R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I only messed around with TC, never raced. With that said, I couldn't get mine to lose control and I was running a 7700kv motor and old rubber tires.
marooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #17
Tech Master

foam is really the worst thing that could happen to TC. As someone said " foam died in 2007" and for good reasons.

With the cars being lighter and lighter I'd be curious to test good "modern" belted 21mm rubbers. Plus I think they make the cars look terrific
Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Wink

My idea is to replace nitro TC with an electric class with similar performance. I am not talking about small tracks, I know that electric will have similar performance. I believe foams can obtain a better lap time and much easier to drive in a high speed track. A format like nitro with pit stop(changing batteries/tires) and longer mains.
rcnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Considering early on in the TC days guys were actually trying to go more narrow with tires to reduce drag and rotating mass and still had plenty of grip...24mm is fine.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only reason to ever try to, attempt or create wider tires is if we could get more realistic looking racing bodies. But that will never happen. So with Solaris, Ride, Sweep and Jaco (Plus many more) all making 24mm spec tires, Sorex, Sweep and Solaris (and again, many more) making non-spec tires in 24, why even change?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SiN View Post
Or is it mod is to fast?
Can of worms...don't go there. You will be ignored and talked about if you bring this up. The 17.5 class is as fast as the Mod class back when we ran 9 turns. People don't want to hear about that.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
Can of worms...don't go there. You will be ignored and talked about if you bring this up. The 17.5 class is as fast as the Mod class back when we ran 9 turns. People don't want to hear about that.
Didn't know it was one of them can of worms subjects. But I do admit how fast the cars are now coming back after a 7 year break.
J SiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

24mm tires are expensive enough, no need to make wider tires which will invariably cost more. I just started running WGT and truing tires and all that is cool, but man I'm glad I didn't race TC back in the Foam tire days. Pre-Mount rubbers, no Rollout changes every run, is just fine with me
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE

Last edited by BrodieMan; 09-17-2011 at 02:31 AM.
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutz View Post
My idea is to replace nitro TC with an electric class with similar performance. I am not talking about small tracks, I know that electric will have similar performance. I believe foams can obtain a better lap time and much easier to drive in a high speed track. A format like nitro with pit stop(changing batteries/tires) and longer mains.
in no way should one be trying to replace a nitro class with an EP class.
way too different. if you want Nitro TC performance, run Mod ep TC.
same performance there, and you dont need to change anything. its already there.

i run both EP and Gas, they are very different cars to race, and the way you race them.both have their challenges, and seriously, you take challenge away, and you will get people loosing interest. EP 5 or 6 min races depending on the class you race. Mod, 5 mins is challenging, it is fast paced, and if you make a mistake, it is hard to make that time up in a race. tyre size doesnt change, so your car remains consistant from start to finnish. Nitro on the other hand, longer mains, more concentration periods, car changes so much due to tyre wear, and fuel stops are 3- 4 secs longer a lap. so you are still racing in the pits. if you try to do battery changes, and tyre changes to make EP mains longer, you are experimenting with danger. you are in such a rush to get things changed, that mistakes can happen. if you are the one changing batteries for a driver, and you accidentally reverse polarity, short out , or knock a heatsink out of position, and his race , equipment, or batteries all could be damaged.

i cant see why you would try to make a class like there is already a class going.

as for the tyres, Mod, no problem at all with grip . large open outdoor track that is designed for 8th scale Gas. just a couple of weeks ago, the Gas TC lap record got broken by a Mod car. so that goes to show its as fast already as gas. and if you doubt the consistancy, the 5 min time got bettered also.

R/C numbers in general are dropping, its got nothing to do with one class of racing to another, yes some guys will change to something that is cheaper, and fun, but Fun is had at the top level of racing too, you just need to work on that aspect of racing, and no matter what happens, people will be happy, if everyone is having Fun.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
24mm tires are expensive enough, no need to make wider tires which will invariably cost more. I just started running WGT and truing tires and all that is cool, but man I'm glad I didn't race TC back in the Foam tire days. Pre-Mount rubbers, no Rollout changes every run, is just fine with me
Not to mention constantly changing droop settings. Ugh!!!
Assoc. F6 (Cuz we run them with RUBBER TIRES!)
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
I think 24mm tires became popular because they generate more grip than the standard 26mm ones. I think it had something to do with the contact patch and the pressure exerted on the tires.

But that was more than 10 years ago when tires felt more like an elastic rubber ball. Maybe it's different today with the waaaaay better compounds. I still think 24mm is fine up to 10.5 though.

We really need a new "wave" in TC. All the bodies/chassis look the same, but I think the biggest problem is the complexity involved and/or people giving up too easily.
Staying "on topic".

That is absolutely correct. In the early days of TC there was a trend for "super narrow" 22mm tires. It worked based exactly what (inpuressa) said: contact patch vs. pressure exerted on the tires. However many others like myself didn't like the look of the narrow tires and 24mm was born and the compromise between 26mm and 22mm.

BTW I run 24mm tires in mod 5.5T TC with no problems on a large track big enough for 1/8 nitro. There really is no need for foams in mod TC. However, if you (rcnutz) want to run fast with lots of grip that's easy to setup, try to start an "outlaw" class with Lola style bodies. There you will have more grip than you can handle without having to do much with setup.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

What about a HV(lipo 4S) TC class running 550motors, and foam on asphalt ! There are no faster 4wd cars out there, and you can use nitro 1/10 foam !!!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote