R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #61
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by vtl1180ny
If Baseball can be called a sport than so can RC Racing.... How many baseball players actually get to run? The only person exerting hiself is the pitcher.... I've seen many pro baseball players who were overweight pigs....
Obiously this guy didnt make the team in high school! Baseball is a sport you do strecthing and warm up to practice, and at the end of the day the coach makes you sprint the bases! Why to make you body physicaly capable of being under preaser for long periods of time so when that little whit ball comes at you a couple hundred miles an hour you brain is awake and you react and catch it! When you your body is in good physical shape your brain tends to be sharper on the draw!

Darts game
chess game
checkers game
parchesse game!
archery Pending how played a sport!
baseball a sport
Auto racing ! A sport.
football a sport,
as is basket ball and volley ball! notice that game even though require practice and some physicall exurtion are not neccesarily a sport.

My friends I have been raccing Rc for over 1 years. Its a hobby for the majority a happy have fun game for a sporting good time! (which means for good fun )

"2. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport."

This doesnt mean sport it just for fun!

on the other hand there are some that make a career out of this still that doesnt make it a sport they just draw a salery because they are good at it and someone thinks they are worth paying them! still not a sport!

Gentalmen its a hobby and or a career! not a sport!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:33 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How much of a sport it is depends on how good or bad your radio equipment is.... run away cars provide lots of physical activity. lol

Oh ya, Table tennis at the competition level is deifnately a sport and requires a lot of physical exertion.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

SO if set up a bunch of hydrolic pumps hooked up to servos and a receiver into a NASCAR and drove it from a drivers stand for two hours would it still be a Sport or a Hobby. Here is something so true for all things in life.
OPINION : A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated as proof.
We all have them and they are ours not anyone elses some may be the same but they are still ours.
IS R/C a Sport?
Well I think it has aspects of sports (i.e. it takes many hours of preporation, it takes mental abilities/hand/eye cordination and sometimes it takes endurance(hour long 8th scale buggies(enough said)/ MT's)).
I don't think that it matters if it is ever classified as a sport because I love doing it (that falls more in the line of HOBBY(soemthing you do for enjoyment))and that is all I have to say on this aspect of R/C
Thanks for listening,
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

This is a GREAT conversation! Tons of fun reading it so far.

Remember, as shooky said, this is all opinion. . .fun, but opinion.

There's an Olympic Sport that hasn't been mentioned (that I noticed) - Riflery. There is very little physical exertion involved - the triggers are at less than an ounce pull, everything is balanced so that there is no additional exertion used to hold the rifle/pistol. Many question its qualification as a sport.

In the same way, RC doesn't involve much exertion, as such, but it is physical. The tension that builds in my hands, arms and shoulders during a 30+ minute race is amazing. I'm more tired from that race than from a 3 hour hike up in Idyllwild (7000+ foot mountains).

I think that I would use a more personal definition of sport - that which involves intense competition. Sure, that definition opens things up a LOT, but I think that's legit - and anything wherein we compete intensely involves a rise in blood pressure, heartrate and adrenal activity, it activates areas of our brains that lie dormant normally, it changes our perceptions and our reactions.

Oh - btw, we missed another "sport" - lumberjacking. . . you wouldn't catch near those guys tossing those axes. . .
Old 11-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
This is a GREAT conversation! Tons of fun reading it so far.

Remember, as shooky said, this is all opinion. . .fun, but opinion.

There's an Olympic Sport that hasn't been mentioned (that I noticed) - Riflery. There is very little physical exertion involved - the triggers are at less than an ounce pull, everything is balanced so that there is no additional exertion used to hold the rifle/pistol. Many question its qualification as a sport.

In the same way, RC doesn't involve much exertion, as such, but it is physical. The tension that builds in my hands, arms and shoulders during a 30+ minute race is amazing. I'm more tired from that race than from a 3 hour hike up in Idyllwild (7000+ foot mountains).

I think that I would use a more personal definition of sport - that which involves intense competition. Sure, that definition opens things up a LOT, but I think that's legit - and anything wherein we compete intensely involves a rise in blood pressure, heartrate and adrenal activity, it activates areas of our brains that lie dormant normally, it changes our perceptions and our reactions.

Oh - btw, we missed another "sport" - lumberjacking. . . you wouldn't catch near those guys tossing those axes. . .

lol.agree.even in a 5minute electric race the amount of concentration is unblievable.
after sum races u feel ur head baning but this doenst come under physical exhertion.
maybe our hobbie/sport is a combo of both.
hobport perhaps?lol
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #66
Tech Elite

It's not a sport if it can end in a tie. Then it's a game.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:34 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by psbarger

As Ernest Hemingway said: "The only real sports are bull fighting, mountian climbing and auto racing, the rest are just games."

"Sport" is a word that has been cheapened in modern times.The thing that differentiates a sport from other activities is RISK.Baseball,football,golf,bla bla bla are all just games because no one ever died a fiery death,got ripped apart by a bull,or fell a thousand feet chasing a ball around (or standing on a drivers stand).Football players,"extreme"whatevers,ect.risk injury but not DEATH.

R/C is a personal challenge and rewarding because it requires skill AND mental ability and learning but there is no real mortal danger.

Auto racing-Sport!
Motorcycle racing-Sport!
Bull Fighting-Sport!
Bull riding-Sport!

Football-game
Baseball-game(but a noble game)
Golf-game
Soccer-Gay
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #68
Tech Apprentice

Hmmm....

No football player has ever died on the field? I can think of three during training camp in the NFL since 2000. How about the number of injuries? It seems that 1/8 of most NFL teams are hurt this season. Sounds like a sport to me.

No Hockey player has ever died on the ice? I can think of two since 1998. Plus, look at all of the stitches and injuries.
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DrOlds
"Sport" is a word that has been cheapened in modern times.The thing that differentiates a sport from other activities is RISK.Baseball,football,golf,bla bla bla are all just games because no one ever died a fiery death,got ripped apart by a bull,or fell a thousand feet chasing a ball around (or standing on a drivers stand).Football players,"extreme"whatevers,ect.risk injury but not DEATH.

R/C is a personal challenge and rewarding because it requires skill AND mental ability and learning but there is no real mortal danger.

Auto racing-Sport!
Motorcycle racing-Sport!
Bull Fighting-Sport!
Bull riding-Sport!

Football-game
Baseball-game(but a noble game)
Golf-game
Soccer-Gay

WELL said....

Tony--- i would leave career out of it... just sport or hobby..

KEith
Old 11-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #70
Tech Adept

R\C is really both a hobby & a sport.

In a way, you are exhibiting physical exertion when you're moving your hands to steer or your fingers to control the throttle. Sure, it isn't by any means excrutiating pain(except if you're racing in a gas "A" main ), but it requires physical usage of your hands & fingers.

And also like sports, there is the mental portion that comes into play. Eventually, you're going to need some kind of strategy, & it will come into play.

But, then again, it's still a hobby. We invest in this to have fun. Hobbies don't involve in beating another person or team, though r\c is an exception in this. Mainly, most of us have more fun hanging out w\ the other racers then actually racing.

With this being said, I, again, think r\c is both a hobby & a sport. "Spobbies", anyone? .
MikeAbrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeAbrams
"Spobbies", anyone? .
I would have to say addiction more then anything
Old 11-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rdub202
i definently agree here^
Thanks, rdub202!

bhambrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally posted by psbarger

As Ernest Hemingway said: "The only real sports are bull fighting, mountian climbing and auto racing, the rest are just games."

actually he said,,, bull fighting, BOXING, and auto racing.

no one ever died playing football, tell that to the parents and friends of the 16 year old player that died as a result of the helmet to helmet blow a few weeks ago in seattle.

bull riding isn't a sport either, anything that depends on the whims of a judge doesn't count.

but back to the question of r/c

sport to those of us that spend way to much time and money

hobby to those that show up once a month

Last edited by ritchie; 11-15-2004 at 08:13 PM.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:18 PM   #74
Tech Master

Dictionary.com definition
-a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
-b. A particular form of this activity.
-c. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
-d. An active pastime; recreation.

RC- physical activity unless you have figured out how to control your car with your mind.

RC-Rulesand customs

RC-Competetitive

Physical exertion is questionable unless youve gone to any big races and spent 3 to 5 days racing on 3 hrs sleep a day.

My opinion is that some do it as a sport and some do it as a hobby it depends on your level of involvement. Any sport can be somebody elses hobby.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Its a lifestyle
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote