Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 24mm really enough for today's touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Is 24mm really enough for today's touring cars

Maybe it's time to use wider tires or even foams to take full advantage of the latest touring car?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Adept

I think 24mm is fine.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Champion

Lucky to be using 26mm foams where I race, the grip is on another level...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 AM
Tech Rookie

I understand its fine for 10.5-21.5T but for mod i don't think its enough, i know you see all those world class drivers running them flawlessly but in reality most people can't drive like they do.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

Or is it mod is to fast?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

24mm is just fine

it all comes down to practise and learning to adjust your car to the track you are running on!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

I understand that but i've been into touring cars for almost 20years, i just think its time to evolve, making a fast car that can drive and handle well will be a good start, i mean even for the average joe. Seriously, who drives a ferrari with civic's tires? TC is dying really fast.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

TC has too much grip with the current rubber tyres and that is part of what is hurting the class. Not lack of grip.

If you can't get a TC to grip then I'm afraid it is the driver or mechanic doing something wrong, not the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With electric EP TC being just as fast and often faster than IC TC, i see no problem with allowing the use of foams and 30mm tires.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, theres enough grip for small and medium tracks where you run at slower speed. I am talking about running in a bigger track where we can run as fast as nitro TC. Anyways, don't really want to get into any arguement here, i respect anyone's opinion.

My idea is a car somewhere between electric and nitro TC.

But somehow i feel that lots of people think running foams is cheating.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcnutz
Yes, theres enough grip for small and medium tracks where you run at slower speed. I am talking about running in a bigger track where we can run as fast as nitro TC. Anyways, don't really want to get into any arguement here, i respect anyone's opinion.

My idea is a car somewhere between electric and nitro TC.

But somehow i feel that lots of people think running foams is cheating.
+1

small tracks suffer from high grip / grip roll. And the people who don't race at such tracks who also think running foams on that kind of track is easy - it's no easier than any other track for racing on, or setting a car up...

It is the attitude that people have of foams which is their bug bear but do not show themselves properly as to why they hate them.

Each to their own, yes, the majority of on road use rubber tyres these days as a whole, but if your club race foams, wheres the problem

Each type of track holds its own merits and down sides IMO
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From my experience rubber tires seem a bit more durable then foams, but then again it's been 20 years since I last used foam tires (racing 10/th 235mm pan cars).
I remember foam tires getting cuts & chunks out of them that basically rendered them unusable.
Not sure if foams have changed in that aspect over the years or not so my thoughts could be way out of date.

Another thing to consider is costs. This applies from your local club to national and international events, in the long run which are cheaper or even better value for your $ at the end of your day?

As for tc dying as a class, to prevent that from happening to the sport/hobby it has to be promoted to both newcomers and experienced racers.
Maybe the 24mm rubber tire limitation came from that as it would allow newcomers access to reasonably priced tires and at the same time present the experienced drivers with a challenge to test thier driving and set up skills.

Cheers

Rob.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think 24mm tires became popular because they generate more grip than the standard 26mm ones. I think it had something to do with the contact patch and the pressure exerted on the tires.

But that was more than 10 years ago when tires felt more like an elastic rubber ball. Maybe it's different today with the waaaaay better compounds. I still think 24mm is fine up to 10.5 though.

We really need a new "wave" in TC. All the bodies/chassis look the same, but I think the biggest problem is the complexity involved and/or people giving up too easily.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
TC has too much grip with the current rubber tyres and that is part of what is hurting the class. Not lack of grip.

If you can't get a TC to grip then I'm afraid it is the driver or mechanic doing something wrong, not the car.
+1

I've seen Mod TC cars grip roll on large asphalt tracks, as well as tight high-grip carpet.

24mm rubber tires are NOT hurting grip with today's cars. People not able to properly tune their cars [including choosing the correct tires to use, when the option exists] are what makes it difficult.

There are also setup differences between spec classes [sorry, but "stock" no longer exists] and mod that a lot of guys ignore, that I suspect play into the belief that there isn't enough grip in mod. People that don't routinely or exclusively drive mod simply try to drive around handling issues with the extra power, rather than fix them.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Wink

24mm tires are more than enough, and are being helped in mod by the new ramping esc's allowing racers to run milder 6.5t to 8.5t motors which are easier on the tires in the infield of a track compared to the 3.5t motors of old . On the straight though , that's another story !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.