R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Xray T3 2011 or XRAY T3R or Team Associated TC6? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/551506-xray-t3-2011-xray-t3r-team-associated-tc6.html)

Mysterious 09-16-2011 01:44 PM

Xray T3 2011 or XRAY T3R or Team Associated TC6?

Hi,
Never done indoor on-road racing before... just finishing my first year outdoor off-road (with a Losi Ten-T converted to electric)...... I'm heavily thinking I'm going to do the indoor season at our local club...... in the VTA class following the USVTA rules.

Xray & TA seem to be the choices of most... I generally invest when I buy with the thought I'll have it for a few years so I buy quality, new, and with the acceptance it'll cost me a few more $$s.

I've looked around a bit and last years models aren't in stock (ie:T5) and I'd prefer new... so it looks like it might be between:

XRAY T3 - 2011 EU

Team Associated TC6

XRAY T3R

So I'm looking for opinions, more opions, the better -- if I go new -- what is the better buy. The local guys tell me parts usually don't break cause we use the 25.5 motors so I'm hoping my parts stock will be minimal... anyone got opinions on buy X over Y/Z on these 3 cars?? If the difference is negligible then $100 jump between is pointless but I don't know about indoor setups so... teach me! :) lol

jubilee 09-16-2011 02:26 PM

I'm in the same boat. It's in my budget to get the T3'11, but I am looking at the TC6 as well. I'll be racing 17.5 spec class though...

Looking at and holding both cars, the T3 just "feels" higher quality. Not sure if that's worth $100 more though.

RC.Jon22 09-16-2011 02:51 PM

Both great decisions, I recently sold my T3 11 for a TC6 since parts are easier to find and much cheaper. For example, one Xray arm runs about $7 where AE arms are 2 for $5. I'd check with your local track and find out what the other guys are running and which one has better parts availability. I know the Xray is higher quality but I love the TC6 because parts are way easier to find and they are like a third of the price of Xray. The TC6 is a great car and Associated has awesome support, including setups from team drivers. Plus Xray has a new car every year so the '12 will be out soon, where as the TC6 will most likely be around for years, just like the previous AE cars. I'd say get the TC6, have fun getting to know onroad, then when the time comes, if you decide you need it, get whatever current car Xray has available.

jrz93 09-16-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22 (Post 9666966)
Both great decisions, I recently sold my T3 11 for a TC6 since parts are easier to find and much cheaper. For example, one Xray arm runs about $7 where AE arms are 2 for $5. I'd check with your local track and find out what the other guys are running and which one has better parts availability. I know the Xray is higher quality but I love the TC6 because parts are way easier to find and they are like a third of the price of Xray. The TC6 is a great car and Associated has awesome support, including setups from team drivers. Plus Xray has a new car every year so the '12 will be out soon, where as the TC6 will most likely be around for years, just like the previous AE cars. I'd say get the TC6, have fun getting to know onroad, then when the time comes, if you decide you need it, get whatever current car Xray has available.

good point cause xray parts are crazy!! $6 for 2x12mm pins (6) duratraxx (10) $1.98...dont get me wrong i have an old t2 and a new nt1...cars are awesome but just to stock some avg parts its like $1000 in parts!!!

1101 09-16-2011 04:10 PM

Parts isnt any issue with xray...Ive had 6 of em. Plenty of parts available on ebay. Just get a few spares for your parts box, just in case you need em on race day.
Be the same with any car you get, get some spares before you need them.(eg belts & pullies)

Ive been running Xray for a few years, never broken anything except belts (from rock in the pullies). My spares box of parts never needed.
The are the toughest cars Ive used. My other cars have broken plenty of parts.

Id admit some Xray parts are too expensive: diff outdrives for example.
I now have a T3R: only real issue is the plastic diff's outdrives are wearing out incredibly fast , even though its only running silvercan.
T3R chassis is really flexi , too flexi for high power Mod BL ???

haywood 09-16-2011 05:16 PM

Parts

Yes the Xray parts are more money but some of the Associated parts you will need to buy in bulk because they break often.

valk 09-16-2011 05:24 PM

you would have to be pretty mean to that tc6 to break it in 17.5. i have a tc5 and never drove a rc car at the start of this season. so my tc5 has gone end over end down the straight many times or worse.
the only time i broke anything was going to a front spool. killed a cva blade... however, ive seen a ton of busted xrays. outdrives sheared, busted shock bodies and control arms.

if i could afford if, id prob run xray just cause the WHOLE club does. but its nice to be different too. I might run a Sakura next year ;)

HarryLeach 09-16-2011 05:38 PM

:rolleyes:

Durability of one car over another is really not an issue. We have a diverse group of brands at my local track, and I've seen them all break, usually as a result of driver error, and no one brand seems to break more parts than any other.

My suggestion when starting out is always get a car that has good local parts support, or prepare to stock up on common breakage items, such as arms, C-Hubs, rear hubs, steering knuckles and belts. You can stock up on more parts than that if you want, but for pretty well every car currently available, you're going to need one or all of these at some point, and pulling a part from your pit box is still quicker than finding, buying and installing a part at the shop.

Get the car you want, keep parts on hand, and replace what you use. Cost and value are personal views no one else can answer for you.

Mysterious 09-16-2011 05:47 PM

Ok, this is begging the obvious question... if TC6 has the advantage of cheaper parts but it a more fragile car and the XRay is a tougher built car with pricey'er replacement parts, then isn't it a wash??? And just come down to preference on initial output vs repair? :confused:

(Other than the great point mnade above about TA cars not getting a new model out each year as quick as the Xrays)

Like, build a TC6 for $100 less than a T3 but possibly have to buy 2-3 times the replacement parts? yes/no/maybe?

I'm not a fixer guy, thats why I bought a Savage Flux over a T-Maxx... durability...

Ok, what really is likely to break on an indoor car? Belts will wear... what else wears? What genersally breaks in a crash?

This site won't let me post a link yet buy if you go on youtube and search "LRCCC VTA" you'll see our clubs indoor track last year....thats what I'll be on..

Jerry P 09-16-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mysterious (Post 9667480)
Ok, this is begging the obvious question... if TC6 has the advantage of cheaper parts but it a more fragile car and the XRay is a tougher built car with pricey'er replacement parts, then isn't it a wash??? And just come down to preference on initial output vs repair? :confused:

(Other than the great point mnade above about TA cars not getting a new model out each year as quick as the Xrays)

Like, build a TC6 for $100 less than a T3 but possibly have to buy 2-3 times the replacement parts? yes/no/maybe?

I'm not a fixer guy, thats why I bought a Savage Flux over a T-Maxx... durability...

Ok, what really is likely to break on an indoor car? Belts will wear... what else wears? What genersally breaks in a crash?

This site won't let me post a link yet buy if you go on youtube and search "LRCCC VTA" you'll see our clubs indoor track last year....thats what I'll be on..

Steering knuckles and c hubs are usually what break indoors. i've never broken a belt in a 17.5 motor race.

Jonnydb 09-16-2011 06:20 PM

i really like the Xray but every 4 or 5 months has a new chassis makes me choose others brands.

haywood 09-16-2011 06:25 PM

Tc5

We ran 17.5 boosted foam tire indoor carpet last year and we had many guys complaining about broken plastics on the Tc5.

Micro-E 09-16-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnydb (Post 9667587)
i really like the Xray but every 4 or 5 months has a new chassis makes me choose others brands.

???? The chassis you buy in 2009 will not perform differently tomorrow from how it did in 09 just because three new chassis (with improvements) have come out since. Last race I ran the winner was a TC3 for gosh sake!!

(I race a XXX and a Cyclone - only reason, I am cheap....:) )

Micro-E 09-16-2011 06:49 PM

Oh yeah, to the topic - - My next electric TC will probably be an Xray. I built a NT1 and it was such a nice, quality build, I have to try an electric !!

RC.Jon22 09-16-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mysterious (Post 9667480)

+1 on the steering knuckles and c hubs, sometimes also arms, turnbuckles...onroad cars are not really meant to be crashed hard, if you crash an Xray at a high speed you will still have some bad damage. I had an accident when I put my first mod motor in with another driver and it cracked the shock body and front arm. My point is they all break, go with something easy to get parts for and have fun. The TC6 and all other AE cars are very user friendly with the build and almost every hobby shop stocks their stuff.