R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default do you charge your lipo pack @1c???

hi all
just wondering if you guys charging lipo pack @1c rate???
Im charging my 6000mah pack @8A
Do you think it is safe in long term battery life or 6A is the ideal?
cheers
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
hi all
just wondering if you guys charging lipo pack @1c rate???
Im charging my 6000mah pack @8A
Do you think it is safe in long term battery life or 6A is the ideal?
cheers
I have charged my 60C 6000 SMC pack for as long as they have been out at 8a (the limit of my ICE charger). I would have used 12a to cut down on the charge time as Danny has told me it is safe and I trust him. So far no problems and over 100 cycles...I quit counting. I bought a new pack recently to see if I was missing out on anything and the new pack runs just like the old pack. YMMV as always...

Art

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no i dont , i charge my Orion 90c lipos at 20A
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Tech Master

20A wow more than 2c!
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
20A wow more than 2c!
it is 4c 5500 mah 90c BUT i dont recomend it , i always watch the lipo charging an my lipos wont last , but with 0 timing class with 1 motor choice and fixed gearing every little helps
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i think 1c would be good standard time for most lipos.

check your battery's info. it will tell you whats max charge c to it.

you can charge your lipo at its max c but for me, higher c means shorter life of your lipo.

in your case 2a over your 1c rate shouldn't make much difference
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

btw my new turnigy 6000 65c said its safe to charge it at 10c which is 60a
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

If you're going to charge more than 1C, make sure you get a very good Lipo battery and Lipo charger. Also, always balance charge with more than 1C to prevent overcharging, which might destroy the battery and make it catch fire.

I've always charged mine at 1C but the battery feels flat. Now I always charge at more about 1.5C to 2C (with good pack), and never have any issue at all, and I get a bit more power out of it.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Charge rate in Amps is recommended by all battery manufacturers. 1C of the battery's mAh capacity is roughly the mAh divided by 1000. Charging current has nothing to do with the output C rating. I'd like to see someone charge a lipo at 65 Amps. 2C of the 6500 battery is still only 13A. The other thing no one mentions is the output voltage of your charger. Is your charger sustaining its peak charging output. Get a good charger.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
it is 4c 5500 mah 90c BUT i dont recomend it , i always watch the lipo charging an my lipos wont last , but with 0 timing class with 1 motor choice and fixed gearing every little helps
I bet nobody pits by you!!! I assume you are joking if you are not just charge your batteries in your house not at the track.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Charging a LIPO w/ a LIPO charger using the standard CC (constant current)/ CV (contant voltage) is how Lipos are charged.

So charging at 1c or 5c the amperage is only HIGHER until the pack reaches it's VOLTAGE cutoff, then the VOLTAGE stays the same as the current (AMPERAGE) is decreased until it reaches ZERO

The ORIGINAL Lipo Charging "Standard" Cutoff was 8.38 for a 2s pack (Now several will actually go to 8.44 or more in lipo mode)

I charge at the highest amp rate my charger will charge at for the quickest charge. I've done this w/ the same packs for over 3 years and they are still performing very well on a regular basis.

Since the charger cuts the AMPS off once they hit their preset LIPO voltage, there's really no HEAT being put into the packs (unlike the way old NiCad's or NiMh's charged...cause they were NOT charging at a CC/CV, they were a Constant Current (AMPERAGE) "CC" until they tripped the PEAK detecter and started dropping voltage. )

(A LIPO WILL CATCH FIRE and NEVER DROP VOLTAGE LIKE A NICAD or NIMH) thus you have to have a LIPO charger. (If you accidentilly charge in NiCad MODE - the charger will continue to charge until the pack bursts into flames or swells to a dangerous level, and will NEVER shut off because NO Peak is ever detected.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I charge at 12A, as that's what my powersupply can handle, but my charger and batteries can handle more.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Suspended

Smile

It's the " what if factor " that sells packs ,and manufacturers bet on it to get your money ! What if I could get that last tenth of a second by charging at 1000A ! Racers don't want to be left out, so they buy. The fear of losing keeps the cash coming ! First they started selling higher C rated packs, now they're pushing higher than 1C charging rates, what's next ??? Nuclear charging, atomic charging !!! Bring your hazmat suit to the rc track ! I charge my 4200mah packs at 3.9A, less than 1C, and I keep pulling people down the straight, those same people that charge at 6C+ !!! Don't you guys think it's in their best interest for you to keep puffing packs, blowing chargers/balancers, etc ??? Don't let the "What if" syndrome kill your fun, when I pass you down the straight !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
2.3 Lithium Polymer Battery
7.4v (2 (3.7 volt) cells only)
No modifications allowed to the case and/or the battery
Any physical distortion, denting, puncturing or damage to the hard case of
the Li-Po battery will deem the Li-Po battery to be ineligible for use at ORRCA QLD events.
Overcharging is not allowed (voltage higher than 8.4v)
Must charge in Li-Po sack or other device (fire mitigation device able to withstand
and contain a destructive failure without showing a flame).
Must be used with electronic speed control that has either a inbuilt cut-off
or used with an external cut-off device installed (6 volts minimum).
Must be charged using a Li-Po capable charger only at a maximum rate of 1C.
The rules state where i live that at ORRCA sanctioned events, you can only charge at 1C. I only ever charge my lipos at 1C, but i do have 8 identical packs that get charged on a 4 port charger. 4 on charge, 4 off charge at any one time. So i have no problem with waiting 60 mins for a charge to complete, because those 4 packs equal 80min run time anyway, i am never without a battery.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
It's the " what if factor " that sells packs ,and manufacturers bet on it to get your money ! What if I could get that last tenth of a second by charging at 1000A ! Racers don't want to be left out, so they buy. The fear of losing keeps the cash coming ! First they started selling higher C rated packs, now they're pushing higher than 1C charging rates, what's next ??? Nuclear charging, atomic charging !!! Bring your hazmat suit to the rc track ! I charge my 4200mah packs at 3.9A, less than 1C, and I keep pulling people down the straight, those same people that charge at 6C+ !!! Don't you guys think it's in their best interest for you to keep puffing packs, blowing chargers/balancers, etc ??? Don't let the "What if" syndrome kill your fun, when I pass you down the straight !!!
and that whole post is an example of a "what if" syndrome....