Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I am tempted to do 12th but Tamiya dont seem to sell the RM01 in the uk is there anyone on here from the UK racing one?
I have been racing one, but i'm not located in the UK but in Belgium.
The car drives awesome but i don't use it that much anymore as i'm more into touring and F1.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Got the rm01 on my local carpet track and this thing is a riot! The tcs spec of 13.5 blinky is just perfect. Enough speed for thrills but not overwhelming. Lap times are a tenth or two behind the fastest stock 12th scale times so I must be doing something right. Plus so many people take notice and absolutely love the scale body with driver figure.

Only problem so far is running full size kit tires. The front digs in really hard sometimes and causes traction roll. But as the front tires quickly wear away and I add a little ca to the sidewalls that problem has been reduced.

I would like to be able to true them down and I have an arbor for f1 wheels so I know I can cut down the fronts but have not been able to figure out how to cut down the rears. Has anyone been able to do that?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I am tempted to do 12th but Tamiya dont seem to sell the RM01 in the uk is there anyone on here from the UK racing one?
I asked my local shop, who used to be the official supporter of the Tamiya Eurocup series, if they could get hold of a couple of cars for myself and a friend. The UK Tamiya distributor declined as they will only support a minimum order of one carton. So currently the car is officially unavailable in the UK.

However, I have an RM-01X currently on its way to me by Airmail ready for this seasons National Championships. So we will see if the UK distributor change their mind as round 5 is on their doorstep.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer robert
Got the rm01 on my local carpet track and this thing is a riot! The tcs spec of 13.5 blinky is just perfect. Enough speed for thrills but not overwhelming. Lap times are a tenth or two behind the fastest stock 12th scale times so I must be doing something right. Plus so many people take notice and absolutely love the scale body with driver figure.

Only problem so far is running full size kit tires. The front digs in really hard sometimes and causes traction roll. But as the front tires quickly wear away and I add a little ca to the sidewalls that problem has been reduced.

I would like to be able to true them down and I have an arbor for f1 wheels so I know I can cut down the fronts but have not been able to figure out how to cut down the rears. Has anyone been able to do that?
Here is a link of the tire Arbor especially for RM-01 wheels i have and works great.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a...em/trx-2006rm/
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Excellent, thanks for the link!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer robert
Excellent, thanks for the link!
Glad to be able to help you with the link for the right arbor
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That Square arbor is a very nice tool, picked it up at ProShop Futaba
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the references on rear wheel arbors guys. I think I have a solution until I can get one from overseas. My lathe's output shaft is 1/4" so I should be able to clamp a left hub on from any standard 12th scale axle. The Wheel hub (BB31) from the RM01 has three holes that match the pattern of a standard 12th scale wheel. I should be able to bolt the RM01 wheel hub to the standard 12th scale left hub then clamp the assembly to the output shaft on the lathe. Will try this tonight and post how well it works.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Success! Spins nice and true and produced a nicely cut tire. Only issue is the holes on the wheel hub are a little too small for the 4-40 screws that are needed to thread into the left hub. May not be the best way to do it but if you happen to have extra 12th scale axles paying around this is a nice free way to make an arbor.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"-image.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

My RM01X arrived today. Very nice build. Going to fit a dynamic strut front end on before the UK nationals start, but running the kit front at first.

Modded the steering blocks by taking 1.5mm off the underside so I can run smaller tyres. I now have to dremel the same amount off the top of the kingpin though as it rubs the inside of the Jaco wheels. That's a job for tomorrow.

Also, found the chassis drilled to take a small servo, so my futaba 9650 has gone in.

All in all, a very nice build. Centre shock and alloy 'big bore' damper tube were both very nice bits of kit. Fitted 80t 64dp spur after reaming the centre out to 10mm. Used a 6x10 bearing and its a perfect fit. Shouldn't wear out like the tape mod when using higher powered motors. Only let down is the body posts which won't tighten down.

Now have to wait 2 weeks before I can hit the track. See how it measures up to my Rev7.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Paul Lomas
My RM01X arrived today. Very nice build. Going to fit a dynamic strut front end on before the UK nationals start, but running the kit front at first.

Modded the steering blocks by taking 1.5mm off the underside so I can run smaller tyres. I now have to dremel the same amount off the top of the kingpin though as it rubs the inside of the Jaco wheels. That's a job for tomorrow.

Also, found the chassis drilled to take a small servo, so my futaba 9650 has gone in.

All in all, a very nice build. Centre shock and alloy 'big bore' damper tube were both very nice bits of kit. Fitted 80t 64dp spur after reaming the centre out to 10mm. Used a 6x10 bearing and its a perfect fit. Shouldn't wear out like the tape mod when using higher powered motors. Only let down is the body posts which won't tighten down.

Now have to wait 2 weeks before I can hit the track. See how it measures up to my Rev7.
Grats on the new kit
please post pics when she's all set

fyi, Tamiya have a released a spur gear bearing adaptor, for quick gear changes
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6188
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone tried the 3Racing aluminium rear ride height adjusters from (F103RM-03) yet? I was wondering if they allowed the rear axle to go lower to run smaller tyres, or if they just gave 0.5mm steps compared with the kit 1mm steps.

3Racing also do an adaptor to fit standard 64dp spurs on the RM01 axle. The Tamiya adaptor is to allow the RM01 to run Tamiya F1 spurs, so its still all metric.

Last edited by Paul Lomas; 08-17-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: wrong part number
Old 08-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've read about 40 pages of this thread and I am thinking an RM-01 might be a good intro to 1/12, but as I am starting from nothing (I've had plans for a scratch build but that's hit a few snags) I am trying to get started for the least amount of outlay.

First thing I have to say is that the budget simply won't stretch to an RM01X, considering I need to add tires, batteries and a race legal body as well.

I've noted that some have used kit RM01's on asphalt with success, but the main thing I was wondering about was how well the plastic motor mount survives? I am willing to try using the friction roll and pitch dampers or maybe replace the pitch damper with a shock from one of my F1's.

I am kinda diving in a the deep end as I'll be buying a car and then going to a state titles as its first outing so any recommendations will be welcomed
Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ShadowAu

I am kinda diving in a the deep end as I'll be buying a car and then going to a state titles as its first outing so any recommendations will be welcomed
The plastic RM's are fun, cool, scale, reasonably quick for club racing

However, if you're looking for a competitive inexpensive car to race at a National caliber, find a used R5, CRC, etc...
That would be much easier to work with for spares, setups, etc

RM01X will run with anything though, as it's a full race kit, especially if you bolt on a wide front end
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Cool TCS 2013 GT12

Check out more GT12 Action at Tamiya Nationals HERE

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 08-26-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.