Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lthium batteries for Airtronics M8

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Default Lthium batteries for Airtronics M8

OK, I know this is the electric onroad forum but it seems alot of people here use the M8 so I figured this would be the best place to ask. I currently have GP 2300 AA cells in mine and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to use lithium. I basicly want to lighten the radio and extra runtime would be nice too.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

www.htbatteries.com makes a lithium pack and charger for M8 radios.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Perfect! Thanks!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Regional Moderator

I don't think thats a good idea because your M8 will lose its balance when you install Li-Poly battery (very light on the bottom) KO Helios is different story...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by daniz24
I don't think thats a good idea because your M8 will lose its balance when you install Li-Poly battery (very light on the bottom) KO Helios is different story...

AMEN
You might not like the weight change, It will make you upset when you just dropped $100 on some li-poly cell and charger and you put it all together and your M8 leans way forward. It iritated me so much I sold it and got a Helios and have never looked back. There is a reason why the m-8 feels balanced with 8 cells in the bottom, it was designed to have that weight there. Now with the helios it is balanced differently so a li-poly cell will feel better. Just try it, with your ni-mh cells( I.E. put only three cells in the tray One in each section) then see how it feels. I race 1/8th scale buggies for hour long mains and after about ten minutes my wrists would feel all cramped up. If you can handle the mis-balanced then go for it. Just another opinion.
Thanks for listening,
Stephen <><
Old 11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah I hear ya. The M8 is just such a heavy pig. I'm thinking of getting rid of it for the Helios also. The extra runtime would be nice but I also know what you mean by cramping in the wrist from the M8.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

M8 Heavy ? Am I using the same radio you guys are talking about. I have done many races of the hour length and never felt it get heavy. I even used a R1 and it didn't bother me. Maybe I'm just superman. LOL! But to each there own. This stuff baffles me.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

yeah, i'm w/ chris on this one. i've run the lipoly from ht batteries in my m8, and i can't seem to feel a difference, except that they last longer.