R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   6, 7, or 8 min. mains??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/54956-6-7-8-min-mains.html)

dasupacat 11-12-2004 05:00 PM

6, 7, or 8 min. mains???

I read on another site that in Japan, they have 8 min. heats & mains. WOW!
With the current state of 3300 & 3600 nimh batts. The extra runtime left over from 5 min. heats/mains would make it possible to at least add 1 extra min. to the end of races. What do you think are the possibilities that the sanctioning bodies here in the states will follow suit and let this happen in the near future? :cool:

microrcdude 11-12-2004 05:16 PM

Well, we would have to do some tests to make sure batts in all classes can last long enough for the mains. I think 8 mins would be real fun.

dasupacat 11-12-2004 05:55 PM

Well 8 min. would be asking too much. 6 min. would be more realistic. Stock & 19t would not be a prob. Mod, we would just have to use a bit milder wind than say a 7, 8, or 9 turn. LOL

Jack Smash 11-12-2004 06:26 PM

I dont think we should go longer in modified, it would definately start a battery war which would drive up costs. If anyone raced dirt oval in the late '80s early '90s, you know what I'm talking about. I really don't want to spend over $120 for a battery pack again.

Matt Howard 11-12-2004 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Jack Smash
I dont think we should go longer in modified, it would definately start a battery war which would drive up costs. If anyone raced dirt oval in the late '80s early '90s, you know what I'm talking about. I really don't want to spend over $120 for a battery pack again.
Yeah, but the cost of racing mod sedan now is high because the motors can't handle the high power "sprints" we basically do now.
I don't think racing 6 minute mod sedan would be a bad thing, we did 5 minute mod sedan with just 2000's.

Jack Smash 11-12-2004 06:34 PM

It depends on what and what the track is like. I raced on a parking lot with a 10 turn and made 6 minutes with 2000's, over 8 with 3000's. Carpet would put a premium on killer cells, sometimes we struggle to make time as it is now.

crimson eagle 11-12-2004 06:42 PM

We ran a 7 minute main for brushless sedan at the regionals last weekend, it went very well.

Matt Howard 11-12-2004 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Jack Smash
It depends on what and what the track is like. I raced on a parking lot with a 10 turn and made 6 minutes with 2000's, over 8 with 3000's. Carpet would put a premium on killer cells, sometimes we struggle to make time as it is now.
no matter what we race or how long we race we will always push the batteries to the limit. 1/12 racing has been 8 minutes forever now and people seemed to be able to make runtime with the 1200's or whatever was available in the day. I remember saying when the 1700's came out that "I'll never dump in 1/12 mod again with all this extra runtime!" IMO someone needs to step in, Ala F1, and either slow the cars down somehow or extend the running times of the races that will force us to slow down. I'm sure there's lots of people that loved to drive totally punched the entire race and this would upset them, don't worry the 3600's are coming out next year and their killer, there's now way you can dump with those!:sneaky:

JDM_DOHC_SiR 11-12-2004 06:54 PM

Re: 6, 7, or 8 min. mains???

Originally posted by dasupacat
With the current state of 3300 & 3600 nimh batts. The extra runtime left over from 5 min. heats/mains would make it possible to at least add 1 extra min. to the end of races. What do you think are the possibilities that the sanctioning bodies here in the states will follow suit and let this happen in the near future? :cool:

8min for me please!!:nod::sneaky:... Thats wha I run in Stock and mod right now.. it`s a blast.. :sweat: a lot can happen in 8mins :lol::cry:
-Dave:tire:

P2 11-12-2004 07:03 PM

Re: 6, 7, or 8 min. mains???

Originally posted by dasupacat

When I lived in Japan last year it was mostly 23T 8 min mains. Qualifying was only 3 mins, IFMAR start, and your fastest lap determined your qual position. 8 minutes is great....that's why I love 12th scale:D

gotpez 11-12-2004 07:06 PM

12th has been 8 minutes forever. Run time was a challenge in stock in the old days, and darn difficult in mod.

We used to race 4 minutes for all other electric classes. Just a few years ago we moved to 5 minutes becuase the batteries allowed it.

Unfortunately, in the old days (and the early days of 5 minutes), batteries were a premium. $120 battery packs were common for those who wanted to run at the top. And these batteries would only be good for a couple of runs.

Now, we have batteries that will allow ALL stock classes to make run time and be competetive without the killer costs. But, we do have a problem with the motors lasting. Especially in Touring Cars, the motors get blistering hot and start to slow at the end of the 5 minute runs.

With current brushed motors, I don't think we should change our race times from 5 minutes. When brushless becomes common, then we should look at it again. At that time, both the motors and the batteries will be ready for longer races.

BUT....... Think about what this will do to the race schedule. It will nearly double the time required for each round. If we lengthen the races, we may need to reduce the number of qualifiers. Compromise, compromise.

rcinsight 11-12-2004 07:40 PM

I would love it if our track in Lansing, Mi would go beyond the 5 minutes.

Once the adrenalin starts pumping let us keep running.

6, 7, 8 minute mains would be great.

BlackKat 11-12-2004 07:45 PM

If we didn't run 6 turn motors and had a turn limit I bet we wouldn't have to worry about runtime.

Insitute a turn limit, a timing limit (no one-run motors :rolleyes: ) and maybe even a rollout/FDR limit

It'd be cool to see some 8 minute races. I'm a fan of the way JMRCA runs their races except for the fast lap idea. Its okay but I think it'd be cool if they used a fastest 5 laps or something.

Joel Lagace 11-12-2004 08:14 PM

I have been racing for over 10 years and all i can say is leave the race times alone.

When i started we ran 1500s, every new cell that came out all the way to the current 3300 cells made racing cheaper for the average club racer.

From gearing to make run time to now finally gear to track and motor demands has made racing more enjoyable and cheaper. IT was around the time 2400s came out that i found run time start to be a thing of the past when it came to gear cars( i run touring cars mostly since 2000cells) Every time the cells get better the demand for top shelf matched packs drops. Sure the best will make u faster but for club racing its no longer a consant search for that majic run time pack. I can honesly race with a lead finger have fun and come off the track with run time to spare and can spend more time tuning the car and gearing for lap times as aposed to run time.

I think if we hit the 4500mah mark maybe i would agree with a minute or 2 increase but motors better get alot better in that period of time.

For me keeping race lengths the same while cells capacity goes up takes out one of the 3 major consumable expences we have in racing(tires,motors and batteries) Its like what slot car racers have. :)

Matt Howard 11-12-2004 08:35 PM

Originally posted by BlackKat
If we didn't run 6 turn motors and had a turn limit I bet we wouldn't have to worry about runtime.

Insitute a turn limit, a timing limit (no one-run motors :rolleyes: ) and maybe even a rollout/FDR limit

It'd be cool to see some 8 minute races. I'm a fan of the way JMRCA runs their races except for the fast lap idea. Its okay but I think it'd be cool if they used a fastest 5 laps or something.

ROAR instituted a 10 turn limit, if tracks would just enforce it now.