Community
Wiki Posts
Search

start of my mini onroad track

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default start of my mini onroad track

well i have some shop space thats 15x40 and im thinking starting a small track for minis or 1/18...if that will work?

here are some pic's
the pics are of the same space (each end)

I know the floor needs some help
I think the track will end up as 12x40
so do you think this will work?
if any one could pass on some hints on that would be great
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is the smallest track that we've raced successfully on. Cant give you dimensions I'm afraid, it was too long ago and I cant remember!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod306
well i have some shop space thats 15x40 and im thinking starting a small track for minis or 1/18...if that will work?

here are some pic's
the pics are of the same space (each end)

I know the floor needs some help
I think the track will end up as 12x40
so do you think this will work?
if any one could pass on some hints on that would be great
I think you have plenty of space to make a mini track in there, you just have to be creative in how you use the space and in how the track is designed. Putting the drivers stand at one end means you can use all the width you have, and its width that is your poorest dimension.

15x40 i am assuming that is in feet? So about 4.5 x 12 meters, you should be able to get 2.5m track width all around, just use the diagonal a lot.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

any space is better than no space!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Were you guys using brushless power in these minis?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

most of use use silver cans

thanks roger
thats a great ideal with the drivers stand to be on the end.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Looks like a grow room Sorry just play'n. No really thats cool.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
I think you have plenty of space to make a mini track in there, you just have to be creative in how you use the space and in how the track is designed. Putting the drivers stand at one end means you can use all the width you have, and its width that is your poorest dimension.

15x40 i am assuming that is in feet? So about 4.5 x 12 meters, you should be able to get 2.5m track width all around, just use the diagonal a lot.
Unfortunately you can't, because you need to come back towards you as well as go away from you!

It's not worth building a 1/10th Mini track with lanes much smaller than 6ft/2m-ish - partly because of the turning circle, and partly because of the space you need to get past other cars if you invite some friends over - and you need to have at least four lanes width in your space to get any interesting corners (so you can double back on yourself).

Mini-Z's could have a really interesting layout in that space though.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Suspended

Actually you are right, i just gridded this up on paper and at best all i could end up with is 1.5m (5 feet) lane width, although you could open up some of the corners a little more to allow for better passing room. Either way, it would still be rather tight even for 1/12 pan cars.

That said, i think you could do a field of 1/10th minis on it, christ the racing would be tight and passing would be hard, and it would seem really fast even with silver cans.

Sounds just like something i would like to do, here in Aus we are blessed with 200m + long tracks, 4.5m track widths and the like, 4 such tracks within an hours drive i where i live. What we dont have, is much of the way of indoor/carpet tracks, like in the UK, which are narrow and small.

@ OP, get out the grid paper and see what cool design you can come up with, make it as flexible as you can and even include an oval track within the design so you can change it up how you feel like at the time. Mini's, 1/12 pan cars and even 1/18ths would be suitable classes to run on it.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

sosidge
"Unfortunately you can't, because you need to come back towards you as well as go away from you!"
I dont understan? you should all ways be on the side then?

this weeken we are going to have 3-5 minis runing to test the space it out.
if it dont work i guess we will do 1/18 cars

track update
started to clean up the area

what program do you guys use to graph with?

Last edited by hotrod306; 09-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What about RCP (or gym mats flipped over to expose the rough side) and a mini-z or other 1/28th car? I did a track like that in my basement a few years ago.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotrod306
I dont understan? you should all ways be on the side then?
He was refering to my original post saying 2.5m track width, which was impossible to do.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by utotd2
any space is better than no space!
+1 on that.

My track is small, 50' x 24' with 6' lanes (expanding very soon). It's very tight for Touring Cars but has plenty of room for the Mini's. 1/18th would probably be a bit more fun with the space you have available though. You should be able to come up with a fun little track with the space you have with 5' lanes just try to make a section or two that has a bit more width to enable some clean passing. Good luck with your track. Google Sketchup is a great program for designing.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Something to consider to give you just that extra few feet is elevating the straight. Put your drivers stand in the corner then put the elevated area oppostie the stand. This way you will be able to see under it. You might have to setup some string or something to see what is a good height so you have decent visibilty underneath. Being a mini track you just need a broom stick to marshal any crashes under the elevated section. Best part is you get elevation change in your track!

Quick sketch of the idea.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

this is 36 X 20 and its good but theres not really enough width to do anything but oval in there with 1/18 scale... Mini Z no problem we run them on the track in the pic too but a smaller tracks better...
Soooooo in the name of R/C fun...... take down some walls make that space bigger!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.