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The RPxxGL's all com with Medium (RPM) inserts. If you buy unmounted tires you can also get RPMS or RPMH inserts. However, the RPM inserts seems to work well everywhere.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just a follow up on the RP Tires again. On Saturday I started with a new set of RP 36 with RP-M (medium) insert on RP rims (basically the pre-mount setup) just to reconfirm all that we've learned about the tire. For SoCal, it takes about 1 1/2 runs to scrub in the tire, but on surface with a bit less traction, the tires might be good to go right out of the bag. Also, paragon is the traction compound of choice for SoCal and finally, the RP36 seems to be getting really good wear. On the RP40 we were able to get 8+ run on the tire (and still traction roll on the 8th run )

Traction again was very good. With the RP tires, most of the time I do not have a problem with lack of traction front or rear, but I have too much traction all around. With the 36R I traction rolled a few times, but by the time main came around with a few suspension changes, I was able to have a very capable car again in the main.

As soon as the weather gets better, I will try and to some more outdoor testing on these tires. We've tried RP on sealed outdoor asphalt before, in fact EJ Evans finished 2nd at the ROAR region 12 race in 19T class last year (outdoor asphalt at 4 fun hobbies and raceway )

Steve Wang
Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 AM   #49

Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-LowBrow

RP tires are too soft for socal, eventhough 40's. if you really want to use the tire, you should use thicker inner foams like AH/purple or black with them. with bomber? way too soft/thin !!

anyways,,, you should check your lap times. there should be big difference between the first half of the race and the latter half of the race.
if there is defference, that means you're NOT having right choice.eventhough it has good traction from begining of the race.

but,RP tires would be good for outdoor I think.they use the tire for outdoor in Japan too.
Hi-LowBrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Steve, are you or Chris going to be at SoCal Saturday? Donny and I are more than likely going to come up for some racing. We've both got some RP's and will be doing some testing as well.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi-LowBrow
RP tires are too soft for socal, eventhough 40's. if you really want to use the tire, you should use thicker inner foams like AH/purple or black with them. with bomber? way too soft/thin !!

anyways,,, you should check your lap times. there should be big difference between the first half of the race and the latter half of the race.
if there is defference, that means you're NOT having right choice.eventhough it has good traction from begining of the race.

but,RP tires would be good for outdoor I think.they use the tire for outdoor in Japan too.
Hi-LowBrow,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try on Saturday if I can make it out. I checked my lap times and usually the inconsistency is because of me (the driver..haha) and not really the car or the tire. I can see on the laps that I get it together, it varies by .1 of a second, and those that I "brain farted" well...are kinda ugly I'll keep your advice in mind, and maybe I can meet you on Saturday and you can give me more info? (I might have an idea who you are )

Thanks

Steve Wang
Old 01-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
Steve, are you or Chris going to be at SoCal Saturday? Donny and I are more than likely going to come up for some racing. We've both got some RP's and will be doing some testing as well.
I'm not sure about Chris, you might want to check with him, as for myself, I will try my best (pending on how much work I have with the new website...time with wife and family...etc. )

Steve Wang
Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #53
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Kerr
jon... i will try my best to be there. but ive raced tuesday/sat for the last 2 weeks! my poor batteries are dying.

Quote:

hey hiro... ill give you the other side to it. it really depends on your set up for this. i run a really soft set up with my car when i used to run sorex36s. my car pushed, but i knew the limits of the car and i was driving it to the limits everytime. (btw... these tires break the urban legend of "ONLY sorex work at socal.")

when i started using the RP tires.. i got the steering (plus more) i wanted and now i gotta find the limit in which i can push the car, and drive it there. like steve said, the car is better than me right now, so the inconsistencies are with the driver, not the car. my first real race with the tires (tuesday of last week) the car worked great and i was able to chase jose. and we all know how fast jose is!

it all comes down to preference. BUT the premounted RP tires are a good starting point and great at socal (esp for people who hate gluing tires, *AHEM* me )

from there, experimenting with tire / tire insert combination will be/can be done once i can drive the car to and at its limits all the time. for now, i wont mess with a good thing.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #54
Tech Lord

Quote:
RP tires would be good for outdoor I think.they use the tire for outdoor in Japan too.
if it doesnt rain on sunday.. i'll be running these at OC Circuit La Mirada
Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to LeoChan

Hi Guys,

In HK we first time in a race with all HK TOP driver tested was A1 !
in no grip area more traction than Sorex , all use sorex tire lose .

we tested RP the 2nd use like sorex .

RP & Take Off ASIA Sole distributor
E-Mail :[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01083.jpg (116.9 KB, 130 views)
LeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to LeoChan

photo 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01084.jpg (143.2 KB, 113 views)
LeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #57

Thank you guys for the info Steve and Chris !!

I have actually tried the RP tires so many times, but I couldn't get consistent result.
Yes, I know my driving was not good
but even if I deduct this problem,
the result was still not consistent.

I have asked a famous Driver(you should know who he is!)in Japan about the RP tires. what he said was the same.

according to him,,,the RP tires need to get some oil before each run. because the tire get dry sooner than other tires like Sorex. so most important thing with using the RP tire is the how fresh they are and the breaking in preparation.

there is one more thing you should know.
the RP tire (actually CS too !) has slightly smaller diameter than Sorex's.
you have to check your ride hight again, when you use them. this smaller diameter makes more steering though.

anyways,I might need to test the RP more...

thank you guys for the info again !!
and,,,,sorry for the bad English.

Last edited by Hi-LowBrow; 01-05-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
we all know how fast jose is!

yes!!we all know how fast he is !!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #59
Tech Lord

Quote:
I
Yes, I know the driver is not good
sure hiro! is that why you won last sat?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #60

no Chris, the driver means me !!