Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Does the length of the antenna on the car matter? >

Does the length of the antenna on the car matter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the length of the antenna on the car matter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Even though this thread is seven years old, I'll put in my .02.

I run all my antennas inside the body.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does a cut antennae wire effect a 2.4? Mine has a couple inches off of it from original. It's maybe 5 inches now.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

That depends on the receiver. Some will work just fine with a little off the top, and some with glitch like hell. I used to do that when I first got into the hoddy, but I found out that's a bad thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I accidentally snipped about 1/2" from the antennta wire on my SR3100 (Spektrum DSM2). I haven't had any glitching problems as a result. I only do racing, though. So I only need about 150' of range.

I run my antennas inside the body, but I still use a tube. I just use a BBQ lighter to heat the tube and bend it. I put a 90* bend right about the antenna mount, and then a gentle 180* curve after that. Seems to work nicely.

-Mike
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Guess Im "old school", using 27 mhz FM with the antennae comming out of the shell. Hey it works.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

all my cars only have about 1-2 inches of antenna,so they are all under the body (2.4g)
years ago you could by a under body antenna setup for the am/fm radios
or make your own,its just a piece of lexan about 1 1/2-2" wide with about 6-8 holes up each side,just thread the Ariel threw the holes from one side to the other like a shoe lace
Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Guess Im "old school", using 27 mhz FM with the antennae comming out of the shell. Hey it works.
+1, haha ! 2.4ghz is overrated !

Does anyone know how to calculate the theoretical optimal length for both antannas ? TX and RX. I have had several receivers with damaged antenna wires. In the past I have always replaced them myself with approximately 35cm (14 inches) of wire and never had real problems but I feel my reception could be cleaner with some receivers compared to others, so maybe that could be the cause. Hence my question.

On a related note, I have replaced my JRR1 telesopic antenna a few years back, and the model I have bought was in a plane shop. The antenna fits absolutely perfect ( outer diameter and thread) but it is MUCH longer than the original, when fully unfolded. So i don't extend it fully.It must have been for 4channel stick transmitter. It works OK but how could I know, aside from asking the maufacturer, the optimal lenght ?

I remember a few years back seeing people curing their radio issues by knotting a lenght of tin wire ( solder) at the end of their TX antenna. It worked ! Any explanation to this ? they kind of looked like they were fishing
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by heretic
+1, haha ! 2.4ghz is overrated !

I'm waiting for the next "big thing" to arrive, so I can run 2.4 dirt cheap when the for sale thread gets flooded with the "old" stuff ...
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

2.4ghz seems to be here to stay though...

funny thing is that it's never been easier to use qurtz , now that everyone has 2.4ghz radios. No quartz to change, no blurry cheapo radios tu ruin the signal... just me.

Anyone could maybe help answering my questions above ?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by heretic
2.4ghz seems to be here to stay though...

funny thing is that it's never been easier to use qurtz , now that everyone has 2.4ghz radios. No quartz to change, no blurry cheapo radios tu ruin the signal... just me.

Anyone could maybe help answering my questions above ?
I don't know about the antennae-wire "mod", I think I remeber seeing it though. Yes now that the trend is something else, using FM is super easy. I remember starting in the 80's and radios would get impounded at this one track I ran at, make sure no funny business went down. I had the original version of spektrum when that dropped, but I never really liked it. I'm sure the current version is much better. Whatever though, 27 FM FTW